Safeway Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Safeway CEO Bob Miller
Bob Miller
1 Rating

Pros
Cons
  • On salary, expect little work life balance (in 86 reviews)

• Upper management lack professional experience (in 105 reviews)

1. "Opportunities"

Current Employee - Grocery Store Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Grocery Store Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Safeway (More than a year)

Pros

Security, flexibility, insurance , people friendly

Cons

Be mindful of employee Manuel rules

Advice to Management

N/A

2. "N/A"

Current Employee - Stocker in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Stocker in Washington, DC

I have been working at Safeway full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

safeway comprehensive benefits are part of a total compensation package that helps you today and helps you plan actively for tomorrow.

Generally, the benefits listed below are for non-retail store employees. Retail store employee benefit offerings vary by location. Our part-time employees are also eligible for benefit packages.

Safeway is a good company to work for. It all depends on which store you work for on how many hours you get per week. The company has come a long way from when they where paying minimum wage. If you looking for a job that with give you experience and over work you. Than come to Safeway. Plz know that certain departments you will be busy from the time you clock in to the time you get off. Slightly above minimum wage - Opportunities for benefits after a period of time - Summer/Student job - *Some* of the customers are cool

Cons

Pay does not match with what you are asked to do. Not willing to promote the right people for the right job. Since the new management has arrived they are to busy patting themselves on the back for something we accomplished before they stepped in.AlsoSalaries start low and go up very slowly. Not much say on what shifts are giving to the employee.Difficult to get hours/schedule that is decent. Working part time? Get ready for 20 hours per week (or less) of 4 hour shifts per day. - "The customer is always right" mentality is a great policy for the store, but terrible for the human-cog having to deal with people face to face. You'll learn how bitter and spiteful some customers are when standing up for yourself will cost you your job. - There are 3 types of employees at Safeway. That hate their job, those that are on their way to hating their job, and those that have been there so long they've just accepted it. - The Safeway company culture cult. Its a pervasive force in working at Safeway, and they really hammer it home during training. The 3rd type of employees are usually fully bought in.

Advice to Management

Stop and get to know and understand your new staff. Trying to manage via the phone or email does not work. You have a lot of good people who have worked really hard and have the passion that you asked for please stop and look what you have in front of you instead of trying to fix what was not broken. I think Albertsons needed to fix their own house before they destroyed Safeway and

3. "my job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Washington, DC

I worked at Safeway full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love helping people. I am good with talking and conversation with people and leading them in the right direction people need to be in.

Cons

working with people with bad attitudes I try to stay away from those employees the best way I can.

Advice to Management

am here to help. I would be one of the best employees that the manager have on his or her team.

5. "courtesy clerk"

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Washington, DC

I have been working at Safeway (More than 10 years)

Pros

be because it a good place to work at

Cons

nice people to work with

6. "More hours would get better results!"

Current Employee - Bakery Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Bakery Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

Good pay and benefits,If you have been there a while.The customers really appreciate the way we provide excellent customer service,they appreciate us.

Cons

The amount of work in the time allowed.If everyone is not working to there full potential the job is very difficult everyone needs to be a team player.Remember our customers are why we have a job!

Advice to Management

Add more hours to the stores so that we may better serve the customers while keeping our depts looking presentable.Stop trying to make all the stores so uniform, different areas sell different items.Our differences are what makes people shop around.

Showing 5 of 3,006 reviews