Saint Ambrose University Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Athletic Office Assistant"

I worked at Saint Ambrose University part-time

Pros

All good things and people while working here

Cons

I do not have any cons for school

Advice to Management

N/A

2. "Opaque"

Current Employee - Faculty in Davenport, IA
    Current Employee - Faculty in Davenport, IA

I have been working at Saint Ambrose University full-time

Pros

Helping the students at St. Ambrose is rewarding. Most individual faculty and staff members are very kind and caring people. Most supervisors and positions have good flexibility on hours.

Cons

Heavy work loads, and low pay.
    The administration does not respond constructively to feedback from faculty and staff.
    The observation that the administration plans budgets poorly and creates constant yearly budget crises is spot-on.
    The administration also keeps several key parts of the budget secret, especially athletics (which, unlike NCAA institutions, St. Ambrose as a NAIA program is not required to keep separate from the overall university budget).

Advice to Management

Open the budgets to internal and external stakeholders.
    Focus new initiatives on areas that complement our brand instead of areas that put is in a losing competition with larger schools.
    Listen more to feedback from faculty and staff on strategic issues.

"Great People / Great University"

I have been working at Saint Ambrose University full-time

Pros

The people that work for and come out of SAU are second to none. Everyone exudes kindness and is here to serve.

Cons

There can be a lot asked of you based on your compensation.

"Steer clear."

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Saint Ambrose University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits and time off due to Catholic holidays. Small community feel.

Cons

Lack of opportunities to move up. Severe lack of administration leadership and direction, which promotes low morale and a sense of doom at the end of every fiscal year.

5. "Student Worker (Federal Work-Study Program)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davenport, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davenport, IA

I have been working at Saint Ambrose University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Student worker hours are flexible around class scheduling.
    - Supervisors understand the school comes first.
    - Great opportunity for professional networking.
    - Some positions offer major-focused skill development.

Cons

- Minimum wage for student workers.
    - Most student worker positions are busy-work.
    - Few student worker positions offer things that make a real impact on a resume.

Advice to Management

- Focus on making tasks that students can talk about in an interview. It's important that they get real projects that make an impact (along with all that busy-work).

6. "Good Place to Work"

I have been working at Saint Ambrose University full-time

Pros

Quality Staff Interaction and good benefits

Cons

Leadership Lack of Direction and low morale

7. "Graduate Assistance in International Admission office"

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Davenport, IA
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Davenport, IA

I have been working at Saint Ambrose University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People here are nice. I have a very good time working here. Time are flexible and I learned a lot here.

Cons

I expect pay to be higher.

"Growing Pains"

Current Employee - Director in Davenport, IA
    Current Employee - Director in Davenport, IA

Pros

Decent salary with good benefits

Cons

Poor, old-school, top-down management style with an Old Boys Club feel.

Advice to Management

Needs a complete overhaul.

9. "Visiting Assistant Professor"

Pros

I enjoyed working with a wonderful set of colleagues. There was a lot of support for students who were struggling as well. The values are impeccable.

Cons

The salary was very low, even for a Master's degree. The benefits cost a lot of money for families.

10. "Admissions Counselor"

I worked at Saint Ambrose University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Highly motivated staff and the unique opportunity to work with young people and sell the experience of college. I enjoyed the small school atmosphere, I was always encouraged and supported in my efforts to connect with other departments and get involved with various committees and groups. The role as an Admissions counselor was a great crash course for learning basic skills in sales and marketing, as well as the basics of the school, academic programs and financial aid. I valued the independence to the job, as counselors, we were all assigned to our own territories and pool of prospective students. It would be up to ourselves to determine various strategies and best practices for recruitment. I felt like I learned the most from these opportunities of empowerment.

Cons

At the time of my employment, there were minimal opportunities to be formally promoted, both for new responsibilities and financial compensation. It is now my understanding that a few roles have been put in place to offer current employees opportunities for growth. I also felt that I lacked the strategic knowledge of admissions and recruitment, as the Director at the time was very removed from this element of the admissions process. Had I been given the opportunity to be trained, I think I would have considered sticking with the field for a longer period of time, as this training could lead to new and interesting avenues within higher education.

Advice to Management

Continue to identify opportunities to create leadership roles and promotions for the staff to ensure that recognition can be given. Encourage staff to embark on professional development, provide options for continuing education with master's programs, or certifications. Work collaboratively with the admissions counselors to determine innovative strategies for recruitment, help them to feel empowered and provide opportunities for them to own the various stages of admissions recruiting.