Safilo Reviews | Glassdoor

Current Employees

2.6
Luisa Delgado

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Working as a team with great people (in 4 reviews)

• Company has great reputation in the industry, but could definitely use a little modernization (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The new CEO and top management talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk (in 4 reviews)

• Absolute Chaos when it comes to Employee policies, no-one has any clue (in 4 reviews)

1. "Outside sales rep 1098"

I have been working at Safilo (Less than a year)

Pros

1099, work for yourself, unlimited income, great product

Cons

Huge Backorder problems, 1099, no benefits, no expenses paid

"Decent but not great"

Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Safilo full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Constant, fast-paced work. Employer has trust in employees to make their own decisions. Business casual dress code and flexible hours for specific departments.

Cons

Benefit packages has been getting worse year by year. Employer is focused on lean management which is saving costs, but at the expense of losing valuable, long term employees.

Advice to Management

Value your employees; treat them with respect which will encourage their contribution. There is too much complacency in the workplace, most workers just do the bare minimum to accomplish their tasks.

"Not Recommended"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Safilo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits. That's the only good thing I could think of.

Cons

Very Old fashioned and micro managing company which doesn't believe in promoting its talent

Advice to Management

Needs to have a modern outlook to grow

4. "Going through changes"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Safilo as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company has great producs, there are flexible work hours, you schedule own appointments. Potential to make 100K+s because 100% commission.

Cons

Extensive backorders which means unavailable product.
    Only get paid when orders ship
    Certain brands are limited distribution so not available to all doors

Advice to Management

Respect your sales force. Reps are the reason for income and they are treated like step kids. There is no help from management. The accounts should be the focus of the team and they are not.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Safilo full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Health Benefits, increase set for 2017, copay and premium double in cost. Reducing life insurance for everyone except senior mgmt.

Cons

Corporate restructuring 20/20 transformation in progress since 2014. Senior executives CFO, COO, resigned and joined competition. Other long tome employees leaving to do same. Performance appraisal raises set up to give bonus and raises to top 10% of employees. No incentives for 80% loyal hard working staff. Morale low, demotivating.

Advice to Management

Talk less, listen more, less meetings and follow your own PVPC culture. It starts at the top, set the example because action speaks volumes. It's not always METRICS & KPI'S, the people are your most valued assets, treat them as such. Lead by example, i.e. Eyewear company should provide one free frame per year from core collection as a benefit.

"Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

Pros

Safilo is well respected in the eyewear industry, having a proven record of manufacturing and distributing high-quality ophthalmic frames and sunwear. The brands in their portfolio are highly recognized, albeit with more emphasis on North American and proprietary collections. The North American sales and distribution operation will soon have executive representation on equal footing with European divisions.

Cons

2016 is a year of transition for the company with the loss of Gucci, a flagship brand. The executive team in Italy is addressing improvements in manufacturing and distribution while restructuring the management and operations teams in the U.S. The result of all this change is disorder, uncertainty about the brand portfolio, poor delivery of product (backorders and mistakes in orders) and the loss of experienced people who have significantly contributed to the Safilo brand.

Advice to Management

1.Expand WORLD recognized brand portfolio. 2.Stabilize management team and expand Sales Director team. 3.Understand the needs of the sales team and respond strategically to market challenges. 4. Improve communication with North American organization about the Safilo strategies. 5. Develop plans to meet corporate goals by involving U.S. sales and operations teams. Get buy-in to achieve results from your people.

"Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Providence, RI

I have been working at Safilo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great lines great reputation old company lots of respect

Cons

Management changes all out of Italy

Advice to Management

none

"Manager"

I have been working at Safilo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Safilo is going through many changes right now - all positive. Without change one becomes stale; this is true for a company as well as an individual. I have been with several companies and never have I met more passionate and caring people. If you are new everyone wants to know who you are and welcomes you. This is thanks to all the employees that have been devoted to Safilo for so long.
    We have put into place new processes so that our employees can grow. Safilo recognizes its employees and takes the steps to develop the full potential of their employees. We have in place a performance management process that helps managers achieve the goal of getting the best from their employees.
    We have established relationships with local universities. We have a relationship with Special Olympics. We have amazing brands. We have career paths for our employees and give them the opportunity to grow. We have very generous benefits. We have an onsite cafeteria. We organize internal events, most recently Take Our Children to Work Day.

Cons

Some employees find the rapid change challenging. Safilo has become a company where you "wear many hats" vs. before you wore one. If you do not find an entrepreneurial environment exciting then this may not be the place for you.

Advice to Management

It is understandable to expect employees to react to change since the process of change involves going from the known to the unknown. Continue to have Town Hall Meetings. Continue to have breakfast meetings. Continue to support your employees and continue to encourage them to participate, in the decision making, with what works, what needs to stop, and what we need to introduce.

"Stay away"

Pros

Nothing at this point. The company lacks professionalism, integrity and values. You are not important. Nothing positive is left of the company.

Cons

It was a great company until the Italians took over with their benchmarking(favoritism) attitude. All the Italians receive housing, car allowance, Italian benefits and US benefits, Star bonuses plus plus plus more. Americans receive a bogus performance review based on rating that a manager w preference has and will dictate on favoritism not actual performance. HR dept in NJ is unprofessional and lack compassion. They took everything away and expect you to work more with no incentives. Stay away from the company it's a joke.

Advice to Management

Stop the favoritism and base reviews on actual
    Performance. Bring back all the incentives that add the company great. HR needs improvement as the personnel lack professional or skills

Current Employee - Manager in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Manager in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Safilo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working as a team with great people. Seeing employees’ personal development and progress along with some getting promotions as a result of their efforts.

Cons

Going through changes as an organization can be challenging. For the most part I see this as being a good thing and exciting but not everyone feels this way. If you like things to stay as they were and don't value innovation and new then this is not this place for you. But if you are challenged by new, want to be a part of changing what's outdated and old then this is the place for you. This con is a matter of individual perspective.

Advice to Management

Keep improving processes to build a stronger company. Share all the why's to help those who struggle more with change. No such thing as too much information.