Sage Reviews in Beaverton, OR | Glassdoor

2.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sage CEO Stephen Kelly
Stephen Kelly

Pros
  • Growing company with great work life balance (in 69 reviews)

• Good benefits and rewards from the company (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • It's sad when upper management tells you if you don't like it find another job (in 51 reviews)

• North American senior management needs to appreciate hardworking employees (in 23 reviews)

"Good Company"

Current Employee - Business Care Account Manager in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Business Care Account Manager in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture is relaxed, for the most part.

Cons

Almost impossible to get promoted

Advice to Management

Stop hiring temps. Promote, train, and value your current employees

"Sage IT Department"

Former Employee - Desktop Support Analyst in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Desktop Support Analyst in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Sage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Work Life Balance - Family First - Managers are never there - Managment gives you trust and hires you for your knowledge.

Cons

The company is falling apart, Stephen Kelly has not turned the company around as you can see that from the inside. Its hard to pretended but everything is falling apart. Enough said I don't want to go into detail.

Advice to Management

Don't talk to your employee's backs especially to non-management.

"Installations and Systems"

Current Contractor - Installation Technician in Beaverton, OR
    Current Contractor - Installation Technician in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Sage as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

There are lots of different environments to work in and problem solving daily.

Cons

Hiring freeze Stress and fear rule at Sage people are either fired or "let go" for no apparent reason - contractors used to scare permanent employees job security.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like real people and not just numbers

"The devil you know vs the devil you don't."

Current Employee - Customer Support Analyst in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Support Analyst in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance
    Good salary
    Multiple products
    Sales, support and development in one building.

Cons

The focus has stepped away from technology and leaned more towards marketing.
    Promotion process is long and difficult.
    You can come to work everyday and be a good employee that gets the job done and receives high scores, but it's not good enough, yet an employee that calls in sick all the time, makes customers angry and had been on multiple behavior plans will be promoted and given opportunities that advance their careers because the manager likes them.

Advice to Management

Be professional. Be a leader. Be real.

Sage Response

Oct 31, 2016 – Group Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for your review and we are pleased to hear your work-life balance is positive and your salary is competitive as we work hard in these areas. We are starting a new leading for leaders ... More

"Good First Experience"

Former Intern - Intern in Beaverton, OR
    Former Intern - Intern in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Sage as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Being around a team of people who were eager to teach me helped me learn quickly.
    A lot of the employees seemed very friendly and the facilities were pretty fantastic.

Cons

A lot of what went on felt like busy work, not just for me but for everybody. The company felt bloated and has only gotten worse from what I hear.

Advice to Management

An effort to streamline and allow for people to have less manager overlook might help you thrive.

"Don't Waste Your Time - the stress is NOT worth it!"

Former Employee - Customer Support Analyst (Then Associate) in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Support Analyst (Then Associate) in Beaverton, OR

Pros

When I started over 2 years ago, there were weekly team meetings, monthly or quarterly campus wide or company/division/country/region-wide meetings during which we heard about/discussed notable news/events/issues. We had scheduled time off the phones to work on customer projects, get help from other team members, or learn/explore skills to improve our roles. There were reasonable metrics and expectations in terms of taking time to ensure customer needs were met/exceeded. I remember more sharing, offers for help/advice, camaraderie in general. It was a pleasant and hopeful (in terms of job security/career advancement) place to work. I almost remember being proud to work there and sharing my experience and loyalty to the company/brand with nearly everyone I encountered outside. Customers would routinely sing praises to Sage, primarily based on their interactions with support.

Cons

And then it slowly began to change...the quaint and delightful meadow eroded into an oozing swampy cesspool. Middle management became MICRO management and all sense of value (for the individual contributions of employees as team members) gave way to backstabbing, malicious gossip, every-man-for-themselves as the ship ran a ground. I could go on and on about the ineptitude, but that may be immature. So back to the ship! The first wave of rats began leaving and then the next wave of sensible professionals. And for what? Changes made with the customer in mind - all for the customer, but in fact HAPPY employees is what truly delights customers (when it comes to contacting customer service/tech support). Oh sure, the numbers looked good on paper (because you cheated by creating a new queue to dump calls in), but customers were no longer being delighted. People need to work to live though, so what they are left with is those who have been beaten down and sullied and an endless wave of new recruits. I can not recall one hopeful memory or bit of good from the end of my time there...as a very talented individual/HUMAN BEING, I took my brilliant skills elsewhere (before I had a nervous breakdown or stroke because you will be pushed to the very brink!). Haha - if you are a masochist, Sage is the perfect place for you!

Advice to Management

It's hard to know where to start...obviously Sage is not a non-profit. Technology is a competitive industry. Sage has talent and resources and a fabulous marketing group to convert the masses. Customers for life begins with the employees who have direct contact with them, especially on a frequent basis and when things are going wrong or they need help. Those of us who SUPPORT customers are the ones doing alot of dirty work with very little demonstrated appreciation for it. Employees who just do their jobs are not delighting customers - employees who LOVE their jobs are! When I left, customers for life to me meant being lured in by a delightful fairy tale and then finding you're trapped "for life" once you've invested in and adopted the software. As a customer, I would be enraged (as so many I talked to daily were) at the lack of value for that investment. Lack of value really boiling down to who it was who answered the phone - employees who were empowered and valued vs. employees who were just another faceless voice advising them to look it up in the Knowledgebase or call their consultant for assistance/training. As a small business entrepreneur and bookkeeper, I find myself being asked constantly about software (and now I work in the construction industry) and guess what I say about Sage? Yeah, well it was a good company once and then like so many good companies, someone else came in, took over and decided to make a run for increased profits without considering what the actual equation for that outcome is. Sadly, critical variables were overlooked or thrown out entirely and now you're just left with a delicate and somewhat meaningless shell. Personally, I do business with companies that value their employees - that usually means that they are trustworthy and have integrity which will show up in the course of customer relationships too. Happy employees are a company's best asset and marketing tool. Such a shame that a rich resource like that is going to waste...

"Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Analyst in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Sage full-time

Pros

Great team to work with each day. With what training they give to analyst we seem to manage surprisingly well.

Cons

Senior Analysts are severely underpaid and over worked. The raise opportunities are not honored as they were told to employees upon being hired.

Advice to Management

Reward your hardworking employees by promotions and raises consistent with the industry.

Sage Response

Apr 29, 2016 – Internal & External Communications Specialist, NA

Thank you for your review of Sage. At Sage, we believe fit and synergy are just as valuable as skill-set, so we are happy to hear you enjoy working with your team of colleagues. It sounds as if there ... More

"It"

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, option to work from home, traces of the original Timberline culture still occasionally encountered. Average benefits. Average compensation.

Cons

Company reduces employee benefits every couple is years. Management ideology does not match situation on the ground. Very structured with little room for creative movement. (Even the height of every desk in the building is mandated by a company policy.)

Advice to Management

The talk is great, let's do the walk now. Treat employees as assets instead of expenses. Stop saying 'One Sage' and reducing benefits for Beaverton employees only.

"Consider this your fair warning"

Current Employee - Support Analyst in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

When I started out years ago, the company was awesome. Our Beaverton, OR location won many awards (i.e. best places to work in Oregon etc.). When Sage bought us out in 2003, it was still a good place to work. It was truly employee focused. Management cared about employees and we truly saw this day in and day out. I referred many friends and family to Sage because I loved where I worked. However, we've had many changes throughout the years. Unfortunately, that's where the positives end.

Cons

As of now I cannot bring myself to refer people I care about to this company. The only people I'd consider referring are random people off the street or my enemies.

PTO caps got dropped ridiculously low from 200+ to 80, 40 and 0. Obviously it's all about the bottom line but they claim it's for our employee wellness. Before that, it was something ridiculous called Project Himalaya. What a joke that was. We lost so many talented and irreplaceable employees and no one cared to rehire more people or retain them.

The majority of employees have no faith in Sage's current direction. All the rats are jumping ship with people quitting left and right. That should tell you something.

The CEO has no clue about our business other than making us "the prettiest girl at the bar" and that we don't have to be the smartest one there if I recall his words correctly. We used to have a few hours a day to work on our support issues. They took away 30 mins to an hour at a time over the years and guess how many hours we have in the day to work on support issues now? ZERO. We're just mindless knowledgebase monkeys taking incoming phone calls now just like a low budget call center. I would not be surprised if they start decreasing our desk sizes to fit more KB monkeys or ship jobs to third world countries.

But why is all this happening? Obviously we are a publicly traded company so our CEO has only one (legit) goal: Increase our stock price. After all, he has a few million dollars invested in it at a certain price. You can increase a company's profit by encouraging employees to work harder through management responsibility and a good working environment, or you can cut costs, reduce pay, reduce PTO, lay off people etc. Want to guess which way the decision makers went? Our CEO will be with us I think until 2020, hence the 2020 goal? That's when I'm guessing he can sell his shares or something.

11. "GREAT place to work!"

I have been working at Sage full-time

Pros

Good work environment. Great benefits and salary. I have worked at other support centers and have never been treated as well as I have been at Sage. Opportunities for advancement are very achievable!

Cons

Really do not have any cons

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!