Saia LTL Freight Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 27, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Rick O'Dell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The pay is good they have many benefits like dock to driver program which the top pay I heard is 25 (in 53 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits are good also (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Write ups when they don't have air bags straps or cardboard to do the job successfully I been targeted by upper management forced to quit after 2 years (in 15 reviews)

• Work long hours, no family time (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Line driver"

Current Employee - Line Haul Driver
    Current Employee - Line Haul Driver

I have been working at Saia LTL Freight full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company been here almost 30 years as any job you get what you put into it pay is good benefits are good if you have issues or questions I've never seen them being ignored like a lot of companies out there

Cons

Some of the terminals could use some upgrades

Feb 14, 2017 – Saia LTL Freight

Wow! 30 years is impressive and we appreciate all the hardwork and dedication you have contributed to make this company successful. Thank you for submitting your review of Saia. Over the past decade... More

2. "I have had absolutely no problems, have worked here since the beginning of 2017."

Current Employee - Biller Full Time in Nampa, ID
    Current Employee - Biller Full Time in Nampa, ID

I have been working at Saia LTL Freight full-time

Pros

The pay is amazing, and far exceeds basically every other entry level job in the area. Management/supervisors have been very helpful, I can't think of a time I didn't feel heard or didn't get helped. I feel valued as an employee! I feel I'm treated equally among my co workers, and definitely don't notice the "favoritism" some have talked about here. The over time and benefits are great. Yeah, some nights are long and not everyone can manage a schedule like that, but I don't mind the long nights at all. I truly love this job and don't plan on leaving. As long as you have the will to learn, ask questions, and do your best to improve you won't have any issues.

Cons

At the moment, I really can't think of anything!

3. "Tough Industry Tougher Corporation"

Former Employee - Ops Supervisor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Ops Supervisor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Saia LTL Freight full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fast-Paced, Challenging, Benefit/Pay Competitive

Cons

Much moor Work than Life in the balancing act; highly stressful, tough environment

Advice to Management

Provide tools, Create a positive environment, work on improving the culture and allow those that are over-worked time off when they burn out.

Sep 8, 2017 – Saia LTL Freight

Thank you for submitting your feedback. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the fast-paced challenging environment- but we hate to see that you didn't have a good work-life balance. If you wish to... More

"Honest work with good pay"

Former Employee - Dock Worker, Driver
    Former Employee - Dock Worker, Driver

I worked at Saia LTL Freight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work was generally interesting. Going to new places performing new and often very challenging maneuvers to hit docks throughout the city kept work interesting. Fast pace work environment to get deliveries off in appointment windows and freight pickups before closing times. Management treated me very well, although other drivers and warehouse workers didn't feel the same. I personally had great opportunities to move up. Started as a forklift driver then dock lead position, then went on to dock to driver Trainee and then PUD driver. I wouldn't be sure where to go from the driver position though. And I couldn't imagine myself doing that alone for the rest of my life. You really have to be prepared to do anything to make deliveries. Hand unloading freight when liftgates are always in short supply got you up and working hard! Raises are very consistent and generous.

Cons

Limited opportunity to use vacation, long hours, inconsistent routes and frequent driving in extremely tight areas make work stressful. Addition of interior facing cameras in trucks and micromanagement of even the safest drivers was the real downfall to me. Constantly being pulled aside and critiqued for small driving errors was really bothersome. Saw a lot of people lose jobs over videos. For me I just knew I would rather leave on my own terms. Warehouse was typical for the industry, freight was often loaded poorly, not secured, damaged, or in an order that wasn't as efficent to run. Last delivery is often on the tail, first is often in the nose. Managing appointment windows can be difficult with poor loading practices. Some of the warehouse equipment was really junky. A lot of it was honestly unsafe and I often wondered how in this day and age a company can get away with a fleet of forklifts that have malfunctioning brakes, no lights, no working horns, often broken seatbelts and no functioning parking brakes can continually stay out of OSHAs view.

Advice to Management

I saw a few supervisors in positions that they weren't competent to fill. And it was no secret. Upper management knew it, and workers knew it. They hold everyone back from performing at the highest potential. Their inability to preform the job became a joke amoung all employees and yet these individuals hold these upper positions for 5-10+ years. Despite plenty of motivated individuals being eager to move up, capable of doing better work, and emproving the entire facility and making everyones lives easier. Employees become jaded when they are unable to move up even though they demonstrate superior knowledge and work ethic. Holding these low performing supervisors in positions is costing SAIA it's best employee's.

5. "Customer Service"

I worked at Saia LTL Freight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, work schedules, some co workers make the day easier to get through.

Cons

Business integrity is poor, favoritism is strong, management is lacking people skills and common courtesy, stressful enviorment, very cliquey in a small office enviorment, time off is hard to get, no real growth opportunities.

"Going the wrong direction."

Former Employee - City Pick Up and Delivery Driver in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - City Pick Up and Delivery Driver in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Saia LTL Freight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay, equipment, plenty of work. With opening the east coast. This company could be on its way to great things. But...... the cameras in the truck could ruin it.

Cons

Only issue I have is the cameras. I truly understand the reasoning. I really do. But it's not practical. If they continue down this path. They will struggle to retain good drivers. They are letting go guys/gals that have been with the company for 20 plus years. They are dead set on absolutely no phones. Not even Bluetooth at all. If caught twice you are let go. While I strongly agree with the handling the cell phone policies. To say u can even answer a phone call via Bluetooth. ( which by federal law is legal). I think is going too far. If you spend 12 hours in a vehicle and your family needs to get in touch with you. You must pull over. While being here for the three months. The terminal I am at. They have let go of 10+ drivers for this infraction. My opinion is, if this trend continues. The company will be force to hire the bottom of the barrel drivers. And they will have more of a issue than they expected. Safety department has a straggle hold on this company. Truly wish this wasn't the issue. I would strongly consider staying. But, not willing to take the risk. Next week will be my last.

Advice to Management

Please re-evaluate the cell phone policy. At least let the Bluetooth to be used. Heck even have waivers signed this if a incident happens while being on Bluetooth. Then driver is subjected to disciplinary action.

7. "Local Driver"

I have been working at Saia LTL Freight part-time

Pros

Great Pay, as well as benefits

Cons

no downside, overall a good company

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

Jul 25, 2017 – Saia LTL Freight

Thank you for your positive review! We love hearing positive feedback.

"Driver linehaul"

Current Employee - Line Haul Driver in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Line Haul Driver in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Saia LTL Freight full-time

Pros

The benefits only there's nothing else. I want to say something good, but there's nothing the money is just OK. It's not worth it once you start noticing things that's effecting your life, but I can say they put you in a hotel

Cons

The no cell phone policy even with a Bluetooth device, you're Over the road driver one week at a time the only way you're gone to get miles. Please research the company ask question! If it sounds to good to be true it is. It used to be a good company, it's a struggle to come to this place FedEx, UPS are better company's that actually care for there driver

Advice to Management

Tell he or she the whole truth, there's a no cell (phone policy) and if you're a system drive (extra broad) you will be gone one week at a time away from from family with no communication even if you have a Bluetooth device. That's why they're offering sign on bonus it's hard for them to find driver for that reason and others, just keep your eye open and listen. Advice to the people sitting down not driving, Hr and safety department make people wanna drive for you, want to retire not a quick fix 100% facts just ask other driver

9. "Pretty good company"

Current Employee - Dock Worker in Burr Ridge, IL
    Current Employee - Dock Worker in Burr Ridge, IL

Pros

Good pay awesome benefits

Cons

Lazy workers get away with the same mistakes daily

Advice to Management

Management is very difficult to get a hold of when problems come up

10. "the truth from a drivers eye."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I have been working at Saia LTL Freight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been employed by this company for a littlemore than 2 years.The company is all I have come to expect of the company, plenty of work, benefits, pay and has help me to buy my first brand new car, and now a house.

Cons

There do seem to be favoritism with certain drivers to management when it comes to days off being granted, vacation requests and policy enforcement .

Advice to Management

Although much is expected from the uppers for you to do more,enforcement of policy on employees, personality should mot come before merit or company protocol.

Jul 3, 2017 – Saia LTL Freight

Thank you so much for your feedback! We value our drivers feedback because you all are the face of our company. Your comments will be passed to upper management for review.