Safeway Employee Reviews about "minimum wage"

Updated Jan 10, 2021

Found 133 of over 6K reviews

3.3
Safeway CEO Vivek Sankaran (no image)
Vivek Sankaran
Pros
  • "Good benefits health vision etc very nice(in 181 reviews)

• "Good manager, flexible hours, good people(in 174 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Upper Management cant handle stores(in 167 reviews)

• "The hourly pay was under minimum wage(in 134 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Safeway and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "minimum wage"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Good starting job.

Jan 10, 2021 - Safeway Produce Clerk in Bremerton, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great experience for young worker

Cons

Minimum wage not great for career

Social Media Writer

Hello! Thank you so much for sharing your feedback. We're glad you enjoyed working at Safeway and appreciate your suggestions. Have a great day!

2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Not the company it used to be

Oct 19, 2020 - Clerk in Tucson, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

* good benefits after 1 year * flexible scheduling * many store locations & departments to work in * employee discount

Cons

* corporate (division/district) management frequently disrespectful to store level employees * low top wage in comparison to minimum wage & pay scale of other industries * frequently not enough help for work load and productivity expectations

3. 1.0
      Former Employee

There are better options than this

Oct 22, 2020 - Deli Clerk in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I guess you can say working here develops your character as you're forced to put up with a number of things (see cons) . Your coworkers are good, friendly, and hardworking people. You'll develop some killer sandwich making skills.

Cons

Oh God The place is chronically understaffed. There are never enough people to be able to both handle customers and prep the deli. There is always a huge backlog of tasks that need to be done. As a result some things just don't get done like replacing the salads, restocking, and god forbid if you're behind on replenishing the fried foods. There are enough rude or angry customers to sour the experience. This is pretty typical in food service though. The understaffing just makes this problem worse. As a result of the above, the stress level is very high. Management is also real tone deaf. They get on you for stuff they never properly equipped you for. This job is doable if you have to do it (e.g for experience, money). As a college student though there are better options. Retail gets a bad reputation but that is a better option than working here. You'll most likely get paid minimum wage either way so really think about where you'd rather work.

4. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Pay is not good

Aug 13, 2020 - Checker in Bisbee, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

I enjoy the work and most of my colleagues and customers.

Cons

They gave me a 20 cent raise, up from minimum wage when promoted to a cashier. Twenty years ago, in The Bay Area, my best friend was making $6 more per hour, at Safeway, doing the same job that I am now. The pay discrepancy does not make any sense. Safeway is a multi billion dollar company. They can more than afford to pay their employees a decent (or at the minimum, a living) wage. Safeway only gives you two 10-minute breaks if you work an 8 hour shift, one 15 minute break for working more than 6 hours and one 10- minute break for less than 6 hours. They do not schedule you for 8.5 hours with a paid lunch. You are not eligible for paid holidays, vacation or benefits until you have been employed a year. If you want to take an unpaid vacation (of even only a few days), they won’t approve or deny it in advance, so you can not make plans. There is zero work life balance.

5. 4.0
      Current Employee

What's for you is for you..

Sep 1, 2020 - Bakery Clerk in Waldorf, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

You get paid weekly. You work with the general public. There's room for advancement. Both part time and full time employees receive benefits but you have to be working for the company for a year and there is flexibility.

Cons

Not enough hours. Not much consideration and understanding when it comes to commuting in severe and unsafe weather conditions. Although, they can pay a bit more, they do not pay more for experience. They pay the minimum wage amount.

6. 2.0

Bad pay

Nov 28, 2020 - Courtesy Clerk
      Business Outlook

Pros

Paid weekly and discount for groceries.

Cons

Minimum wage pay—not worth the work.

Social Media Writer

Thanks for leaving a review. We appreciate your feedback!

7. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Beware of La Playa Street!

Jul 30, 2020 - Grocery Stocker in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The company discounts were alright when you choose the right product and deals. - There are GOOD and FRIENDLY co-workers in the store I worked at, and the Store Director definitely has a good diplomatic outlook. They really want to make you feel welcome here

Cons

- I find it hypocritical that we have to obligated the CDC health order when our Hazard pay has been cut off as of June last month, no thanks to the C levels and other super high rank executives (And no, they're not planning to bring it back despite the Covid resurging) - Unfortunately, this resulted the store to become extremely understaffed (at least in my stores). Especially those working between the Graveyard and Early morning shifts since there's only one person covering the entire department. -This also adds the burden on our end, because not enough staffing means we have to push ourselves over the edge that puts us at physical and mental risk. - Also, because Hazard Pay is no longer offered, it's getting harder to hire anyone. And sadly, even if you have retail and/or grocery work experience they'll only offer starting at minimum wage, so you can't negotiate better pay. - This ties to the previous problem above because this will discourage new employees from joining the local union, because the net wage isn't enough to cover union dues. - Getting leverage from schedule has become a lot more difficult since the lack of staffs. - This one is specifically for La Playa street store, but getting lunch and transportation there is both difficult and inconvenience if you rely on public transportation (the 5, 38R, and N line are the closest to get there due to covid.) - Another thing from La Playa street store, but for bizarre reason the employee Bathroom/Break/Locker room gets to an unhygienic mess.

2 people found this review helpful
    8. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good in the Long Run

Sep 27, 2019 - Bookkeeper in Vacaville, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

It's definitely a good first job and an even better career if you can make yourself work there for 10+ years. The workload is not unreasonable and the union protects your rights. Fair amount of opportunity for advancement. You typically get hour-long lunches and they are mostly willing to be flexible with your school or personal schedule. Once you've been there for many, many years, you receive benefits, are at the top of your pay scale which is surprisingly high, and have a fairly stable weekly schedule.

Cons

The union works against you sometimes unfortunately, especially when it comes to pay in your first few years. You start at minimum wage as a Courtesy Clerk and when you finally work your way up to a department, you only earn .25 cents more an hour. Your pay bumps increase by <$1.00 a year even though you are doing much more specialized and difficult work. Time off and sick days are always a battle since the store is perpetually understaffed. I've heard it has stabilized since I left in 2015, but I quit due to 3 new store managers taking over in less than a year. Newer management would always try to reinvent the wheel and would often demand that you do work outside your department while still accomplishing all your tasks within your own department. All this while maybe making $1.00 above minimum wage.

9. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Do not waste your time please

Dec 3, 2020 - Customer Service in Phoenix, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Breaks Holiday Pay Easy job Weekly pay

Cons

Management Customers Unrealistic expectations for minimum wage Micromanaging

Social Media Writer

We’re so sorry that your experience at Safeway did not match your expectations. Please help us to improve by providing more information on your experience. I can be reached at kelly.brown@albertsons.com. Thank you so much!

10. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Company doesn't care about it's employees

Aug 1, 2020 - Bakery Clerk
      Business Outlook

Pros

They allow for a flexible schedule. Room for advancement into management positions.

Cons

The company doesn't want to spend money to protect it's employees, especially during the pandemic. The pay is minimum wage, yet they say they have competitive wages. Poor communication within the company and within my store.

1 person found this review helpful