Sage Reviews | Glassdoor

Stephen Kelly

1,155 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management seems disconnected from general colleagues (in 51 reviews)

• Complacency in the market - real lack of New Business awareness in the business despite the messages from Senior Management (in 28 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Sr, PAyroll Admin"

Current Employee - Payroll Administrator in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Payroll Administrator in Reston, VA

I have been working at Sage full-time

Pros

I have been working at Sage 3 months. I can say that it is a great company to work for! I'm in the payroll team. They all are very helpful. It is a great team environment which I was looking for. Thank you Sage!

Cons

There is nothing negative about at Sage that I can criticize. I heard good things about the company before I accept the job offer. I'm glad I decide to work at Sage.

Advice to Management

Thank you for great work!

Feb 7, 2017 – Group Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for your feedback about your experience of life here at Sage - and welcome! It's great to hear you are loving your role and you have a fabulous team and environment in Reston.

Thanks... More

"Terrible leadership and totally unprofessional who are clueless"

Current Employee - People Team in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - People Team in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Sage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work flexibility, able to work from home. Nobody is watching you so can often leave early.

Cons

Terrible management who don't know what they are doing. Managers are not trained properly to lead teams and lack the experience and talent to help drive Stephen Kelly's vision for the company. Nothing ever gets done.

Advice to Management

Long standing employees lack the passion to help improve the business and are getting by. Remove these excess baggage and put managers in training so they are confident in leading a team. They are clueless and unprofessional and it shows.

Dec 15, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for your feedback. We know how important work life balance is, so we offer it as much as possible so it’s great to read you benefit from this approach. It is critical not only for colleagues... More

"Sage is faking reviews again"

Pros

Every time the ratings go down Sage will post short and obvious fake reviews to keep the truth of how they treat employees from shareholders.

Cons

Employee morale is at an all time low. You can't be on one meeting without someone bringing up how ridiculous leadership is at Sage. Now four 4 star reviews just days after employees were cheated out of their bonuses. Cheated is accurate as shareholders, executives, and the board are not suffering a 3% bonus (if you are lucky) rather than the 20%-30% bonus in comp plans. Unless you are the CEO or CFO then bonus plan closer to 90% of base pay. Class war in full effect. Billions per year company paying CEO and CFO millions yet employees unable to even get their Christmas bonus!

Advice to Management

Stop trying to fake the results and make the changes needed. Your employees are reaching out to you here because it is not safe to talk to management. Even with the Safe call line... too much corruption for trust.

If you are looking for a position at Sage... expect bonus each year to be closer to 0%-3%. You will Never see a full bonus. Company has it rigged.

Dec 15, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for your feedback. At Sage we have a philosophy of ‘pay for performance’ and this year more than 90% of our bonus eligible colleagues across 23 countries will receive a payment to recognise... More

4. "Sage Review"

I have been working at Sage full-time

Pros

Great people. Great environment. Flexible work times.

Cons

Very corporate. Rapid changes. Ineffective communication.

5. "Sage"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Durban (South Africa)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Durban (South Africa)

I have been working at Sage full-time

Pros

Opportunity for carrier growth through mentorship, access to vast learning resources, good work ethics and fair treatment to everyone at least until now.

Cons

I don't see any down side of working for Sage.

Advice to Management

To take note of cultural difference when it comes to day to day engagement and dispute resolution.

6. "Impactfull business"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Durban (South Africa)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Durban (South Africa)

I have been working at Sage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Alot of potential carrier growth. Clearly defined carrier path.

Cons

Bureaucratic processes can slow down the feedback loop.

7. "Software tester"

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its an awesome environment and colleagues are like family. Managers are accommodating and understanding. Flex time

Cons

Right now not getting a full bonus or having a 13th cheque

8. "Great company, disconnected leaders"

Current Employee - Content Manager in Durban (South Africa)
    Current Employee - Content Manager in Durban (South Africa)

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People, middle-management, technology, opportunities, compensation, diversity and resources.

Cons

Upper management seems disconnected from general colleagues.

Advice to Management

Listen more to the people on the ground, and less to the people in the boardrooms.

"Stay Away From Payroll"

I worked at Sage full-time

Pros

Benefits are better than most

Cons

Our business unit wasn't part of the overall company strategy. The company as a whole is doing good things for SMB's but stay away from the Payroll business unit. Poor management, churn and burn mentality and lousy product.

"Right direction, challenging but not rewarding"

Former Employee - R&D
    Former Employee - R&D

I worked at Sage full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Sage started off by acquiring companies and let each business units continue to develop their products and their culture. They then implement One Sage which was relatively painless because in most cases it is just brand changes for the products but unify the Sage brand. Now they focus on the Cloud which is the right direction for the company as a whole.

Although getting into the Cloud/Saas is the right direction, not all product line are at the same pace towards it. It really is a give and take because I saw the ones that are not there yet, are the ones that are relatively stable with regards to the people. The product lines that are actually making progress are the ones also with high turn over rate.

The extended health coverage is quite good. In most cases it covers 100% on physio, Charo, etc. There is also RRSp employer matching as well.

Cons

There is enough said of the performance review here on Glassdoor. What's really sad was that I saw nice people turning defensive because of all the stress. What's more is the lack of rewards for the top 20%. I saw someone who truly deserves a promotion but left because he didn't get it.

I am not 100% sure if really most people don't get bonus. I was seating randomly with three colleagues one day and all of them sounded like they are getting something. (Or may be they haven't realized it yet). However, like many who already mentioned here, hitting the external financial target and then post a video online telling us we didn't meet the internal one is just low.

Overall, like those 24hr fast food places and banks that now open on Sundays, as consumers or shareholders we might like them, but we won't want to work there.

Showing 1,155 of 1,201 reviews