Sailthru Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Neil Lustig

Pros
  • Great work/life balance and fun/inspiring startup culture (in 11 reviews)

• People we sell to - I enjoy speaking with smart people that are looking to make their business more successful (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Growing pains (things can feel disorganized) (in 10 reviews)

• If you don't like growth and to be independent and responsible, it's probably not a good fit (in 3 reviews)

"Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Sailthru (More than a year)

Pros

There's a fantastic work life balance. Positive and supportive culture in which management genuinely wants employees' opinions. Not a cut throat environment.

Cons

Not the most interesting technology stack. The product can be slow moving. Constant customer churn creates a fearful environment

"Getting somewhat better, but is it too little too late?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Sailthru full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great people.
    - You will learn new things.
    - Pretty good benefits.
    - The recently hired engineering managers helped to make things run more smoothly at Sailthru than before they came onboard.

Cons

High pressure, High stakes, High stress agile process. This leads to engineer burnout. Many engineers either quit or stop caring as they are demoralized but still need to work for a living.

Engineers regularly take days off just so they can destress from all of the pressures from management to release new features faster. Releasing product before it is ready often leads to software being released that is not fully tested before release. Later on clients and client facing people find embarrassing bugs in the product.

In recent times, management has strategically decided Sailthru software which has a direct impact on client's financial performance is not worthy of QA resources and effort.

Sailthru software is positioned to negative impact on client's business because its products sit on top of a shaky and unstable foundation that no one in engineering management has found a way to truly fix instead of the usual hacky workarounds.

The product and engineering leadership prioritize new features over making Sailthru's current products and the foundation upon which they sit stable for our current clients. As a result, client churn remains high despite improving NPS scores.

Advice to Management

Adding too much pressure to engineers around an overly rigid agile process means you are not getting the most out of your people. Sometimes you need the time and space to do things correctly or at the very least get the foundation solid.

"Startup growing pains"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Sailthru (More than a year)

Pros

The company is pretty large for a "startup", so it seems fairly stable for something still in the red.
    With few exceptions, fellow employees are friendly and easy to work with.
    Work hours are very flexible and the NY office is convivial, especially on the odd thursday. The "People Team" does an excellent job here.
    There is an opportunity to work with and learn a few specific technologies there.
    Executive leadership seems solid with a decent and relatable vision of where they'd like to go.
    They get rid of under performing engineers.

Cons

Fragmented organization of technical teams.
    Lack of experience in some managers on the technical side.
    Lack of experience in developers. Few, if any, have come from larger (successful) software firms that are dominant in their space.
    Fragmentation in teams means that it is hard to introduce new (or even established) technologies without pitching it to everyone. Lack of experience means that getting buy-in for anything that isn't new and shiny (read: buzzword ridden) is almost impossible.
    They can't retain the best engineers.

5. "Great company to work for - but not long-term friendly"

Former Employee - Talent Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Talent Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Sailthru full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great employees with passion and enthusiasm. Excellent benefits and unlimited vacation time.

Cons

They were going through a downsizing period so a lot of jobs were eliminated. Not consistent.

Advice to Management

No advice necessary! I'm sure the problem has sorted itself out. Overall excellent company.

6. "Caring Company That's Realigning Focus"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Sailthru full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing people to work for and with. Flexible working environment-working from home is commonplace, unlimited PTO, and even an "unsick" day! Fantastic benefits package--stock options, fully paid for health premium, cheap dental insurance, life and disability, generous parental leave, 401k (Unmatched at the moment), commuting benefits, free food and snacks.

Sailthru really cares about their employees. I've worked at a few start ups of varying sizes (from under 30 people to over 700) and can honestly say no other company has been as invested in my happiness and success as Sailthru has. There is great opportunity for growth however YOU are in charge of your own success. No one will write out your path for you, your job is what you make of it. That's not to say that Sailthru has no direction. The executive team has invested to committing to strategic measurable goals for 2017 that will help some of the uncertainties that others have brought up in past reviews. I find that much of the negative feedback comes from people who think the grass in greener, I've been there. It's not! :)

Cons

Admittedly cross-departmental communications can improve, I think the organization is working towards this but it's going to be a slow process. Sales could be more accountable for the pipeline they are bringing in, they tend to complain instead of taking ownership of their faults. The ones who are accountable are the ones who take responsibility for their own success.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work with the strategic focus for 2017. We're a tight knit group that will continually need to be heard and listened to!

"Raising our Game"

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Sailthru full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Sailthru is continuing raise their game, and part of that is letting go of of under performers - some of the comments below are clearly from those people - the tone could not be more clear
    - Not only is Sailthru expecting more from employees but they're not putting up with employees who have a negative or toxic attitude. It's making a big difference in terms of morale.
    - Focus is much more crisp than it's ever been. The CEO constantly talks about our corporate goals and the operational focus is paying off. NPS is rising quickly and the business is definitely being managed with more discipline.

Cons

- The office is packed!
    - Sometimes we run out of gummy bears.

"Sailthru Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Sailthru (More than a year)

Pros

Great group of people at Sailthru. Fun office environment. Good snack food and decent beer in the fridge.

Cons

While attempts have been made to solidify a common vision for the company, it is often difficult to achieve a broader goal while a long list of more minor blockers continue to persist. Too many changes at the executive level and a lack of ownership on the major blockers make overall progress difficult.

"BEST TEAM EVER - CONTENT MARKETING"

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

Pros

Great office space, positive environment, some of the smartest people in the industry, really supportive I mean really supportive, light-hearted and fun, snacks snacks snacks snacks, they have rooms named after different neighborhoods in the city, everybody takes their job seriously, they are extremely innovative, they are always interested in learning of the movers and shakers in the industry. I just love them lol

Cons

Technology is not for me, so this is a personal con. If you are interested in tech start-ups then this place is perfect.

"SailWho - losing customers every week and trending."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

lots of great people I worked with on the front lines in the csm, enablement and sales roles but the executives wouldn't know how good they really are.

Cons

top down decisions made to often by the leadership team over there. I came here and couldn't believe how refreshing it was to know that the leaders wanted to work with people across all levels of this company. Their middle management wasn't much better either.

Advice to Management

I tried when I was there, they don't really care.

"Come to Sailthru and Make Things Happen"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

The people I've worked with possess a rare combination of analytical horsepower, passion for what we do, and a high level of emotional awareness. All of which makes it a joy to be a part of the team.

Work/life is flexible, and the office is truly an enjoyable place to spend time. At the same time, people are held accountable, and recognized for performing well.

Most refreshing for me has been the ability to GET THINGS DONE. If you see an opportunity to improve something, or do something new, there is nothing stopping you from making it happen, and you will be supported by your manager and by the company.

Cons

Growing companies experience growing pains, and the last year has been a transition, and in many ways a challenge. That transition experience isn't for everyone, and it's been a distraction at times.

Advice to Management

Keep an ear to the ground - things are trending in the right direction, and it's showing in results and people's attitudes - just need to sustain that momentum.