Sage Reviews in Irvine, CA | Glassdoor

Sage CEO Stephen Kelly
Stephen Kelly

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • It's sad when upper management tells you if you don't like it find another job (in 50 reviews)

• Some cultural challenges in senior management (in 23 reviews)

"Mid level managers need people skills / treat others with dignity"

Current Employee - Senior Development in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Development in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some dedicated & caring people; good pay and reasonable benefits; some good products.

Cons

Managers not reviewed by their subordinates nor trained in proper people skills; some managers make accidental or on purpose disparaging remarks (calling a staff stu[pid ]without justification) and no one to turn to. Some race & gender favoritism. Witnessed persons who blame their mistakes on others. A few staff seem to revel in being nasty or backstabbing behavior.

Advice to Management

Train your managers in proper people skills. Put focus on just successes and hard work instead of just the occasional mistake especially when the successes FAR OUTWEIGH any mistakes. Do not allow any favoritism of any kind, and never ... I mean never call a person a derogatory name to their face or behind their back. If managers think something can be done better, then prove it ... share your thoughts and ideas but if all you do is criticise, you are the one that is wrong.

May 2, 2017 – Group Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for your review. Before I talk about how we are tackling your leadership points, it's crucial that you report any bullying, racism or any other forms of discrimination. Please refer to the... More

"Sales Ops"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Irvine, CA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Irvine, CA

I worked at Sage as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Had a great team to work with

Cons

Company was being shady the last year or so with information, sort of sprung on us they were laying half of the office off

"You are not alone."

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Sage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Paid on time.

Paid time off is excellent in states that prevent Sage from executing its use it or lose it policy. California is one of these states.

Cons

Working at Sage was a grinding misery. It wasn't always like this.

They force introverted people in R&D into an extroverted development environment called SCRUM complete with an anxiety inducing open plan office. This environment is wholly inappropriate and disruptive for computer programmers.

They instituted a forced ranking policy that mandates X percentage of employees be put into a performance improvement plan. Even if everyone does everything in the PIP, the mandate is to fire 50% of those in a PIP. This is supposed to occur every 6 months. It's like a gladiator competition and, in my opinion, is completely unethical.

Advice to Management

Bring in a qualified and independent industrial psychologist to evaluate the work environment and practices used throughout the organization. Heed their recommendations.

Advice to my former colleagues and others:

I am very saddened to see that others have experienced the same problems that I experienced while working at Sage.

I am very concerned for the health of my colleagues. I include both rank and file employees and management in my concern. I have seen some comments deriding middle management and, while I don’t question the validity of these comments, I feel the need to point out that the problems being experienced are occurring in multiple states and that this is an indication that the source of the problems exist somewhere in upper management. Sage doesn’t have a company full of rogue middle management. Middle management is following orders to try and preserve their jobs.

I was not in management.

Whether you are working at Sage or just reading this, if you are experiencing trouble sleeping, drink in order to sleep, have racing thoughts, fear, panic, uncontrolled worries or emotional outbursts then please don’t ignore it. Seek help from your primary care physician or go to an urgent care facility.

I did not seek help soon enough. I had been sleeping poorly for a very long time and was self-medicating with alcohol to control my anxiety. By not seeking help sooner I ended up suffering psychotic symptoms that took a toll on not just me, but everyone around me including my wife. I only sought help when a friend came out about their mental illness. I am forever grateful for their bravery. I have only recently started telling more people that I suffer from mental illness and in doing so already had another person come out to me.

Please don’t assume that your colleagues aren’t having the same problems you are having. In talking with others, I have found that few people realized I was having very serious problems.

One of the reasons I didn’t seek help was I feared being institutionalized due to the disturbing nature of my thoughts. I was not institutionalized. The protocol in California is to avoid involuntary institutionalization unless someone poses a danger to themselves or others. Even if you suffer from suicidal thoughts, in California, you won’t be involuntary institutionalized unless it is something that you are likely to do. If this still concerns you, then ask yourself this: How likely is it that someone will commit suicide if they are actively seeking help?

Also, the stigma around mental illness is simply silly. Most people would have a broken leg mended, yet most people don’t seek help when their suffering isn’t physical. This has to change.

If you are having problems and still choose not to seek help, then please at least make yourself a priority and take the time to get out and do something you enjoy. You deserve it. We all do.

As for me, I’m getting the best sleep I have in years and I probably have not felt this good physically since my 20’s. I regularly go to psychotherapy and am not on any medication. Psychotherapy works. I recommend it.

I am very happy that I will never be going back to Sage.

I wish everyone the best and hope I’ve helped someone with this review.

May 10, 2017 – Group Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for your feedback and I am saddened to read about your experience. Through the increasing awareness and advocacy from you and many others, the stigma you mention about mental illness will... More

"No management support; no appreciation for hard work; a lot of misery"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Sage full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay and good benefits

Cons

A lot of unpaid overtime. Management won't make the changes needed to help you work more efficiently so the overtime continues. No investment in process improvement.

Advice to Management

Value your employees; you have no idea the talent you are wasting.

"This is not the employer you're looking for"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Sage (More than 10 years)

Pros

In the early days after SoTA was sold to Sage it was still great fun.

Cons

Endless rounds of staff reduction, no value given to human capital, UK ownership clueless about NA market, never ending churn of executives.

Advice to Management

None.

May 10, 2017 – Group Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for your feedback. Sage operates in a tough market, the tech industry changes at the blink of an eye. We do recognise our transformation programme has not been great for all, but lots of... More

"Truthfully speaking"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company culture changes rapidly from “Great” to “Good” to “Wait a sec here” and now “what’s going on here?!” just within the past few years. Knowledgeable and dedicated people to work with, most of them have great common senses on day to day business/performance. Sage does provide all round benefit coverage at an average market price for all employees, although it covers all general areas but there are many better options that Sage could have selected for its employees.

Cons

Work and life balance is a challenge, with the struggles between the business, leadership and the goals they are trying to achieve after numerous shortfalls, it’s just unrealistic.

Advice to Management

Truly understand the business structure and flow before making any drastic changes

Apr 10, 2017 – Group Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for your review. It's great that our people are awesome - you're right, they are so knowledgeable. That's what makes Sage great, our people. Talking of knowledgeable and dedicated people... More

7. "Very good company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This has been my experience. YMMV

- Plenty of opportunity throughout the company. Since it is such a large company, there are many positions you can move to.
    - Most people here are very good to work with overall.
    - Compensation has been fair. For my position, I've always made the average or a bit above the industry standard (for this location). I've been here a long time, and my salary has steadily grown.
    - Constant change means plenty of opportunities to try something new each year.
    - Almost all my managers throughout the years have been great. They recognize talent and hard work, and reward accordingly.

Cons

- Constant change can be a bad thing if all you do is try new things without waiting to see if your changes made a difference. Sometimes there is change for the sake of change. New people come in all the time and want to try something drastically different.
    - Some people are so scared of losing their jobs, they hold on to their knowledge to add value to themselves.
    - Some departments are severely understaffed. This company like many others are used to producing more with less. This often means you work long hours to get things done. This is not OK in any company. Sage isn't the only one doing this. Many others since the downturn are working their people harder to produce the same or more as during the pre-economic downturn. Lately it is much better...

Advice to Management

If we are going to try new things, give them a chance to work before switching to a new thing. Also, please listen to the feedback from your employees. You can't fix everything but fix the things you can.

Mar 6, 2017 – Group Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for your review and congratulations - and thank you on your tenure at Sage - you've worked here for more than 10 years! This isn't unusual at Sage, but I thought it deserved our... More

"Trending Downward"

I worked at Sage full-time

Pros

The people in the office were what made coming in every day worth it. I had a good work/life balance as well. This will obviously depend on what team/department you end up with. I was fortunate to be grouped with a smart and passionate team during my time here. The benefits were pretty substantial at the start, however, it seems that each year something new is reduced to save costs.

Cons

Where do I even begin? As mentioned in many of the previous reviews, high instability exists especially at the top levels of management. The rotating chair of executives means that the strategic initiatives and overall direction will probably be subject to change indefinitely. This isn't a one-oft occurrence but a repeating cycle that happens like clockwork, seemingly every three to four years or so.

The company is trying to reinvent itself as a SaaS provider when really, they are merely a holding company, with outdated and overpriced products slowly losing more and more market share. "Organic growth" is a pipe dream and the company has problems attracting and retaining the talent needed to move forward. Employee morale and channel partner satisfaction is extremely low across the board. It seems this current batch of leaders are content in appearing shiny to the stockholders without caring about actual results. And this is just the tip of the iceberg, unfortunately.

Advice to Management

Talk is cheap. For an example: You can't say you "care" about the customers then hang them out to dry on increasing re-occurring "business care" packages when all they want is payroll. You might also want to ensure a plan is executed to fruition before bailing on it, guaranteeing a setback.

“If the person whose working for your company is not given the right tools, is not looked after, is not appreciated, they’re not going to do things with a smile, and therefore the customer will be treated in a way in which they don’t want to come back for more. So my philosophy has always been, if you can put your staff first, your customers second, and your shareholders third, effectively in the end the shareholders do well, the customers do better, and your staff are happy.” - Sir Richard Branson

I find it extremely ironic that Sir Richard Branson was invited as a premier guest speaker at Sage Summit 2016 but the company is dead set on putting everyone else before their own employees. Who am I kidding...this advice would better serve the next group of C-Levels to inevitably inherit this mess. Best of luck!

9. "Aged Rating from 2012"

Former Employee - Legal Department in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Legal Department in Irvine, CA

I worked at Sage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

At the time - great management mix

Cons

Too many changes to product marketing

10. "Stable but little growth"

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Specialist in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Specialist in Irvine, CA

I worked at Sage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* HR does a great job in keeping employees feeling like they are in a community
    * Great benefits package

Cons

* Little to no growth opportunities

Oct 17, 2016 – Group Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for your review and it's good to hear you and your colleagues felt part of the community. We are working hard to ensure our benefits and rewards work well for our people, so pleased to hear... More

Showing 75 of 1,022 reviews