Saia LTL Freight Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Rick O'Dell

Pros
  • The pay is good they have many benefits like dock to driver program which the top pay I heard is 25 (in 55 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits are good also (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Write ups when they don't have air bags straps or cardboard to do the job successfully I been targeted by upper management forced to quit after 2 years (in 15 reviews)

• Work life balance and get crazy with long hours (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Line driver"

Current Employee - Line Haul Driver
    Current Employee - Line Haul Driver

I have been working at Saia LTL Freight full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company been here almost 30 years as any job you get what you put into it pay is good benefits are good if you have issues or questions I've never seen them being ignored like a lot of companies out there

Cons

Some of the terminals could use some upgrades

Feb 14, 2017 – Saia LTL Freight

Wow! 30 years is impressive and we appreciate all the hardwork and dedication you have contributed to make this company successful. Thank you for submitting your review of Saia. Over the past decade ... More

2. "the truth from a drivers eye."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I have been working at Saia LTL Freight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been employed by this company for a littlemore than 2 years.The company is all I have come to expect of the company, plenty of work, benefits, pay and has help me to buy my first brand new car, and now a house.

Cons

There do seem to be favoritism with certain drivers to management when it comes to days off being granted, vacation requests and policy enforcement .

Advice to Management

Although much is expected from the uppers for you to do more,enforcement of policy on employees, personality should mot come before merit or company protocol.

3. "Billing is Unstable Employment"

Current Employee - Billing Specialist in Johns Creek, GA
    Current Employee - Billing Specialist in Johns Creek, GA

I have been working at Saia LTL Freight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Offers paid time off, weekends off, awesome break room vending selections

Cons

This job is the most unstable, slave labored job I've ever had. They cut hours while making employees work beyond the max of their abilities to work. There is hardly any time for breaks in order to meet management's demanding hourly quota...while under the threat of termination. Billing Department morale has been low for years and the turnover rate is high. Although pay is decent, it doesn't balance out when it comes to employee appreciation and job security. I would never recommend anyone to work for this department...they would be better off working in customer service as many billers have decided to take that route. There is no room for advancement either in this department and whether you've been there 3 years or 15, everyone gets paid the same salary which increases low morale.

Advice to Management

There's no point. Our concerns are never taken into consideration and it's always about the money.

"Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Saia LTL Freight full-time

Pros

Great company to work for, excellent and affordable benefits (free insurance after 10 years). Good local management that seems willing to listen and truly wants to make the terminal successful

Cons

The vacation policy is less than competitive, it takes too long to start accruing decent vacation. More formal and continuous management training is needed

Advice to Management

Corporate office management needs to spend time in the terminals to understand how they work and the challenges they face.

Jun 6, 2017 – Saia LTL Freight

Thank you for submitting your review. Your feedback is valuable and necessary in helping us to ensure all employees have a positive work environment. We love hearing our employees are pleased with ... More

5. "Part time dock worker"

Former Employee - Part Time Dock Worker/Yard Hostler in Fontana, CA
    Former Employee - Part Time Dock Worker/Yard Hostler in Fontana, CA

I worked at Saia LTL Freight part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive compensation for the industry.
    Competitive part time benefits including vacation and sick time.

Cons

Equipment is not maintained properly.
    Working hours and and amount are based on personal relationships and not merit.
    Part time employees are not respected.

Advice to Management

Hire management with experience rather than run experiments with employees and continue to have high turnover rates. Stop rotating the same upper management that was disposed by other companies and attempt to hire new qualified management. Keep personal relationships out of personnel decisions.

"Just started working here. So far so good. Decent equipment, great co workers, supervisor is a great guy."

Current Employee - Saia Freight in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Saia Freight in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Saia LTL Freight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the best driving jobs in the industry to me. Beats driving over the road doing a bunch of free trucking. Paid hourly best in industry, paid overtime, other positions are available, home every night, offered extra work on weekends. This is a physical job. Don't come here if you don't like to work.

Cons

None at the moment. This is my first week at work. Will update!

Jun 6, 2017 – Saia LTL Freight

It's great to hear that you had a great first week on the job! We're glad to hear you are loving! Please keep us updated- we value your feedback!

7. "Good pay, benefits, nothing else"

Former Employee - Driver in Roseville, MN
    Former Employee - Driver in Roseville, MN

I worked at Saia LTL Freight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Check comes every week.

Cons

Absolutely no respect from the company. Management will chew you up and use you as much as they desire. No work/ home life balance for a Monday to Friday job. Local management out of the Minneapolis area is terrible. They love to pretend everything is okay while running things like clowns.

Advice to Management

Respect your drivers and have local management get it together.

"It's not the company it's the company we keep"

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in De Pere, WI
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in De Pere, WI

I have been working at Saia LTL Freight full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay, ok insurance, other terminals are great, , ,

Cons

They own you Mon-Fri, treated like garbage, 14 hour days, 1 day a week expected to use 16 hr rule, family must be 2nd to company, absolutely serious no joking unless you are of the selected few, very click, constantly high school games

"Operations Supervisor. Worst job experience ever."

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Saia LTL Freight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hard working co workers who were more helpful in training than management. Other than that nothing else was a Pro.

Cons

No training. Expected to know computer system in a couple of days. Expected to know routes and addresses in a couple of days. Not much help in training to understand these job requirements. Will work 12-13 hours everyday possibly more. They say you get two 15 min breaks and a 30 min lunch. But in reality you get to take a 15min break if you are lucky. Management was verbally abusive on a daily basis. Totally unprofessional work environment.

Advice to Management

If you are going to ask for college graduates to fill a supervisor position communication and training systems need to change. Need to have better checks on upper management and how they treat, communicate, and train employees. Job that was described in the interview process was not the job taken. Job requires a degree to fill the position. If you are a college graduate be VERY cautious of this job. Was very excited to work for Saia in beginning very disappointed in how it ended.

"Wife's point of view"

Current Employee - Driver in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Driver in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Saia LTL Freight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Money is good. Benefits aren't bad.

Cons

Family means absolutely nothing to this company. Chattanooga is in a dangerous area. Drivers don't know until last minute what time they are going into work or what time they will get to come home.

Advice to Management

Teach lower management to read a map. Drivers are asked to drive miles out of their way to pick up when another driver is in the area with pallet space. Huge waste of resources.