Sageworks Reviews | Glassdoor

Sageworks Reviews

Updated September 14, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexibility, independence, strong entrepreneurial atmosphere in product development, dogs are fun, casual dress, office friendships seemed nice (in 15 reviews)

• smart people --different types but all do their thing well (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance could be hard to manage at times, could be high-stress around quarter changes and ends of the month (in 19 reviews)

• A con of Sageworks is the long hours (in 10 reviews)

1. "Love the people I work with"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Sageworks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very smart and very hard working people. Great products and focus on service to clients. Loyal clients. Profitable and stable.

Cons

Lots of processes are now being put in place as we have gotten bigger. I know it is necessary now that we are bigger but it makes us a bit slower than we used to be.

Advice to Management

Keep the core principles top of mind for everyone.

"Terrible Work Environment"

I worked at Sageworks full-time

Pros

None - Had to type 5 words to submit

Cons

Very immature company that acts like a start-up even though they've been around since 1998. Terrible work environment. No work/life balance. An employee will be very well liked and the minute they quit the response is, "They just didn't fit into our culture." Well frankly, no one with a soul fits into your culture. One of their core values is "unreasonableness." No joke.

Advice to Management

Let someone else run this company before you run it into the ground

"Advisory Services"

I worked at Sageworks full-time

Pros

Great product. Many legacy folks have a solid understand as to how the software can assist businesses financially.

Cons

Consistent turnover tendencies. Within a 12 month span, Advisory Services team reported to *3* different people = lack of leadership.

Advice to Management

Empowerment & self-guidance are great bullet points to promote the company philosophy. They are not a replacement for legitimate leadership/management, which is simply not there.

4. "Happy Employee"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Sageworks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have been with Sageworks for nearly 10 years in sales. My income has increased almost every year and last year I made over $500K. There is good money in sales if you put in the work. Products are very good. Service and support is excellent. Can work in the office or from home at my choice.

Cons

The sales role is one that requires travel.

Advice to Management

The new management brought in on the sales side has been very good.

5. "Great opportunity for those coming out of school"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Sageworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If someone is looking to hit the ground running and have a lot of responsibility right out of school, Sageworks is definitely the place to be. In your first week alone, you are given responsibility and are able to see how your work is directly impacting company growth. People gain true business experience within just a few months. Another pro is that you have the opportunity to work with world-class products that are driving the banking industry.

Cons

It can be long hours, but the right person that wants to gain experience doesn't mind the hours. It can be a tough transition at first, but the ownership makes the long hours worth it.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to your employees. They have great ideas and can truly contribute to the business. Those closest to the data really do have great insights.

"clever interviewing - they proactively address their bad reputation"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Sageworks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

compensation - they pay well, although I believe that the work/life balance suffers for the majority of employees

products - some of the products are good and have satisfied customers, especially banks

Cons

culture/work-life balance --- very high pressure culture throughout every department, at times toxic and abusive. this is not an exaggeration.

interviewing --- they addressed and neutralized all the bad press I had previously heard, even though I had never brought it up. They proactively said things like a) the bad culture was in the past and they had changed things recently, and b) most of the bad press is limited to the accounting sales department. Neither were accurate.

Despite red flags I accepted the offer to work there, influenced by the good compensation and strong potential for career growth. But I now regret making the decision to work there.

Advice to Management

Over the years now I have run into dozens of former Sageworks employees. Not a single one had a positive or even neutral review of the company. That should bother you, and not just from a business standpoint..

7. "Product"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Sageworks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Sageworks is a great company with very strong growth while maintaining a great start up and entrepreneurial spirit. They are very open to new ideas and they maintain a flat organizational structure so everyone is approachable. It is a company that you can do very well if your work hard.

Cons

you may experience some pressure on the sales side but like any great company, you get out of it what you put into it.

"Wonderful Opportunity for the Right Person"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Pros

I started off here as an intern here my sophomore year. I was initially only supposed to stay through the summer, but I enjoyed it so much that I ended up deciding to stay through fall semester.

This was such a wonderful first internship. I worked in a small team and reported directly to the Director of HR. I was constantly in and out of strategy meetings with the CEO and President of the company to discuss candidates. As an intern, it's quite a unique experience to be exposed to this level of management. It certainly helped develop and perfect my communication skills at a young age, which set me up for success in future positions.

After my internship I went on to work for BMW but eventually found myself back at Sageworks after graduating from undergrad. I kept in touch with their HR Director, who has been a wonderful ally throughout my professional journey. I love how laid back the office environment is. You can bring your dog to work and wear jeans. They don't waste time worrying about how you look or what you wear, but instead what you are actually achieving.

As long as you are self-motivated and stay on task with your goals, this company has a ton of opportunity. They are still small enough that if you do your job well, your efforts will certainly be noticed and rewarded. I would highly recommend it as an internship or full-time position.

Cons

This isn't the company for someone who wants to sit back and collect a paycheck for doing the bare minimum. You have to truly want to excel and be a self-starter. As long as you prove yourself and stay on task, this is a wonderful opportunity and a great career opportunity.

Advice to Management

Make sure to keep goals manageable so that you can set employees up for success

"Great people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Sageworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sageworks was brimming with talented individuals, in every department.

Cons

Unfortunately, the turnover was vey high. The talent that left the place could form all-star squads at any company.

Advice to Management

People are not tools.

"Sales, Marketing and Product Collaboration"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Sageworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great energy
    - Excellent commissions - uncapped
    - Opportunity to make a difference in a growing company
    - Opportunity for experienced sales people to work remotely
    - Unusual and helpful to have such strong marketing support for sales-
    - Company dedication to great customer service helps sales people and the company.

Cons

- Not an easy company to get into

Advice to Management

Keep adding to the training and glad to see the Accounting Division now has its own floor!