Sage Hospitality Reviews | Glassdoor

Sage Hospitality President and CEO Walter L. Isenberg
Walter L. Isenberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Not a lot of upper management assistance, until the department is in shambles" (in 10 reviews)

• "VERY low pay, little recognition and appreciation" (in 9 reviews)

1. "Amazing Organization From Top To Bottom"

Current Employee - Regional Director of Sales and Marketing in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Regional Director of Sales and Marketing in Denver, CO

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Sage Hospitality cares about its associates, its community and its guests equally!

Cons

No real cons here. The company is growing and focusing on more independent and lifestyle hotels .

Sage Hospitality Response

May 29, 2018 – Co-Founder, President & CEO

Thanks for your review! We are thrilled you're enjoying your career experience with Sage!

2. "Former Sales Manager - Denver"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, opportunity for personal and professional development, investment in employees, great hotels!

Cons

Low salary, terrible bonus structure

Advice to Management

The leadership at Sage corporate is filled with some of the kindest, most talented people in the industry. Sage is a great place to start your career because they care about investing in their people’s personal and professional development. If you make a mistake, they treat it as a learning opportunity instead of making you feel like you screwed up. There is an amazing culture that rallies around the community and giving back. Walter Isenberg (CEO) truly makes it a place you are proud to work. Every company has values they say they live by but few rarely live by them. Walter creates a culture where they practice what they preach and always act with integrity and do the right thing.

Sage would attract a lot more talent if they were able to pay their sales teams better. Their bonus structure is incredibly low for property sellers which is probably because of how low the salaries are. I was only at Sage for 4 short years but just by leaving, my salary increased by 25K or about 28% if that tells you anything. Also, the recruiting team is not good at following through or follow up. They will pursue you then stand you up for an interview. They’ve developed a pretty poor reputation from people they’ve tried to recruit because there is zero follow up or respect for the candidates time.

"....As a Sage General Manager"

Former Employee - General Manager in Beachwood, OH
    Former Employee - General Manager in Beachwood, OH

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great corporate support.
    Strong leadership.
    Innovative ideas.
    Support, support, support

Cons

I no longer work for Sage. :(

Advice to Management

As a previous GM - from a property that was sold and no longer managed by Sage, I can't speak highly enough of my experience with the organization. The day after my hotel transferred ownership, the CEO of Sage, Walter Isenberg, left me a voice mail thanking me for my leadership during the sale - and I am sure he did the same for all 14 GM's who's properties transferred that day. From a man with so much on his plate, to take a moment to call a GM from Cleveland, Ohio, was priceless. FYI...I will be saving that message for a long time!

4. "Franchisee"

I worked at Sage Hospitality part-time

Pros

Franchisee for Colo Marriott int.

Cons

No idea what it means to be Marriott. A proud history and thriving culture.

Advice to Management

Develop a true management development, just because someone went to Business school, Culinary School etc. definitely don't qualify them as a true people person.
    "True Leaders don't create followers. They create more Leaders"

5. "Great People"

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time

Pros

Most people that work at Sage are super cool. You can count on most of them to be friendly, help you out and care. So many are unique and come from everyone but have giving hearts with a hunger to do more and be better.

Cons

Competition is fierce - update your vacation policy and help some leaders be more open to flex time if you want to keep up and keep those great people.

Advice to Management

Some managers need to update their approach to people and how to get work done. The 80's and 90's are over. Walter....what kind of leaders do you want steering the ship?

6. "Great place , poor management"

Current Employee - Guest Relations in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Guest Relations in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful location , laundry service for employees

Cons

Over worked under paid and under staffed

Advice to Management

Allow Afrikan Americans to progress beyond supervisors and add some Diversity to your executive team that is 100% white . Opportunities shouldnt depend on skin color .

7. "One of the better hospitality mgt comapnies"

Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Denver, CO

I have been working at Sage Hospitality part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture at Sage fits with me. I've worked for some other hospitality management companies and this is the first one where I feel like they truly care about their employees success, happiness, and salary/benefits. I feel like they care for their employees at the same level (or even more) than just "profit, profit, profit."

Cons

Sometimes I feel that at the individual hotel HR level isn't as strong as they should be. At my property, we've talked with HR about a few big issues that never get resolved. They're too busy doing ice cream socials, and handing out seeds for earth day. I don't think this is a Sage wide issue, I think this is an individual property issue.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees if there is a major issues. Take it seriously and fix it.

8. "Urban Farmer"

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benes. Benes. Benes. great benefits for cheap. Pay is great for college students.

Cons

At my location We had many issues with payment. They claimed to address these issues by firing the head of payroll but the issues persisted well into the new managers roll. Managers (at my location) would never honor the schedule, who has ever heard of a 9 am start and 9 pm end shift and calls it a volume shift? They are thankless and unappreciative, and they act like everything they do is so hard and time consuming that they cant be bothered to help in a rush. That is until the GM is on the floor then it is all hands on deck and "Oh that work can wait".

Advice to Management

Everyone knows what kind of business it was and that a restaurant can have wacky times and scheduling but your lack of effort to find more runners and understanding of the time put in by your employees was unbelievable. Everyone single one of you passed the buck along to some mysterious person that made the schedules so it was never anyone's fault.

9. "HR Coordinator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture, CEO, hotel discounts, flexibility, managers who care, perks, very open about promotion and advancement, no secrets for interviews and post new jobs weekly

Cons

Hotels are open 24/7 so always a different level of need for certain positions, turnover in line level

Advice to Management

Continue to build the Sage Values and events, they make a big difference!

Sage Hospitality Response

May 29, 2018 – Co-Founder, President & CEO

We appreciate your review! Thanks for being one of our valued associates.

10. "front desk agent"

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Denver, CO

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunities for internal growth. Lots of free food from events

Cons

VERY bad 401k match, 1.5%. Basically nothing. Also, 1/5 vesting system. Where you only get 1/5 vested every year, making their match even worse.

The pay is barely enough to get by in most positions.

Advice to Management

Pay $16+ an hour. Offer 4%+ 401k match with instant vesting. The most Ill make from an excellent annual review is $0.39 more. Thats an absolute joke. For a company that prides itself on being a community leader and being progressive, it pays very badly and acts like every other low-ball company.