Sage Hospitality Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Sage Hospitality President and CEO Walter L. Isenberg
Walter L. Isenberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits; great access to upper management and great opportunities to advance if ever approached or available (in 8 reviews)

• Benefits include a free public transportation (RTD) pass, on-site gym, planned community service opportunities and lots of fun people to work with (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is complacent and too comfortable (in 9 reviews)

• Back to the low pay everyone seems to look out for number one instead of taking care of the people that do the grunt work so turn over rate is high (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"LOVE my job !"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have truly loved my time at Sage. They do their best to put their associates first and find development opportunities for them. My team is like a family to me and I feel very thankful to be part of Sage as it continues to grow.

Cons

As the company gets bigger, it's always going to be hard to keep a consistent message from the Home Office to the properties in the field but compared to other places I've worked, I think there's better communication and better understanding of what's needed. Sometimes, with larger organizations the corporate office can be disconnected from the real issues in the field but I think Sage is at a good size in that regard. Not too big but also not too small.

Advice to Management

Keep sight of all these wonderful initiatives and priorities as the company continues to grow!

Sage Hospitality Response

Sep 18, 2017 – Co-Founder, President and CEO

What an amazing tribute to the Sage values and organization you were able to provide. Thank you for the great feedback. I am so glad that your department has a good family feel and that you are... More

"Just save yourself the time and stress, look elsewhere."

Current Employee - Group Sales Manager in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Group Sales Manager in Omaha, NE

Pros

My co-workers were very fun people to work with.

Cons

The company is horrible to their employees. I am a manager and my boss never responds to me, communication within the company is horrible. I would not recommend working for this company.

Advice to Management

Pay better attention to your employees.

"They don't have a clue"

Former Employee - Engineer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Engineer in Denver, CO

Pros

Friendly people to work with

Cons

Low pay, poor management and dangerous engineering practices

Advice to Management

Pay your people the prevailing wage that your competition offers and fix your buildings

"A business just waiting to get closed down"

Former Employee - Sales in Danvers, MA
    Former Employee - Sales in Danvers, MA

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not much other then good employees but they get fired or quit fast

Cons

Poor pay, poor general manager, poor, poor, poor, bed bugs in entire hotel, broken elevators, broken staff

Advice to Management

the general manager needs to get a grip and stop encouraging the wrong people

"bad after taste"

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sage has properties that are up and coming and is in a growth spurt, may have opportunities for some.

Cons

there is no common Sage culture from one property to another. I have worked with great people and with horrible people. used to think Sage had a stong family culture and strong commitment to stated values, but it turned out to be one particular property. another Sage property had none of it: across the board top management showed proof of great dishonesty, hr not looking out for employees, quick to fire, fire for illegal reasons, badmouthing gm and hotel - overall, causing you to look over your shoulder...

Advice to Management

walter isenberg either does not care how his middle management feel/ lack of promotion/ poor development opportunities, or he does not know how poorly his gms/dos are doing in this aspect. almost impossible to go from wage to salaried position.

"Never work for them ever"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danvers, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danvers, MA

I have been working at Sage Hospitality part-time

Pros

Good co workers nothing more

Cons

Money n treatment .....no benifits no hours pay cut of 10% 5 yrs ago no advancement within cult like company

Advice to Management

None Walter DOES NOT CARE

"Don't drink the kool-aid."

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent Vacation Plan, Good Systems for Accounting

Cons

Corporate management gives vague instructions on expectations then blames property for lack of follow through. Definitely an Us (Sage) vs. Them (property) mentality. Impossible to fire bad employees due to Corporate fear of being sued which degrades the morale of the exceptional employees. Very little hands on by corporate management unless it comes to HR. Inability to hire qualified upper management for properties as they seem to base skill on "outgoing" personalities. Lots of lip service toward Core Values, but they do not adhere to them in practice.

Advice to Management

Hire qualified management based on experience and skill not personality. Reward good employees and stop rewarding bad employees.

"Lots of talk. No action."

Former Employee - Bartender in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Bartender in Denver, CO

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked with some wonderful people; naturally the worker bees. Good benefits though.

Cons

They take on a property & everything is about improving, working together, 'we care about you', etc. Then - POOF - nothing changes. Invisible upper management. Status quo maintained. You know, if you are let go from one of their properties, you can never work at a Sage property again, apparently anywhere, for the rest of your life. Would've been nice to be paid for accrued vacation hours when I was terminated.

Advice to Management

Listen to the regular workers, not just the dept. mgrs. Maybe actually do something instead of smiling a lot and sitting back. That's the way it looks anyway.

"Wage withheld because they started working me before they officially had me in the system that I had been hired."

Former Employee - Housekeeper in Gahanna, OH
    Former Employee - Housekeeper in Gahanna, OH

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There were no perks for this job. I thought there were at first, but only because they lied to me about the job.

Cons

They hired me without really even considering me, then they started working me the same day, before they had done a background check, and they hadn't even had me fill out all the information I needed to fill out, Technically I was not officially hired until 2 weeks after they "hired" me. It's been 5 days past payday, and I still don't have my check, they keep telling me it will be here the next day...

Advice to Management

You seriously need new management in this location!!! The Assistant Manager is VERY VERY unprofessional, and the General Manager is never around. I would strongly advise against working here. And several people have told me they can't keep people working there... It's not wonder they can't keep people if they're treating everyone the same way they have treated me.

"Stay Away"

Current Employee - Housekeeper/Front Desk in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Housekeeper/Front Desk in Denver, CO

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is not a single pro to this company.

Cons

Everything is not a strong enough word. No one is treated with any respect. Personal lives become impossible. I LITERALLY was told I cannot participate in selling contests anymore because I win too much and "ruin the fun of the contest"

Advice to Management

Lead by example rather than being so snotty.
    Don't lie to employees when they start working there.
    Put people in "the right seats on the bus" by getting to know them rather than a first impression in an interview and then never taking to them again. Management should be PRESENT