Sage Hospitality Reviews in Charlotte, NC | Glassdoor

1.6
Walter L. Isenberg
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Benefits include a free public transportation (RTD) pass, on-site gym, planned community service opportunities and lots of fun people to work with (in 6 reviews)

• good benefits, fun team, active work environment (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is complacent and too comfortable (in 8 reviews)

• Back to the low pay everyone seems to look out for number one instead of taking care of the people that do the grunt work so turn over rate is high (in 7 reviews)

1. "Dissatisfaction"

Current Employee - Housekeeper in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Housekeeper in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meet differ people of many backgrounds and it's enjoyable experience
    Great discounts on hotels
    Good benefit

Cons

Understaffed and underpaid
    Managers speaks very poorly about other managers and staff
    Strong levels of favoritism
    People threaten to quit all of the time
    HR not helpful or on your side
    Managers not anonymous always talking people busy and about people
    Managers come/go when they want not get paid for doing nothing
    Alot of drama
    Alot of stress
    Alot of pressure
    No support at all
    Managers does not work together at all within this company higher management is all about themselves and belittle everyone else, always talking about each other how can you provide leadership when you are not being a leader or good example this is a good company with great potential but the higher management is not a good example or anyone I would want to represent

Advice to Management

Communicate better
    Work together
    Create a team not divide
    Appreciate hard work
    Work and assistant on busy times
    Be more respectful

Jul 11, 2017 – Co-Founder, President and CEO

Thank you so much for your honest feedback about your experience at Sage. I appreciate that you see what a great company we strive to be and providing great benefits to our associates. It sounds... More

2. "Look Elsewhere if in North Carolina"

Current Employee - Food and Beverage Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Food and Beverage Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paycheck, some benefits, good coworkers to suffer with, that's about it. I've heard if you're closer to head office it's a lot better.

Cons

Wages are not competitive, since the head office is in Denver they want to micromanage upper management with constant conference calls so that they can't actually manage the hotel themselves. They do everything to save a dollar, but still expect employees to do the impossible without giving them any tools of success. They're rather keep hiring new people than train and retain current employees. Upper managers abuse unlimited time off but lecture mid managers and staff about overtime, but refuse to assist.

Advice to Management

Let your upper managers actually be managers and see their staff instead of being chained to a desk 24/7 just to talk to you. Also, you need to spend some money to make all the money we do, unless you want to keep losing customers and good employees.

Mar 27, 2017 – Communication and Branding Coordinator

We appreciate your feedback and would like to hear your thoughts on how we can continue to improve as an employer. Please do not hesitate to reach out to myvoice@sagehospitality.com with constructive... More

"On paper they look good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time

Pros

In comparison to the former management company before Sage took over, Sage is fine. They offer PTO (3 hours per pay period) Sick pay (3 days per year) discounted health, vision, and dental, 401K with company matching (3%). At my hotel, people aren't denied time off requests.

Cons

Management is always unavailable because Sage loves conference calls, forecasting, and meetings, and compliance audits. as a line level employee you don't get the support needed from management because they aren't available. They took hospitality and made it not fun anymore. Since coming to Sage nearly 3 years ago I've applied for 4 promotions, and haven't moved up or learned anything new, because managers are too busy to teach. So the opportunity to move up within your own hotel is difficult especially when no one is available to show or teach new skills. Sage Hospitality is located 2,000 miles away and doesn't understand the market or special events that fill the city loves overselling our hotel, even when there is no place to walk to, but as a line level front desk agent who has no incentive to sell out, 98% occupancy with no walks is better than 100% occupancy with 1 walk. Also it's a hotel, so the hours aren't ideal. everyone else leaves at 5, and you're stuck until 12. Since Sage took over in Charlotte (4 hotels) they've lost 5 General Managers in 3 years.

Advice to Management

limit conference calls, and meetings, and compliance audits, and make hospitality fun again. In comparison to our previous ownership group for a line level employee Sage is a better company on paper, but it's not enjoyable. Also teach employee new skills, allow them to grow. Create and incentive plan for then to want to sell out the hotel.

Aug 9, 2016 – Communication and Branding Coordinator

We would like to hear more about your Sage experience, please feel free to email myvoice@sagehospitality.com so we can discuss your review further. Thank you for your feedback.