Sage Hospitality Reviews | Glassdoor

Sage Hospitality Reviews

Updated October 18, 2017

Walter L. Isenberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Benefits include a free public transportation (RTD) pass, on-site gym, planned community service opportunities and lots of fun people to work with (in 6 reviews)

• good benefits, fun team, active work environment (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is complacent and too comfortable (in 8 reviews)

• Back to the low pay everyone seems to look out for number one instead of taking care of the people that do the grunt work so turn over rate is high (in 7 reviews)

1. "Great for some"

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company is clearly growing and creating many fantastic hospitality venues with many employee opportunities for employees in the operations areas. There are many great people who work here who are good to work for.

Cons

Leadership of the company is willing to sacrifice talent for profits; there is definitely a network and you are either in or out. A few years ago they moved away from their core values and dismantled the HR team so don't expect much help there. Pay was low for many compared to the rest of the world, though a few select folks were well compensated.

Advice to Management

If you want to keep growing and providing excellence, treat all people better and make your messages transparent prior to having a negative impact on others.

2. "Great company overall, but really depends on property-specific management"

Former Employee - Conference Services Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Conference Services Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I think the overall culture of Sage is a positive one. They at least talk a lot about development and leadership. Benefits are decent for the hospitality industry. They have some really fantastic properties in their portfolio and there are lots of opportunities.

Cons

It really depends on property-specific management. Having worked at two different Sage hotels, I had a great management at one, with lots of support. The other, however, I felt like management was only interested in promoting themselves within the greater corporate structure, even if it meant throwing their subordinates under the bus.

3. "Expectations don't match compensation"

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Benefits, Support Staff (corporate)
    -Work Enviorment
    -Culture

Cons

-Long Hours
    -Hourly staff not compensated accordingly

Advice to Management

Increase amount of support on property from hourly staff.

Oct 3, 2017 – Co-Founder, President and CEO

Thank you for your three years at Sage. I am glad to see that you have found the benefits and work environment to be positive and that you enjoy the culture we have created at Sage. That is key to... More

4. "Leaders need to lead not dictate"

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time

Pros

competitive benefits, majority of the people you work with are awesome, fast paced environment

Cons

a few of the senior leaders think they only know best, are judgmental and need to lead not dictate.

Advice to Management

we hear how sage want's their leaders to act, but you don't seem to do anything when they don't lead the way you say you want them too. frustrating.

Aug 14, 2017 – Co-Founder, President and CEO

Thank you for your hard work at Sage Hospitality. I am glad to see that you find it a competitive work environment and that our benefits are competitive as well.
    If you are finding senior leaders... More

5. "Good company to work for."

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits and perks 401k retirement plan, paid time off, holiday pay, paid sick time of and good tuition reimbursement.

Cons

A lot of tasks but not enough pay. Doing 4 jobs for 1 person pay. Only advancement for the one they want to give. Sometimes it feels like you are working in a construction site not hospitality!

Advice to Management

Help your employees advance in the company instead of holding them back.

Aug 14, 2017 – Co-Founder, President and CEO

Thank you for your review on Glassdoor. I am glad to see that you appreciate the benefits that Sage offers our associates. I would be interested to learn more about the job you are in that seems to... More

6. "No work life balance, but a great company."

Former Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company cares about its employees. This is shown by awarding certain incentives and doing certain events for employees.

Cons

No work life balance.
    The pay isn't justified for the amount of work you are expected to complete.
    Upper management is complacent and too comfortable. They come in each day to collect a check and offer minimum assistance.

Advice to Management

Take the employee's lives into consideration. Also, if another manager isn't doing their best, don't bash this manager in front of other associates - it sets a poor tone.

Jul 11, 2017 – Co-Founder, President and CEO

Thank you so much for your honest feedback and for your service to Sage in Austin for three years. I am glad that you enjoyed the incentive programs and the events that were put on for associates... More

7. "Good company to get started in hospitality"

Former Employee - Maintenance Engineer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Maintenance Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent work schedule, benefits, great co-workers, company culture.

Cons

General managers didn't seem to care much for their line-level employees, favoritism, hard work not rewarded, no training programs for skills development.

Advice to Management

Your employees are what keeps the ship sailing smoothly, especially the crews that work behind the scenes. Get to know your people. Invest in them so they can provide better service and want to stay with your company.

Jul 11, 2017 – Co-Founder, President and CEO

Thank you for your feedback on your Sage experience. I am glad that you noticed our company culture as being very important to us. We strive to ensure we have good benefits for our associates and... More

8. "OK as a temporary gig"

Former Employee - Host in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Host in Portland, OR

I worked at Sage Hospitality part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Raise structure, cool co-workers, you will definitely get your breaks as scheduled which is appreciated.Also,they offer free meals to their employees in the cafeteria. I worked in a restaurant and even with my employee discount I couldn't justify the prices for my meal every shift.

Cons

Sage Hospitality is a Bureaucracy. A lot of the customers are very difficult to work with and act very entitled. Sage embodies a customer is always right attitude. Also, they take out a TON of taxes

Advice to Management

none

Jun 26, 2017 – Co-Founder, President and CEO

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your employment on Glassdoor. I am glad you enjoyed your experience working in one of our restaurants and felt that our pay structure, benefits and... More

"Property needs better management and diversity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Food for lunch and dinner during 30 minute break.
    Opportunity to transfer departments and location, if applicable,
    Opportunity for overtime and doubletime when needed.
    Vision and dental is free and included for full time benefits.
    Full time benefits kick in 90 days.

Cons

Medical insurance needs to be better and would be great if benefits and PTO would start after 90 days.
    Seniority schedule is only effective when department is NOT understaffed.
     Health insurance is 80/20
    During "slow season" after holidays, staff hours are reduced drastically. Only top two seniority gets 40 hours.

Advice to Management

Hire diverse and create a healthy environment. Some managers encountered that quit were only praising their "favorites" and didn't recognize hard working people. Make sure HR staff is inviting and not hostile. Renaissance Blackstone DOES not carry out Sage's core values and culture. Some upper management are hostile.

Mar 6, 2017 – Communication and Branding Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. Please reach out to myvoice@sagehospitality.com directly as we would like to better understand your concerns. Your employment with Sage is important to us and we want you... More

10. "Management Engagement, Not So Much..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Sage Hospitality (More than a year)

Pros

The company offers a commuter bus pass.

Cons

Private company that struggles to hold its managers accountable. Managers have not checked in with direct reports for the year regarding yearly goals or professional growth. Management needs to lead, challenge and inspire their workers.

Advice to Management

Manage your direct reports = ensure they are being engaged, challenged and growing as a professional in a positive direction.

Dec 8, 2016 – Communication and Branding Coordinator

Thanks for your feedback. We would like to know more about your experience, please feel free to reach out to myvoice@sagehospitality.com to share additional details.