Saginaw Valley State University Reviews in University Center, MI | Glassdoor

University Center, MI

4.7
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Networking Jobs At SVSU are the best for students!"

Current Employee - Assistant Network Engineer in University Center, MI
    Current Employee - Assistant Network Engineer in University Center, MI

I have been working at Saginaw Valley State University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Flexible hours
    - Get to take responsibility (I loved that, I felt like I'm full time employee, and not a student)
    - I learned A LOT!

Cons

Sometimes, you might do other departments assignments, but it gives you more knowledge about IT experience overall. Networking Team is very well known to be All-In-One team for IT, you get to do Networking, Phones (VOIP), IT Customer Support, Desktop support, and many more.

2. "Adjunct Faculty"

Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in University Center, MI
    Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in University Center, MI

I worked at Saginaw Valley State University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice place to teach. I taught online classes and the full-time faculty were very supportive when a class I taught needed updating. They helped in get and keep me ontrack in its redesign. The students there make it enjoyable.

Cons

Adjunct pay and benefits could be improved but it is pretty much the same everywhere if you work as an adjunct. You work on a semester by semester basis and if student enrollment drops in your area full-time faculty may teach the course instead.

Advice to Management

Nothing to really to add here.

3. "Great benefits and flexible hours."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in University Center, MI

I have been working at Saginaw Valley State University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits are excellent and the option to change your work schedule is great. As an AP staff, you get 15 hours of vacation a month! Can't beat the 12% the university pays towards your retirement account.

Cons

Pay is a little low compared to the private sector, especially if your working in the IT department. Don't expect to make anywhere close to what you could get at a private company locally. But, I expect that is because the benefits are so good.

Advice to Management

Increase the salary of your employees, as this would keep retention rates higher.

4. "Great people, Great experience."

Former Employee - Student Graphic Designer in University Center, MI
    Former Employee - Student Graphic Designer in University Center, MI

I worked at Saginaw Valley State University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The SVSU network is tight-knit, but also large. Networking is a huge plus here. I started as a student graphic designer for the University Communications department, and remained there for the length of my college education. The knowledge and experience I gained from my superiors was priceless. My supervisor but me in contact with a company here in Saginaw, and I graduated from SVSU with a job.

Cons

None come to mind at the moment.

5. "Great Benefits!"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in University Center, MI
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in University Center, MI

I worked at Saginaw Valley State University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I always found them to be fair, with a good work environment. They offer great benefits and time off. Good work/life balance.

Cons

There were a lot of office politics. You always have to remember the pecking order.

6. "Working at Saginaw Valley has been a great way to get real-world experience while attending school."

Current Employee - Classroom Support in University Center, MI
    Current Employee - Classroom Support in University Center, MI

Pros

-Flexibility with Schedule
    - Great Experience

Cons

-none that I can think of

7. "The people and benefits are great."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in University Center, MI

I have been working at Saginaw Valley State University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I can't stress enough how great the people are. The work environment is more laid back than the private sector. The benefits are great. Time off is hardly ever denied and there is plenty of it. Tuition benefits, medical, dental, etc are awesome as well as work schedule flexibility. In ITS, there are opportunities for training every year.

Cons

One of the biggest down sides for working here is the lack of professional development, recognition, and incentive. I was told coming in there was no room for advancement and it was true. The salary could be better.

Advice to Management

Give your very talented professionals a chance to grow. There are a lot of them.

"Not as good as I would have hoped!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in University Center, MI

Pros

It is a beautiful campus and the people, for the most part, are good people. The campus has a lot of potential.

Cons

The potential for growth is great but the commitment is not there. There are obstacles to becoming the best and apathy in the administration is overwhelming the university. They talk of being great but are not committed to being the best.

Advice to Management

My experience is in athletics. SVSU speaks of being better than Grand Valley but SVSU doesn't even come close to being like Grand Valley. The lack of support in leadership positions is overwhelming. The lack of support financially is also overwhelming. Instead of fighting to beat opponents the fight is with budgeting, salaries, materials, administration and more.