Sage Hospitality Reviews | Glassdoor

Sage Hospitality Reviews

Updated January 17, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Walter L. Isenberg

Pros
  • Benefits include a free public transportation (RTD) pass, on-site gym, planned community service opportunities and lots of fun people to work with (in 6 reviews)

• good benefits, fun team, active work environment (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Back to the low pay everyone seems to look out for number one instead of taking care of the people that do the grunt work so turn over rate is high (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management uses their unlimited paid time off policy liberally while mid management and line level employees work all the hours without direction (in 6 reviews)

"Property needs better management and diversity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Food for lunch and dinner during 30 minute break.
    Opportunity to transfer departments and location, if applicable,
    Opportunity for overtime and doubletime when needed.
    Vision and dental is free and included for full time benefits.
    Full time benefits kick in 90 days.

Cons

Medical insurance needs to be better and would be great if benefits and PTO would start after 90 days.
    Seniority schedule is only effective when department is NOT understaffed.
     Health insurance is 80/20
    During "slow season" after holidays, staff hours are reduced drastically. Only top two seniority gets 40 hours.

Advice to Management

Hire diverse and create a healthy environment. Some managers encountered that quit were only praising their "favorites" and didn't recognize hard working people. Make sure HR staff is inviting and not hostile. Renaissance Blackstone DOES not carry out Sage's core values and culture. Some upper management are hostile.

Mar 6, 2017 – Communication and Branding Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. Please reach out to myvoice@sagehospitality.com directly as we would like to better understand your concerns. Your employment with Sage is important to us and we want you ... More

2. "Management Engagement, Not So Much..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Sage Hospitality (More than a year)

Pros

The company offers a commuter bus pass.

Cons

Private company that struggles to hold its managers accountable. Managers have not checked in with direct reports for the year regarding yearly goals or professional growth. Management needs to lead, challenge and inspire their workers.

Advice to Management

Manage your direct reports = ensure they are being engaged, challenged and growing as a professional in a positive direction.

Dec 8, 2016 – Communication and Branding Coordinator

Thanks for your feedback. We would like to know more about your experience, please feel free to reach out to myvoice@sagehospitality.com to share additional details.

"A good job, with good employees, but extremely high turnover."

Current Employee - Night Auditor in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Night Auditor in Denver, CO

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great managers, co-workers and resources available for success at work.

Cons

Below living wage pay, high turnover with co-workers (because of low pay most likely).

Advice to Management

The management says they value employees, however the number one way to actually prove it is with compensation. High turnover rates don't look good for a company. You've built a good company culture, you're making the revenue, but it seems like you're taking advantage of your employees and making them seem very easily replaceable. The turnover resembles a fast-food restaurant and it's easy to tell by looking and analysing the revenue sheets that more money could be going to "valued employees." I talk a lot with my co-workers and managers and a lot of them say they are broke or living pay check to pay check.

Nov 23, 2016 – Communication and Branding Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. Sage continues to ensure that our pay is competitive within the field of hospitality. Please feel free to reach out directly to myvoice@sagehospitality.com as we would ... More

5. "Sage"

Pros

Good benefits. They do great things for the community.

Cons

Some of the managers are unethical. They are all over the board. They seem to act very arrogant at times.

Advice to Management

There are some really good managers that work there, and some really bad choices. Take some time to weed out the bad ones. Hold them accountable.

Nov 23, 2016 – Communication and Branding Coordinator

We appreciate your feedback and will share your advice with our leaders. Thank you!

6. "Low pay"

Pros

Always expanding, ability to be creative

Cons

Low pay, expected to take on far more than what you signed on for (including other people's jobs if they leave) at the same pay.

Oct 6, 2016 – Communication and Branding Coordinator

Thank you for your review of Sage! We strive to ensure our pay is competitive in the world of hospitality by looking at market data, and we will continue to challenge ourselves to keep up with the ... More

"Sales Coordinator"

Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in Westminster, CO

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There a perks to the job. Best part was the amazing team I worked with.

Cons

Low pay. The benefits and are okay but nothing spectacular.

Advice to Management

Find a way to pay more more. This is the highest contributor to the high turnover rate.

May 4, 2016 – Communication and Branding Coordinator

Thanks so much for your review, we will ensure your advice gets back to our management team!

"Good"

Current Employee - Banquet Chef in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Banquet Chef in Denver, CO

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company has good benefits and with many locations nation wide is great for relocating. Most people are very friendly and opportunity to move up is possible if one is motivated enough

Cons

Low pay and work place discourages co worker socialization aka team building. Back to the low pay everyone seems to look out for number one instead of taking care of the people that do the grunt work so turn over rate is high.

Advice to Management

Increase base pay to be more competitive for easier hiring and better applicants.

"Large, growing company"

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time

Pros

• Company cares about its employees -- provides decent benefits including public transportation
    • Room for a lot of growth if you are dedicated and work hard
    • Great perks, as is expected in the hotel industry

Cons

• Can be a little political as far as "who you know" and awards
    • Some properties are treated better than others
    • Individuals in management given preferential treatment and support staff looked down upon

"Questionable Management"

Pros

I work at the front desk so it is fun the different challenges that present themselves everyday. Each guest is a new opportunity to get to know a new person and learn about their experiences. If you work hard and are dedicated it is possible to move through the ranks at a pretty decent pace.

Cons

The pay is sub par for the hours that are required in hospitality. If you do not have friends or family that have 9-5 jobs it would not be bad. Management is a mixed bag. At a certain point in your career it feels like they put the carrot in front of your face and give you a lot more responsibility with no more pay or incentives.

Advice to Management

Do what you say you are going to do.

"Hotel Management, Disorganized"

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Only enjoyable part about working in a hotel with awful guests are the coworkers.

Cons

Lack of personal and professional growth working in hospitality unless your managing. Gives no opportunity for hourly employees to move up