Safeway Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Safeway CEO Bob Miller
Bob Miller

3,228 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Very good work/life balance for someone with family (in 101 reviews)

• Good benefits, the schedule is the same is some stores (in 114 reviews)

Cons

"Safeway...Where everybody knows your name"

Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

They are very fair with their employees. I had been working at Safeway now for 2 years. The management has always been helpful in helping me reach my potential. I started out as courtesy clerk at a local competitor. I had been at that location for approx. 5 years. When I returned from college for the summer cutbacks were taking place and I the store did not have a place for me. I then went to Safeway in the hopes I could receive a job. They did. I am so thankful for them giving me the opportunity that they have given me. The pay is great and the management is even better

Cons

It is a grocery store...I really do not like the undercover shoppers that come in and critique us

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you are doing

2. "More hours would get better results!"

Current Employee - Bakery Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Bakery Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

Good pay and benefits,If you have been there a while.The customers really appreciate the way we provide excellent customer service,they appreciate us.

Cons

The amount of work in the time allowed.If everyone is not working to there full potential the job is very difficult everyone needs to be a team player.Remember our customers are why we have a job!

Advice to Management

Add more hours to the stores so that we may better serve the customers while keeping our depts looking presentable.Stop trying to make all the stores so uniform, different areas sell different items.Our differences are what makes people shop around.

3. "Rewarding Job"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

I can think of no other position more rewarding and fulfilling than Store Manager for Safeway. Not only was I able to work with people all day long, but 'WE' were able to do extraordinary things and achieve goals most thought unattainable. A great time with great people.

Cons

Work hours can be long and tenuous as a Store Manager or ANY salaried manager for that matter. On easy weeks I would work 35-40 hours and on hard weeks my schedule would reach roughly 70 hours. My position isn't paid by-the-hour, so the more time I spent at work, the less I was compensated by hour.

Advice to Management

Work on retaining talent with better compensation and a better understanding for the work-life balance. Our paychecks say '40 hours' on them but no salaried manager ever works an entire year at 40 hours per week. Help!

"Average interview primarily based on behavioral questions. Predictable."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

I always felt personal rushes when I see the financial reports and hear from approving customers and employees they demonstrate to me how great my store could run at times. There's no better source for exhiliration in a professional environment that I have found.

Cons

Often times it's a thankless job. People are quick to point out what's wrong while providing minimal recognition for when accompdations are made for their particular issues. Work/life balance is often askew as well.

Advice to Management

Important to realize they every 'senior manager' demands their own separate list of tasks to be done and adhered to constantly. This is not a sound business practice especially at the expense of our work/life balance. It is far better to 'consolidate' those lists of demands into something more simple and easycto manage.

5. "Great place to work, professional and fun."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

I've had a great run at SWY. Been a great place to work, advancement opportunities are competitive, but attainable due to growth.

Cons

The only downside is the industry is not the sexiest choice, but work is work after all, but food retail is not Hollywood.

6. "Safeway is a great place to work for college and high school students. Flexible schedules and fun work."

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

The benefits after one year of service are great. In fact they are free. The coworkers are usually fun people to be around too.

Cons

Sometimes it can be a little too 'corporate' but I'm sure any job has that. Sometimes the deli can be grueling work so it is not for people who may be out of shape.

Advice to Management

Promote those who you depend on not just those who brown nose you.

7. "Educational"

Current Employee - Intern in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Walnut Creek, CA

Pros

Lots of room for advancement.

Cons

Vast amount of competition. Everyone looking for the spot you have your eye on.

Advice to Management

Less moving parts. Way to much money is being wasted.

8. "Great Company with Great People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Great benefits
    Accessible management
    Highest ethics
    Community leaders

Cons

Tough industry
    Tough competition
    Tough economy
    It isn't a very glamorous industry but it can be very rewarding if you are willing to work hard and be a team player

Advice to Management

Keep in touch with the trenches

9. "I enjoy working there and it is a good company to work for"

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Chicago, IL

Pros

The are helpful to the customers and enjoy working there.

Cons

Safeway is closing stores and employees are having a hard time finding stores within the company to find new jobs.

Advice to Management

I realize these are trying time for the grocery industry, but when you see other grocery stores like Pete's Produce expanding you have to take inventory and improve our marketing tactics.

10. "My experience was out of this wonderful"

Current Employee - Customer Service Clerk in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Clerk in Oakland, CA

Pros

the employer's and the customer's was very nice and the benifit's, i worked in the deil where al the funs was

Cons

Some of the the customer's was butt heads other then that i had no down fulls. Everything was good, and just fine

Showing 3,228 of 3,263 reviews