Sage Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sage CEO Stephen Kelly
Stephen Kelly

Pros
Cons
  • It's sad when upper management tells you if you don't like it find another job (in 50 reviews)

• North American senior management needs to appreciate hardworking employees (in 25 reviews)

1. "A great place to work, but going through huge changes"

Current Employee - Customer Services in Newcastle, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Services in Newcastle, England (UK)

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Prestige company in the north east.

Plenty of opportunities to develop your career

Good pay and bonuses

Always been hugely supportive with personal issues.

Cons

Too many people seem to believe they are owed a living from the company.

Beliefs like positivity and being for change, are seen as negatives by some long term employees "that's not how it used to be" is a stock phrase

Advice to Management

A little more honesty and pragmatism about the change in the market and the challenges we face may make some people put up or shut up.

Jun 6, 2017 – Group Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for your feedback. It's great to hear your positivity shine through! Sage's roots are firmly in the North-East of England as that's where we were founded over 30 years ago. The North Park ... More

"NA Number"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle, England (UK)

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Mostly the people, always the people
    the premises, everyone mistakes it for the silver worm on the quayside

Cons

Anything to do with the management structure, who operate on a make it up as you go along basis, making 250 experienced staff redundant and then filling the redundant roles with cheaper inexperienced staff
    Advancement opportunities are non-existent
    trying to impress people who aren't qualified to appreciate such efforts

Advice to Management

go and destroy a different company

Jun 1, 2017 – Group Employer Brand Manager

You are not reviewing Sage Software, based in North Park (no where near the quayside). You are reviewing Sage Gateshead which is not the same company. We have never been referred to as a "silver ... More

3. "The UK is a Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Manager in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Sage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

UKs largest software organisation in the FTSE 100
    Colleagues are encouraged to have a work balance
    5 days Volunteering/Giving back leave is assigned everyone and you are encouraged to take it
    new Management team are communicative and willing to listen and act on feedback
    Great benefits - including share save scheme, additional leave purchase
    Interest free loans for phone purchase, computer purchase
    They really care about people

Cons

Sage is changing for the better but it means that there will be organisation changes

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your reports and act on their input

May 19, 2017 – Group Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for your feedback. Can't agree more - Sage is a great place to work and we have some fantastic benefits and the new Save & SharePlan - where colleague can own part of Sage, is another ... More

4. "Receive the best for doing your best"

Current Employee - Sales Enablement in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Enablement in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Progression for those that work for it
    Great employee benefits i.e healthcare, discounts on shopping/travel/leisure
    Great building to work in with everything you need included i.e shops, gym etc
    Amazing work/life balance
    Able to purchase more holidays for use throughout the year
    Work closely with local charities on CSR days
    Some great products with a huge customer base

Cons

New products will often flop despite promises of being the next big thing (Usually due to pricing) meaning that focus shifts more often than in most places

Advice to Management

There are some absolute gems working at this company that are potentially left behind to praise those who do not play by the rules but bring in revenue. Please take a closer look at these people and utilize them in other parts of the business.

May 4, 2017 – Group Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for reviewing Sage. You've highlighted a few points about why Sage is great and we concur with what you say, it's great to hear you are loving life at Sage! The advice here is very ... More

5. "Great Opportunity"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Newcastle, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Newcastle, England (UK)

Pros

Vibrant, dynamic culture with a strong focus on leadership and working in the community. Lot's of opportunity to grow and progress if you are willing to work hard. Plenty of chance to learn new tech.

Cons

Tough internal competition and currently reorganising but this brings about opportunity as well as difficulties.

May 2, 2017 – Group Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for your review of Sage. Totally agree with you that it's vibrant and dynamic here at Sage and you most certainly get out of it what you put in. Your career will grow and develop, but you ... More

6. "Been here 3 weeks"

Current Employee - Apprentice in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Apprentice in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Sage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Welcomed like a part of the Sage family.
    Meetings were arranged for me to meet everyone from Line managers to the CEO.
    Beautiful, well laid out and, well designed offices in the Shard.

Cons

Having only been here a short amount of time I personally have yet to find any Cons, that is not to say however that there are none.

Advice to Management

Follow the examples of Stephen Kelly and Nick Goode who strive for diversity and equality - utterly aspirational.

May 2, 2017 – Group Employer Brand Manager

Hello new colleague! Thanks for your enthusiastic review of Sage and I welcome you to our awesome family at a very exciting time! Really pleased to hear your induction went well as this is a ... More

"Couldn't recommend it to my worst enemy!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sage has managed to employ some exceptional people. The support, training and enablement staff especially are highly knowledgeable and massively under-appreciated.

Cons

To be very specific, my experiences are related to Sales Division based in Manchester.

Where do I begin!
    If you are considering a role at Sage, do read all the reviews.
    Please note the recent influx of overly positive reviews (Sage actively encourage employees to post positive reviews on Glassdoor and actually have employed a full time individual to troll the negative reviews, she will be along shortly). Also note that negative reviews carry the same same themes e.g.lack of ethics, bullying, favouritism, leading with fear etc.

In my personal experience, I've seen some horrendous bullying take place.
    The business has a policy of hiring more people than required, then using the 3 month probation period as a trial before picking and choosing their favourites.
    If you stand up for yourself, you're a troublemaker. If you complain because the business is not fulfilling its contractual obligations, you're a troublemaker. If you do anything other than smile and nod, you are a troublemaker. If you try and take holiday, you're a troublemaker.
    If you get deemed to be a troublemaker and don't have exceptional results by the end of your probation, you will be fired.

If you get through your probation period, little actually changes. Although Sage do have policy in place for performance improvement and disciplinary, they completely ignore it, and the business likes to remind you that the axe is hanging above your head every day

Your comp plan will require you to hit 70% before you earn a bonus (its not really commission) and at that point you get paid about 1/3. The business reserves (and regularly uses) the right not to pay earned bonuses. Accelerators are in place but require you to hit at least three metrics two month in a row. 'Commission' plans (with targets) are issued monthly. Quite often the plan isn't communicated until past the middle of the month and more often than not the targets are revised at least once after that.
    On the subject of comp and if its relevant to you, mileage realistically pays out between 8 and 13p/mile, some way off HMRC's recommendation of 45p.

Accountants Division itself is in a terrible mess. I believe its seen something like 12 different leaders in the last 10 years. I've personally seen 3 different managers in the last 15 months (the first two are no longer with the business). Staff turnover is a major issue.

The biggest issues lie with middle management, who have far too much autonomy over their staff members for an organisation this size. As I alluded to above, management don't have to follow any process relating to HR, so appraisals, performance improvement etc. They can, and regularly do, under and overpay individuals based on favouritism, and regardless of performance.

Unfortunately the whole working culture just seems to be rotten, and its perpetuated by staff who have grown up in that system.
    Luckily for you though (if you choose to ignore my advice), Xero, Intuit, Iris, CCH, Digita and Brightpay are currently ripping through Sage's client base like a hot knife through butter, so the suffering won't last too much longer!

Advice to Management

Why is the latest marketing campaign talking about automation and AI? Sage don't have any (working) products that possess this functionality...You're only advertising for Xero!
    Aside from that, keep burying your head in the sand, it will all be over shortly.

May 2, 2017 – Group Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for the review. There's a couple of things that need putting straight here. You refer to me in your review, so I can say with total honesty and integrity I have never asked for positive ... More

"Been told to write positive reviews"

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Pros

I am sorry but I cannot write a positive review about a company where I have been told to post positive reviews on Glassdoor.

Cons

At the time of writing our average rating is 2.7. Have a loot at Xero (4.1) and Intuit (4.2) and you will realise just how badly we are doing.

And instead of trying to fix all the things that are wrong with this place what does Sage do? I have been told by my manager to post a positive review on Glassdoor. I think that says all you need to know about how much this place has lost its way.

There are good tech companies out there. This isn't one of them. Please don't make the mistake I made, And its not just me....the UK EVP only lasted 6 months before she realised what a mistake she made and left....feel free to google her for more information

Advice to Management

Stop glossing over the deep problems we have here and fix things. This place is a mess and our rating (which is terrible) accurately reflects how bad things are.

May 3, 2017 – Group Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for your feedback. I can categorically state I never, ever ask colleagues to write positive reviews. We have recently started to ask colleagues to write reviews which we've never done before ... More

"Read reviews carefully - not all can be trusted"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Pros

Nice building, some dedicated people, decent benefits

Cons

Awful CEO, 'positivity' above all else, sales-oriented targets even for non-sales roles, salary low for the role type, deliberately unachievable targets, laughable bonus structure, staff scared of speaking out in case they're labelled 'negative' or 'cynical'. I could list about twenty more.

Be careful when reading reviews. Those 'higher up' will say that staff views are listened to, that bullying isn't tolerated and that you'll never be penalised for raising a concern. It's possible that they actually believe this - because concerns never make it past first tier management. People raise concerns with their managers, but rather than listening and passing this on, they're dismissed with 'Don't be cynical', 'Don't be negative' or something similar. Bear in mind that 'positivity' is built into most people's objectives, so when the manager who is in charge of their annual review starts calling them negative for raising a valid concern, people will back down.

Advice to Management

Instead of brushing off the concerns raised on this site, LISTEN. Ask yourself why, if things are so rosy, would staff be so desperate to be listened to that they express their concerns on a site like this one. You claim that feedback is encouraged within the business - it isn't. If it was, people wouldn't feel the need to post here.

If there's anyone left there who has been there longer than ten years - remember Directors' Questions? Now there was a feedback method worth having. So...where is the equivalent now?

May 8, 2017 – Group Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for your review. Pleased to read you happy with the North Park campus in Newcastle, it's a great building, with cafes, gym, shops, cash point, lots of free parking and other facilities. The ... More

"Disconnected"

Current Employee - Marketing in Newcastle, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Marketing in Newcastle, England (UK)

I have been working at Sage full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people who are genuinely trying to do the right thing for the customer. Decent offices, competitive salaries and benefits. Mentoring program, CSR days, flexible working.

Cons

There is a fundamental disconnect between senior levels/global functions and the local business units tasked to transform the business. These units are crippled by lack of investment due to the fact that there is yet another period of change, so we can't back fill natural churn until "someone" decides what the larger change will be. As a result, I witness teams at breaking point, working extremely long hours 7 days a week to meet the challenges a company in a period of transformation faces. But here's the thing: lack of people investment whilst waiting for the next grand plan is exhausting the very people needed to implement this change.

Advice to Management

You've got dedicated people who have bought into the strategy and are doing their best to achieve it but they are overstretched and not set up to succeed. A little back fill would go an awful long way.

Mar 17, 2017 – Group Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for reviewing Sage. Yes, we have great, dedicated colleagues right across Sage and the Sage Foundation is great for colleagues and the charities who benefit. The new Mentoring Programme ... More

Showing 107 of 1,009 reviews