Sageworks Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Wayne Roberts

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Casual dress, dogs in the office, little worry about your 'presentation'" (in 15 reviews)

• "smart people --different types but all do their thing well" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Despite efforts to balance it out, work-life balance is still lower here than at other Triangle companies" (in 21 reviews)

• "A con of Sageworks is the long hours" (in 10 reviews)

1. "Fast-paced environment, steady challenges"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Sageworks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great facility, casual atmosphere but the focus is kept pretty squarely on solving problems and making progress. A lot of very smart and helpful people help keep the sometimes-challenging collaborations fun and rewarding.

There is a great culture here of working together to get things done, and leaving unhelpful distractions aside. Ongoing maturation of the product tooling ensures a non-stop flow of learning material and opportunities for developers to contribute; individual empowerment is significant.

Cons

Some organizational bumps along the way, but nothing out of the ordinary for a growth period. Admin stuff sometimes takes a few pushes, but I see that as a side effect of a fairly sizable wave of new personnel, and the adaptation of policies to fit.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing with current initiatives, the culture is great. Onboarding should remain an area to improve due to the fast pace.

2. "Challenging and rewarding"

I worked at Sageworks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation is definitely tied to your effort and success

Cons

Goals are constantly changing and not always reasonable

"Great Company"

I have been working at Sageworks full-time

Pros

Great culture, great sales environment, great people.

Cons

Benefits - good, not great.

4. "Unique Opportunities"

I have been working at Sageworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sageworks is a unique and challenging work environment. Being a part of the growth of the company over the past few years has been rewarding and inspiring. Hard work is recognized and rewarded. The new offices are a major upgrade and allow our teams to work more efficiently and have fun. The growth has brought some really cool people to the company and a new era for our products.

Cons

The company culture is often misunderstood.

Advice to Management

Continue to scale leadership and mentors as the company grows

5. "Lots of changes in the past couple years"

I have been working at Sageworks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of positive changes over the past couple years: 1) New office space. It was desperately needed. 2) A wave of good hires in the last 12 months or so. Allows for more specialization, which is a good thing. 3) Some very cool new products and tech initiatives

Cons

Despite efforts to balance it out, work-life balance is still lower here than at other Triangle companies. I don’t see this changing dramatically anytime soon

Advice to Management

Don’t let the shiny new space change the dna of the company

6. "Sageworks Review"

I have been working at Sageworks full-time

Pros

- Great people
    - Informal and casual environment - no dress code, dogs in office, can talk to execs just as peers
    - Intellectually challenging - can't think of a time I've been bored or doing remedial or busy work
    - customer focused, if there is a customer issue everyone really cares and it shows
    - Tied to the above item - products are changing frequently (3 week releases) and it keeps things interesting
    - Awesome new office!

Cons

- Growing so quickly that the everyone knows everyone feel is starting to go away
    - Frequent shift of priorities which can lead to wasted time
    - more hours than most of my peers
    - The different teams within SW are starting to become silo'd

Advice to Management

Keep the culture that got you where you are
    Improve onboarding of new employees
    Create a product roadmap for the next 3 years and share with everyone

"Sales"

Current Employee - Director of Enterprise Sales
    Current Employee - Director of Enterprise Sales

I have been working at Sageworks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Sageworks has the best software in it's space hands down. They only sell software that actually exists and has been tested unlike several of their competitors that sell a lot of solutions that are still on the drawing board. In addition to having the reputation for having the best software our customer service is also highly regarded. Very customer centric!

Cons

We are typically pricier than our competitors which can make this position difficult.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to those who talk to bankers on a daily basis about new solutions.

"Buyer beware"

I worked at Sageworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None to name. How sad is that?

Cons

Please read the negative reviews before taking a job here or buying their software. The positive reviews are fake. As one reviewer mentioned, employees are forced to write positive reviews to offset the negative ones when they are written. Watch how many positive reviews come in after the date of this review.
     Their rating would be extremely low if not for the fake reviews.

As for the culture, having dogs in the office and wearing casual clothing sounds great. However, you will need to pet these dogs because you will be dealing with panic attacks from all the stress. This company has been known to discriminate against employees and take measures to keep it quiet. Employee turnover should concern leadership at this company but it does not. They excuse it away by saying people can't cut it at Sageworks. That is simply not true. I have run into many amazing former employees that are successful and much happier at other companies. This place will make you have trust issues in the workplace for years beyond your tenure here.

Their product development practices are unorganized and do not involve customers nor subject matter experts on staff. Junior level employees determine the product strategy and execute on that strategy with little to no experience in the industry.

If you are considering a job here please reconsider. There are many other amazing companies out there that will provide you with better opportunities and a happier life.

Advice to Management

Hopefully one day soon this cult will be eliminated and you will read these reviews. I hope you learn from your mistakes...but you probably won't.

"Words of caution for those with previous work experience"

I worked at Sageworks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good, smart people, for the most part. Casual dress code.

Cons

No real organizational self-awareness or willingness make changes to improve within the Product area. Commonly heard "this is how we've always done it, so why change" when it came to processes and technologies used. At the time I was there, most people in Product hadn't worked anywhere else, so had zero perspective on best practices across the industry. Seem to use their "culture" as a crutch (if someone quits, it wasn't a culture fit, i.e. it's you, not me). Tech stack was old, and not something that would attract top talent. Architecture clearly hasn't changed much since the company first started. If you're a product person also passionate about technology, you will be sorely disappointed here. Release process was a complete nightmare - extremely antiquated. No investment in QA (dedicated qa engineers, automation, etc.). Compared to the few other high-quality software companies I've worked for, Sageworks is more a Sales organization that happens to have some development resources, versus truly being a technology company. The companies cash flow appeared to be problematic as you were paid 1x/month versus the typical bi-weekly paycheck.

Advice to Management

Make a decision - do we really want to be a top-notch technology company? It's great that you provide smart, inexperienced people the opportunity to sink or swim, but that also means the technology decisions generally being made are not the right ones. Work/life balance is important - work smarter, not harder. The idea of required "face time" in the office is a huge negative.

"Regional Development Manager"

Former Employee - Regional Business Development Manager
    Former Employee - Regional Business Development Manager

I worked at Sageworks full-time

Pros

Not many, but if I have to say a few: the product they sell is of good quality, office environment was laid back, i.e. no dress code (except last Friday of the month), Basketball goal inside sales department, Dogs allowed at work.

Cons

No HR Department, Terrible sales training, people come and go so much they don't invest anything in employees, difficult product to sell except a few times a year, boring cold-calling environment to the extreme, you feel bad being that annoying telemarketer that won't stop calling as many times as they ask you, I asked to meet with the CEO and he declined

Advice to Management

Train employees, develop better sales platform, become less cocky, get an HR department