Sage Hospitality Reviews | Glassdoor

Sage Hospitality Reviews

Updated April 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Benefits include a free public transportation (RTD) pass, on-site gym, planned community service opportunities and lots of fun people to work with (in 6 reviews)

• good benefits, fun team, active work environment (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Back to the low pay everyone seems to look out for number one instead of taking care of the people that do the grunt work so turn over rate is high (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management uses their unlimited paid time off policy liberally while mid management and line level employees work all the hours without direction (in 7 reviews)

"Property needs better management and diversity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Food for lunch and dinner during 30 minute break.
    Opportunity to transfer departments and location, if applicable,
    Opportunity for overtime and doubletime when needed.
    Vision and dental is free and included for full time benefits.
    Full time benefits kick in 90 days.

Cons

Medical insurance needs to be better and would be great if benefits and PTO would start after 90 days.
    Seniority schedule is only effective when department is NOT understaffed.
     Health insurance is 80/20
    During "slow season" after holidays, staff hours are reduced drastically. Only top two seniority gets 40 hours.

Advice to Management

Hire diverse and create a healthy environment. Some managers encountered that quit were only praising their "favorites" and didn't recognize hard working people. Make sure HR staff is inviting and not hostile. Renaissance Blackstone DOES not carry out Sage's core values and culture. Some upper management are hostile.

Mar 6, 2017 – Communication and Branding Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. Please reach out to myvoice@sagehospitality.com directly as we would like to better understand your concerns. Your employment with Sage is important to us and we want you ... More

2. "The company as a whole is great, the downtown denver property at springhill suites not so much"

Former Employee - Line Cook in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Line Cook in Denver, CO

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits from the company

Cons

The management at Degree restaurant are unprofessional, lazy, almost never around. Promises of advancement but its all smoke and mirrors. Certain employees get to play by a different set of rules.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to get new management. I have been in management for 5 years and i have never seen a restaurant ran like this.

Jan 9, 2017 – Communication and Branding Coordinator

Thank you for your review. We will share this feedback with our leaders. Please feel free to reach out directly to discuss your thoughts further by emailing us - myvoice@sagehospitality.com

3. "Sage is a great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Values driven company that focuses on associates, guests and the communities in which we work and live. From a Home Office perspective, associates are offered work-life balance including work from home options, Dog Day Afternoon's (bring your dog to work on Friday's!), open work space environment to nourish collaboration and a cool downtown building to work in. Benefits include a free public transportation (RTD) pass, on-site gym, planned community service opportunities and lots of fun people to work with.

From a hotel perspective (I also worked at a Sage property), you will work hard but make some of the best friends and memories of your life. There were rough days, like with any job. The pay wasn't perfect. But I went to work every day with people I adored, a job I loved and a passion to serve our guests. My focus was always getting to the Home Office, and even though it took time, I finally made it. I have known from day one that Sage was the company I wanted to grow my career with.

Cons

You have to be committed to carving your own path and taking on your own development. There are people and resources to help you get there, but it's up to you to do the heavy lifting. At Sage, you can create the kind of career you want if you are dedicated and passionate about your path. It's not always perfect, I lived paycheck to paycheck well into my 30's, but wouldn't have it any other way.

Advice to Management

Be the change you want to see in the world. If you want associates to be passionate about their community, send senior leaders to the locations they support during a fundraiser or volunteer event. Make it a requirement that they know about the fundraising program, and that it's their priority to help their locations succeed in supporting their communities. If you asked senior leaders today about the program, there are definitely some that would not be able to explain it to you... it's all about the trickle down... walk the walk, people!

Nov 23, 2016 – Communication and Branding Coordinator

Thank you for your review!

5. "Management Engagement, Not So Much..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Sage Hospitality (More than a year)

Pros

The company offers a commuter bus pass.

Cons

Private company that struggles to hold its managers accountable. Managers have not checked in with direct reports for the year regarding yearly goals or professional growth. Management needs to lead, challenge and inspire their workers.

Advice to Management

Manage your direct reports = ensure they are being engaged, challenged and growing as a professional in a positive direction.

Dec 8, 2016 – Communication and Branding Coordinator

Thanks for your feedback. We would like to know more about your experience, please feel free to reach out to myvoice@sagehospitality.com to share additional details.

6. "Sage Hospitality Resources LLC"

Former Employee - IT Security Administrator in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - IT Security Administrator in Denver, CO

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent work, family life balance. Excellent people that are willing to assist.

Cons

None really, just remember that this is a Hotel management company so hours can be all over the map when it comes to support.

Nov 23, 2016 – Communication and Branding Coordinator

We are so happy to hear you're enjoying your career with Sage.

7. "Solid, collaborative, fun"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

Strong company with a solid vision and engaged employees. Everyone is committed to the values and doing their part to create amazing guest experiences. My favorite perk in the corporate office is "bring your dog to work" day EVERY Friday. The work environment is open and collaborative which for me is also fun.

Cons

The pace of work can be fast and furious. This is could be a con for someone that doesn't like that type of environment.

Nov 23, 2016 – Communication and Branding Coordinator

Thank you for your candid review!

"Play the game, go far"

Former Employee - Night Audit Supervisor in Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Night Audit Supervisor in Westminster, CO

I worked at Sage Hospitality (More than 3 years)

Pros

Have a lot of properties to get descent rates at.

Cons

They have no clue the talent they have, and if you don't play their games, you will go no where. There business moto is if you get 6 months out of an employee, it's a good thing. All employees are replaceable.

Advice to Management

Just because you have an employee that plays your games, doesn't mean they are good for the company.

Dec 8, 2016 – Communication and Branding Coordinator

We appreciate your feedback. Please take a moment to visit our Sage Careers Facebook page (@mysagecareer) and review our Faces of Sage campaign. Twice a week it highlights our talented associates ... More

"A good job, with good employees, but extremely high turnover."

Current Employee - Night Auditor in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Night Auditor in Denver, CO

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great managers, co-workers and resources available for success at work.

Cons

Below living wage pay, high turnover with co-workers (because of low pay most likely).

Advice to Management

The management says they value employees, however the number one way to actually prove it is with compensation. High turnover rates don't look good for a company. You've built a good company culture, you're making the revenue, but it seems like you're taking advantage of your employees and making them seem very easily replaceable. The turnover resembles a fast-food restaurant and it's easy to tell by looking and analysing the revenue sheets that more money could be going to "valued employees." I talk a lot with my co-workers and managers and a lot of them say they are broke or living pay check to pay check.

Nov 23, 2016 – Communication and Branding Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. Sage continues to ensure that our pay is competitive within the field of hospitality. Please feel free to reach out directly to myvoice@sagehospitality.com as we would ... More

10. "Great Place to Build a Career!"

Current Employee - Regional Director of Human Resources in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Regional Director of Human Resources in Austin, TX

I have been working at Sage Hospitality (More than 10 years)

Pros

The DoubleTree by Hilton Austin is a great place to begin building your future with Sage Hospitality. Sage is a values driven company that puts their money where they mouth is. Sage is committed to working with team members to help them achieve the personal and professional goals. They have provided me with opportunities to develop my skills and to advance with the company. Thank you Sage!

Cons

I have no comments for this field

Sep 19, 2016 – Communication and Branding Coordinator

Thank you for your review. We are delighted to watch associates like you grow their careers with Sage!

11. "Not So great!"

Former Employee - Housekeeper in Oceanside, CA
    Former Employee - Housekeeper in Oceanside, CA

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time

Pros

Great discount! and nice location

Cons

No employee outings and managers think they are always right and don't listen to staff.

Advice to Management

Employees need training and reward the employees once in a while. Please work on getting the employees motivated to look forward to go to work. Its not fun working with people that fear managers.

Oct 6, 2016 – Communication and Branding Coordinator

Thanks for your review! Your feedback is what can make us better as a company and we appreciate you taking the time to share your opinions. We will engage our operations team to take a closer look at ... More