Sage Hospitality Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 21, 2017

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Walter L. Isenberg

Pros
  • good benefits, fun team, active work environment (in 6 reviews)

• Great benefits, managers are personable and easy to communicate with (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Back to the low pay everyone seems to look out for number one instead of taking care of the people that do the grunt work so turn over rate is high (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management uses their unlimited paid time off policy liberally while mid management and line level employees work all the hours without direction (in 6 reviews)

1. "Bad experience"

Former Employee - Restaurant Supervisor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Restaurant Supervisor in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Benefits was good and really the only good thing

Cons

Everything was bad by far one of tge worst companies to work for...you try so hard to improve score just to be failed by management again...Staff runs Management

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better the Staff runs Management...high turn over rate and no structure

2. "The company as a whole is great, the downtown denver property at springhill suites not so much"

Former Employee - Line Cook in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Line Cook in Denver, CO

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits from the company

Cons

The management at Degree restaurant are unprofessional, lazy, almost never around. Promises of advancement but its all smoke and mirrors. Certain employees get to play by a different set of rules.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to get new management. I have been in management for 5 years and i have never seen a restaurant ran like this.

Jan 9, 2017 – Communication and Branding Coordinator

Thank you for your review. We will share this feedback with our leaders. Please feel free to reach out directly to discuss your thoughts further by emailing us - myvoice@sagehospitality.com

"Terrible management"

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They are located in Colorado so most communication is done through phone or email. Benefits are pretty good, but could be better.

Cons

Terrible at employee retention. Does not allow the managers to handle issues, it must be "approved". Which can take days or even weeks. No clear discipline procedures so the laziest employees get away with EVERYTHING. While the hardest workers get talked to if something minor was not accomplished.

Advice to Management

Give the GM the authority to run his hotel as he deems fit. Discipline the employees that are CONSISTENTLY not completing assignments and/or CONSISTENTLY tardy or calling off.

Jan 9, 2017 – Communication and Branding Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. We would like to learn more about your concerns, please email us directly at myvoice@sagehospitality.com.

"Associate"

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get paid for the work you do

Cons

There no consistency oh how things get done because it's a revolving door there

Advice to Management

Find out why so many people leave the company

Sep 13, 2016 – Communication and Branding Coordinator

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Currently we are experiencing 12% turnover year to date as a company. However, it sounds like your experience felt different. We would love to invite you to tell ... More

"On paper they look good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time

Pros

In comparison to the former management company before Sage took over, Sage is fine. They offer PTO (3 hours per pay period) Sick pay (3 days per year) discounted health, vision, and dental, 401K with company matching (3%). At my hotel, people aren't denied time off requests.

Cons

Management is always unavailable because Sage loves conference calls, forecasting, and meetings, and compliance audits. as a line level employee you don't get the support needed from management because they aren't available. They took hospitality and made it not fun anymore. Since coming to Sage nearly 3 years ago I've applied for 4 promotions, and haven't moved up or learned anything new, because managers are too busy to teach. So the opportunity to move up within your own hotel is difficult especially when no one is available to show or teach new skills. Sage Hospitality is located 2,000 miles away and doesn't understand the market or special events that fill the city loves overselling our hotel, even when there is no place to walk to, but as a line level front desk agent who has no incentive to sell out, 98% occupancy with no walks is better than 100% occupancy with 1 walk. Also it's a hotel, so the hours aren't ideal. everyone else leaves at 5, and you're stuck until 12. Since Sage took over in Charlotte (4 hotels) they've lost 5 General Managers in 3 years.

Advice to Management

limit conference calls, and meetings, and compliance audits, and make hospitality fun again. In comparison to our previous ownership group for a line level employee Sage is a better company on paper, but it's not enjoyable. Also teach employee new skills, allow them to grow. Create and incentive plan for then to want to sell out the hotel.

Aug 9, 2016 – Communication and Branding Coordinator

We would like to hear more about your Sage experience, please feel free to email myvoice@sagehospitality.com so we can discuss your review further. Thank you for your feedback.

"Craziest Company Ever"

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to advance if you put in the work.

Cons

Ridiculous expectations and too much pressure. No matter how well you do, it's never enough.

Advice to Management

Listen to you employees and give them a work-life balance.

May 4, 2016 – Communication and Branding Coordinator

We hope you mean CRAZY AWESOME! It's true, we do advance our associates throughout the ranks of our hotels and restaurants. Achieving personal and professional growth is one of our Sage Values! A ... More

"Accounting Clerk"

Current Employee - Accountant in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Accountant in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Sage Hospitality (More than 3 years)

Pros

Busy environment, growing organization in a growing town(Nashville). Good benefits. A nice situation if you like a fast pace.

Cons

Somewhat impersonal and too focused on numbers only. It's the hotel business, but there is a lot of turnover. Compensation not great.

"Associate"

Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Front Desk Associate in Denver, CO

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to move within the city. The benefits were pretty good and some great teammates

Cons

Challenges are management at hotel and corporate is horrible. I tried following protocol no luck and corporate hr was a major joke.

Advice to Management

Open door policy should be just that, its time for consistency.

"I hope as a company they aren't indicative of the property I worked for"

Former Employee - Front Office Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Front Office Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time

Pros

Widespread location opportunities
    Great once you ascend past a director position
    You will get in a good year or two depending on the position and meet some great hard working people you can network with once you all leave.

Cons

Complete lack of training other than systems at my property
    Complete lack of staff cultivation or protection of talent
    The most minor of staff gratification whether it be budgets, appreciation or programs.
    Complete protection of faulty upper management who are utilized as the decision makers of line up to mid level management
    Complete lack of oversight at our property with regards to core values, respect and staff treatment.
    Profits over people mentality.

Advice to Management

The Nines has the highest turnover rate in the city yet the general manager for the property received yet another promotion. Same with the Director of H.R. who now resides over multiple Sage properties. You need to start caring about your line, and mid level management. They matter too, not just your Directors on up. Why is it when you have your annual ratings the people with the lowest scores receive the promotions? Better oversight on the upper management you protect. The Nines is recognized by H.R. Directors and the industry as a whole in the city of Portland as being a horrible place to work. So many great people walk out your door and yet you spend how much on on-boarding? Let's get real here. I will never work for Sage again. It's just not worth it and I have worked in this industry for almost 16 years.

Oct 5, 2015 – Communication and Branding Coordinator

Hello and thank you for your feedback! We take these reviews to heart and pass them along to the people that can help to create change on property. It's nice to know that you were able to meet ... More

"Sales"

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time

Pros

Local Company, involved with the community a lot. Multiple hotels in Denver area, with room to grow.

Cons

Fast growing company, unable to hire experienced upper management (a lot of turn over).

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees