Safilo Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 19, 2017

4.0
Luisa Delgado

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Company has great reputation in the industry, but could definitely use a little modernization (in 4 reviews)

• Absolutely no pros I can think of (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The new CEO and top management talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk (in 4 reviews)

• Ping Pong Attitude when it comes to responsibility, makes absolutely no sense to work for leaders who would not stand for you (in 3 reviews)

1. "Trade Marketing Intern"

Current Intern - Trade Marketing Intern in Miami, FL
    Current Intern - Trade Marketing Intern in Miami, FL

I have been working at Safilo as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment, helpful coworkers, global company in the fashion industry with a great portfolio of brands to develop the business everywhere.

Cons

weak structure of the teams in some of the locations, ambitious without enough tools to be able to work and develop a great business.

Advice to Management

keep up the ambitious, always aim for more but you need to have the resources to be able to deliver.

2. "Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Vestavia, AL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Vestavia, AL

I have been working at Safilo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Independent contractor, flexible hours, travel is a must

Cons

Independent contractor, no benefits, not a stable environment, no reimbursement, file your own taxes

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Manager in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Safilo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working as a team with great people. Seeing employees’ personal development and progress along with some getting promotions as a result of their efforts.

Cons

Going through changes as an organization can be challenging. For the most part I see this as being a good thing and exciting but not everyone feels this way. If you like things to stay as they were and don't value innovation and new then this is not this place for you. But if you are challenged by new, want to be a part of changing what's outdated and old then this is the place for you. This con is a matter of individual perspective.

Advice to Management

Keep improving processes to build a stronger company. Share all the why's to help those who struggle more with change. No such thing as too much information.

"Manager"

I have been working at Safilo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Safilo is going through many changes right now - all positive. Without change one becomes stale; this is true for a company as well as an individual. I have been with several companies and never have I met more passionate and caring people. If you are new everyone wants to know who you are and welcomes you. This is thanks to all the employees that have been devoted to Safilo for so long.
    We have put into place new processes so that our employees can grow. Safilo recognizes its employees and takes the steps to develop the full potential of their employees. We have in place a performance management process that helps managers achieve the goal of getting the best from their employees.
    We have established relationships with local universities. We have a relationship with Special Olympics. We have amazing brands. We have career paths for our employees and give them the opportunity to grow. We have very generous benefits. We have an onsite cafeteria. We organize internal events, most recently Take Our Children to Work Day.

Cons

Some employees find the rapid change challenging. Safilo has become a company where you "wear many hats" vs. before you wore one. If you do not find an entrepreneurial environment exciting then this may not be the place for you.

Advice to Management

It is understandable to expect employees to react to change since the process of change involves going from the known to the unknown. Continue to have Town Hall Meetings. Continue to have breakfast meetings. Continue to support your employees and continue to encourage them to participate, in the decision making, with what works, what needs to stop, and what we need to introduce.

5. "Territory manager"

Former Employee - Territory Manager
    Former Employee - Territory Manager

I worked at Safilo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great brands, flexible schedule, good compensation program, good family work schedule. Always something new around the corner. Great training and people you work with.

Cons

Loss of key management, changing the how you qualify for bonus. Limited communication up th chain of command . Top down management do not listen to the needs in the field

Advice to Management

Customers come first

"Through the lens"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Safilo full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Like any company your experience will be dependant on your manager. I had a great one so I was lucky. You might not be so lucky in which case watch your back Jack. Safilo along with Luxottica are the big players in the optics field. Both have prime locations and desirable brands. I found Safilo to be a more ethical company thus I stuck with them when offered much higher salaries.

Go into the company strong but make sure that you weight your deal on a production basis, which you will make if you work smart and foster good relationships with the people in the chain of command. I started at the company on a higher salary than the person who recommended me. The keys to success are know your product, perform with integrity and be proactive in insuring you have stock which will always be a little hit and miss in regards to arriving. In New York you won't have that problem. Everywhere else you need to hustle to make sure you don't lose market share to competitors.

Cons

This is a mixed ability, mixed ethics company so learn to discern good people from not so good ones and if you have to deal with the not so good ones who have mastered the art of kissing "the right bottoms" be careful. Unless you are extremely well preserved think Halle Berre, forget working for this company as they are selling youth so ageism is alive and well in this enterprise.

Advice to Management

Discern between good employees and brown nosers. Fix your logistics problems as this is the twenty first century. Hire some ex Amazon employees because you really lag in this area of your business. Lead with integrity so that this expectation permeates all levels of the company. Do this and you would experience growth in areas other than New York, Beverly Hills and Texas. Don't let figures that show growth fool you into complacency in regards to putting sound twenty first century management practices into effect.

Mid level territories management need to raise their game and infuse employees with the training to feel confident and enthusiastic. Internet and social media you need to hire good people and let them do their jobs in order to increase profitability and protect the brands.

7. "Pretty Good"

Pros

Decent benefits, location, the people.

Cons

Salary could have been more competitive.

Advice to Management

Agree with above post.

8. "International mentality and orientation career wise , mostly meritocratic (but still an Italian company so exceptions..)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Padova (Italy)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Padova (Italy)

I have been working at Safilo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ok benefits/ specialized in luxury segment/ international orientation and career prospects/ differentiated sales channels and segments/ overall business culture pleasant and family-like

Cons

Long hours/ low pay/ too many management layers/ already at middle management way too much time eaten up by endless meetings and too little contact with clients

Advice to Management

Product coordination needs to understand reality of market more (too much design-focused) and so dialogue with commercial side / sales force is necessary (seems not to exist at the moment)

9. "n stock"

Current Employee - Stock Controller in Johannesburg (South Africa)
    Current Employee - Stock Controller in Johannesburg (South Africa)

I have been working at Safilo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very good environment to work in, great people, and good working hours.

Cons

I don't have any cons yet.

Advice to Management

keep it up

"Sales Rep for Safilo for 5 years"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Samara, Samarskaya Oblast' (Russia)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Samara, Samarskaya Oblast' (Russia)

I worked at Safilo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great brands, good logistics, great market opportunities

Cons

Not enough trade marketing support

Advice to Management

No advice