Sage Reviews | Glassdoor

Sage Reviews

Updated June 20, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • It's sad when upper management tells you if you don't like it find another job (in 52 reviews)

• North American senior management needs to appreciate hardworking employees (in 25 reviews)

"Software as a disservice"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrenceville, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lawrenceville, GA

I worked at Sage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many of the people you work with are good people. The business partners from the channel are also great to work with.

Cons

Never in my life have I worked for such an unprofessional company. I have been in situations innumerable times that made me question my morales and the integrity of this company.
    The entire "sales floor" is little more than a bunch of over paid bill collectors. They use fear and intimidation instead of service and value to renew customers. Oftentimes they also prey on customers ignorance to move people from over priced perpetual software onto over priced subscriptions that offer no value or improvements in the solution.
    Commission structures are subject to change at a moments notice and can be retroactively applied to recoup money sales reps rightfully earned. Quotas are made unobtainable for the aforementioned "bill collectors" resulting in "alternative" methods of revenue generation. Often of an unscrupulous nature.
    The channel program is a joke. The partners are treated like garbage. The channel managers are little more than glorified lead distributors who all seem to be on highly paid vacation. The attempted blend of indirect and direct sales is a complete disaster resulting in animosity on both sides of the business.
    VPs, directors and managers all concern themselves more with interpersonal relationships and favoritism than actual leadership. Everyone of them is cracking a whip instead leading the charge.

It's spiraling out of control and the writing is clearly on the wall.

Advice to Management

Clean house literally. Let go of every single leader in the entire North American divison who cannot tell you a 50 ft drop on the business or perform the process they are managing. Stop hiring tyrants and "yes men". Search for leaders who can truly lead and inovate ways to improve processes. Provide actual training to employees and I'm power them with knowledge. Stop pretending to be a direct sales company and focus on your quality of service and updates to your solutions instead of greater margins. And most importantly stop calling yourself a SAAS company... You're offering little more than an extended warranty.

Mar 27, 2017 – Group Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for spending time writing your review. Unethical behaviour is not tolerated at Sage as detailed in our Code of Conduct, all colleagues here have access to the free and confidential ... More

2. "Very good company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This has been my experience. YMMV

- Plenty of opportunity throughout the company. Since it is such a large company, there are many positions you can move to.
    - Most people here are very good to work with overall.
    - Compensation has been fair. For my position, I've always made the average or a bit above the industry standard (for this location). I've been here a long time, and my salary has steadily grown.
    - Constant change means plenty of opportunities to try something new each year.
    - Almost all my managers throughout the years have been great. They recognize talent and hard work, and reward accordingly.

Cons

- Constant change can be a bad thing if all you do is try new things without waiting to see if your changes made a difference. Sometimes there is change for the sake of change. New people come in all the time and want to try something drastically different.
    - Some people are so scared of losing their jobs, they hold on to their knowledge to add value to themselves.
    - Some departments are severely understaffed. This company like many others are used to producing more with less. This often means you work long hours to get things done. This is not OK in any company. Sage isn't the only one doing this. Many others since the downturn are working their people harder to produce the same or more as during the pre-economic downturn. Lately it is much better...

Advice to Management

If we are going to try new things, give them a chance to work before switching to a new thing. Also, please listen to the feedback from your employees. You can't fix everything but fix the things you can.

Mar 6, 2017 – Group Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for your review and congratulations - and thank you on your tenure at Sage - you've worked here for more than 10 years! This isn't unusual at Sage, but I thought it deserved our ... More

"STAY AWAY"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Laurel, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Laurel, NJ

I worked at Sage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salaries are decent as are benefits. Not worth the aggravation though....

Cons

Please do not believe the Sage responses. Read through these reviews and pay attention, the negative ones all say the same thing. The positive ones seem to be posted IMMEDIATELY after. I have never worked in a more hostile, toxic environment. The software is terrible, the sales team lies to the customers (due to the unrealistic demands placed on them) and the customers get mad as the software does nothing it is supposed to. Training is nonexistent. Coworkers are only out for themselves and new employees are left to panic over what they should be doing while no one helps them.

Advice to Management

Spend more time trying to fix the culture and less trying to undermine the factual reviews on here. During my time with your company, I HEARD higher-ups discussing how to combat the terrible reviews on Glassdoor. So yes, the glowing reviews here ARE indeed fake.

Mar 13, 2017 – Group Employer Brand Manager

Hello and thanks for your review. We (and me personally) never add or ask for fake reviews. In any company they'll always be diverse opinions. I won't lie, we are working hard to combat the ... More

"A company for the Shareholders"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Lawrenceville, GA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Lawrenceville, GA

I worked at Sage (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits- Dental, Vision, Medical, Gym reimbursement.
    Start with vacation time
    Overtime available if needed
    Pay is decent if you can hit goal.
    Work/Life balance is good

Cons

Company is becoming to vested in the shareholders rather than the employees. Doubling or even tripling goals from the previous year without making improvements to the product- and at the same time increasing the price of the product 2 to 4 times a year.
    Micro-managing is ridiculous because of the impossible-to-hit goals.
    Sage puts on a facade of being a huge family and "OneSage", but again, all of its changes are for the shareholders, not the employees.
    Too many changes happen in a year with compensation.

Advice to Management

Pick a compensation plan and don't change it when your employees start making money.
    Properly compensate mid-market sales- they are selling multi-thousand dollar (tens of thousands) software and you award them with hundred dollar bonuses. This is why your mid-market teams drastically change every few months. No one will sell you millions a month for a 2 grand check.
    Stop increasing prices and irritating off customers
    Don't act like we have a say in the company and we are a family then tell us to "quit if you don't like it".

Jan 24, 2017 – Group Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are glad to hear that you are enjoying the benefits and feel you have a good work-life balance. That is important no matter where you work. It’s ... More

"Too many bad decisions"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Sage full-time

Pros

There are really good people who work here who smart and dedicated, not many lazy ones.The company has some good employee programmes and the benefits are okay.They don't give you a hard time about taking time off.

Cons

The company is trying to get products modern and in cloud, but they are doing it with crazy goals and no resource. talent they need quits. Everyone/team is trying to make them look good and everyone else look bad, its always blame another team. Some groups of people make large decisions that they have no expertise that brings down the quality of the product and more deliverables. Their title gives them power and they don't use like they should. Its sad and the company can no more meet goals with their people making bad decisions because they can.

Advice to Management

Take advantage on the talent and resources you have left and stop letting decisions to people who don't know what they do especially decisions that hurt the customer.

Do not make volunteering the requirement and part of year goals that link to your pay and bonus. If you force people to volunteer than not volunteering anymore and it takes away the spirit. Encourage people to volunteer in other ways that you do now.

"Must be agile...don't think too much"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, you can work from home. They encourage volunteering giving you 5 days a year to volunteer anywhere. They aren't strict about PTO (outside of the phones and sales, not sure about them), but if you have to work from home or take a day if you're sick it's not one of those things where you can be written up. The newly designed work spaces in Midtown and Lawrenceville are chic, modern and trendy. So, its a nice environment to work.

Cons

Lots of change, not very transparent, the vision partially communicated. So, there are just random decisions made and you think "that makes no sense" and executive and global management will just move forward, therefore all that can be considered is they either want the business to fail or they know something they aren't communicating. I am going with the latter.

Advice to Management

Do better in communicating change, otherwise it can eat at employee morale.

Feb 7, 2017 – Group Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for your review of Sage. The Sage Foundation is awesome isn't it - not only is it great for us as colleagues, the charities we help benefit so much as well. Work life balance is really ... More

"Lay back company"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sage (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relax, no much work pressure. Nice time and management. Have stable product and table team members.

Cons

Not much innovation, many product on maintenance mode. Not much real online or mobile solutions.

Advice to Management

Take more risks, more big steps on shifting the online or mobile strategy.

Jan 25, 2017 – Group Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for telling us about your view about life at Sage. There's so much happening at Sage - we are really going places. Sage is the market and technology leader in cloud accounting and we are ... More

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Business Account Manager in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Business Account Manager in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, great people to work with.

Cons

Compensation structure always changing. just when you start making a little money everything gets changes. You may get 1 month with a good check but you can be guaranteed if you do, the commission plan will change the following month and it always means less money for you until you get the hang of it, In which case it will change again. It changes about every 2 or 3 months. Most of the Management have never been on the phones in the positions they manage . Most have never used the software and are unable to help you.

9. "Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Sage (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, positive leadership, company heading in right direction.

Cons

I cannot think of any negative aspects at Sage.

Jan 9, 2017 – Group Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for your review - we agree with you that the people at Sage are amazing and our future looks exciting. We love possibilities, not limits. Our people are key to us and we find inspiration ... More

"Sage is a Joke"

Current Employee - Finance/Accounting Team in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Finance/Accounting Team in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The ONLYreason I stay at this company is the people. I'm not talking about top management, I am referring to my team. Sage has many great people on the teams here. That is about all I can say.

Cons

Cons are plentiful! This entire "transformation" that was done in the finance and accounting are is a complete fiasco. We've got people doing the functions of 2 or more people and Sage does NOT care. Sage refers to work life balance. There is NONE. They do not look to the back office teams and see how much we are doing. Not one person I know is not deflated. Now we get to have a team "building" event next week that NO ONE is looking forward to. It just means that we have to give more of our time (in the evenings) to get our work done which means more time away from our family which means NO WORK LIFE BALANCE. I'm really saddened it has come to this and I'm not certain what can be done to turn things around in regards to employee morale. I would absolutely NOT recommend anyone to work here. Bonuses this year were a joke. Yes I'm thankful something was paid out, but did whomever come up with the calculation even look at a majority of the people and what they gave up for Sage in the last year. The bonus was a joke when I think about the hours of my life that I will never get back. I will not make that mistake again. This year, I worked harder than I have ever worked before at this company and gave it my ALL. I would have rather had NO bonus than the miniscule amount that I was given.

Advice to Management

Talk is cheap. Things are NOT better here. No, you can't pat yourselves on the back. You have not done a good job with this "transformation". People are dying over here, our health is declining from the volume and the stress. Oh, and taking a day off without working is UNHEARD of and essentially expected. Now that we have vacation caps, we now have to spend time managing our PTO and begin taking it even though we still have to work. This year, I am not doing that. I will take my time off and I WILL NOT work on my PTO. Do not schedule any more "team buidling" events for us please as that creates more work for us. DO something about the day to day - we need headcount and you won't give it to us. Do something that matters to us not to you and the fact you can pat your back because we have a team building event. Sage lives MATTER! Help us get out of the mess you have created or else more people , more good people will leave.

Showing 966 of 1,006 reviews