Saint Elizabeth Health Care Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Shirlee Sharkey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You really do become part of the family and you really do make a difference in the lives of others (in 3 reviews)

• Community nursing is a great place to learn new skills (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Driving in all types of weather, less pay, not enough compensation for mileage, not enough hours, management not really involved with front line staff (in 6 reviews)

• Clients are often felt feeling frustrated by lack of communication from the office and lack of consistency in their visits (in 4 reviews)

"Let's keep it real!"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Ontario, CA

I have been working at Saint Elizabeth Health Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good further education incentives and lots of in-service on current treatment best practice
    Some flexibility in scheduling your work hours
    Managers and other co-workers are respectful

Cons

Poor wage compensation
    Many hours of unpaid time
    Mileage compensation is poor
    Benefit plan is fairly mediocre but at least there is one
    Poor communication between departments
    Senior management is way out of touch with the reality of what goes on in the field.
    Priorities of management do not reflect actual needs of company and employees
    Did I mention very poor communication
    Lots of scheduling problems
    Lots of IT issues not properly dealt with or ignored completely
    Lots of lip service to problems but nothing really dealt with
    Very poor wage compensation for skill level required
    Better work life balance, when your nurse is off, she should actually be off for the entire day, not have to check and respond to emails

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what your nurses tell you every day.
    Pay your nurses a fair and competitive wage
    Fix your IT problems and tablets
    Pay attention to regional differences and be more accommodating to them
    Sit down with your front line staff and get the real story and please CEO, get off your ivory tower. I would be willing to bet that you are not grossly underpaid!

"Opportunity, growth, innovation and the chance to truly "make a difference""

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Ontario, CA

I have been working at Saint Elizabeth Health Care full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The mission of this not-for-profit social enterprise is to "...spread hope and happiness into lives of clients and their families every day..." I mean seriously, what other company has a mission like this!?!? Amazing career and professional opportunities. I started as a visiting nurse, and have had amazing support and professional development opportunities over the past 12 years I have been with this company. Through financial education support, mentoring, and progressive opportunities and positions, I have continued to grow personally and professionally with this employer. The best part is that I can see an exciting future full of potential and opportunities in the years I anticipate working with and growing with this company. I can see myself with a bright future here. There is something to be said for working for a company that cares to make a difference for the people we serve, that also cares about their people and recognizes their people as essential to the success of the company.

Cons

Well, if I have to try to find a "con" and offer some constructive feedback, I would say that you have to be cautious with maintaining an appropriate "home and work life balance" as it can be easy in home and community care practice to "blur the lines" if you aren't mindful of it. Given what can be a very "virtual" work environment where you are working in peoples homes, and out in the community, the work day is not a "structured". For the most part, this is an excellent thing, allowing for great flexibility in how you practice. You just need to be mindful to not let it take over your breakfast or dinner table and try to put some reasonable "fences" around your work/play/family time. Just to be clear though, I would say that this "con" is not unique to this specific employer, it can be part and parcel of the home and community care sector in general.

Advice to Management

Keep on innovating! Saint Elizabeth has a reputation for being the "tip of the spear" when it comes to home/community care and transitions. The courage to take chances, and go where other companies may hesitate to go has been a formula for success and truly differentiates this company from others in the home and community care sector. I have worked with several "competitors" prior to coming to Saint Elizabeth. Without a doubt, Saint Elizabeth is a radically different type of employer and care provider. Keep it up, be true to your over-a-century and counting roots, and insist on nothing less than excellence for the future of health care wherever you choose to "grow"!

3. "Subtle lies, but if looking for part time, ok"

Current Employee - PSw in Hamilton, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - PSw in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Saint Elizabeth Health Care part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get attached to clients. The pace is good, as well as the daily variety. If you like people, care about them, its a good fit.

Cons

Don't expect any raises. After two years, I get the same rate as a newbie. In reality, they do everything they can to minimize costs. Even nit picking BS. For example, they give you "travel time" but it is based on google, where stops lights, detours, rush hour are not factors. It may take you 10 minutes, but you will probably get credited 4 minutes. Doing a "country route" may actually cost you as much as you earn. (You don't get mileage until AFTER 50 km, starting AFTER the first client.)

Advice to Management

We are risking our contracts due to missed calls. Instead of squeezing employees to "save" every nickel, why not give them $20/day (in real) gas money, if only for country runs? Second, praise those who go beyond. I recently prevented 7 Missed Calls... And while St.E mileage policies "saved" the company maybe $10 in gas, it personally cost me about $20 in gas and time. Take a guess, was I praised or reprimanded when I asked for gas money? Sure feels like a slap in the face. Can't wait to do it again!

4. "Health Services Supervisor"

I have been working at Saint Elizabeth Health Care full-time

Pros

The Senior team are always looking to the future of home Healthcare.

Cons

Difficult to give the attention required to staff

5. "Exciting Workplace offering more if you want"

Current Employee - Personal Support Worker in Trenton, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Personal Support Worker in Trenton, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Saint Elizabeth Health Care part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am a satisfied Part-Time PSW out in the field (Home Care), and I consistently feel well looked after by my Supervisor and Coordinator in particular. As well, I like I am listened to by other levels of staff in "higher" departments. If you want to move up in your career, you simply have to show your keen interest, and you will be noticed. They offer wonderful monthly Team Meetings, which are always enlightening.

Cons

Sometimes communication of clients needs can be a bit on the slow side, especially if it involves the CCAC. This is not necessarily the fault of Saint Elizabeth.

Advice to Management

1. Reconsider annual raises based on each individual's performance reviews. 2. Continue to strengthen your connection of communication between the client, the company, and the CCAC, to prevent frustration between the client and the PSW.

6. "Acceptable"

Pros

Relatively high rate of pay

Cons

Relatively low amount of hours for part time

7. "CSS"

Pros

-colleagues are great
    -lots of food

Cons

-management is misdirected and confused
    -not enough support

8. "visiting nurse"

I have been working at Saint Elizabeth Health Care part-time

Pros

actually work less hours than you get paid for

Cons

alot of work at home, tablets suck, pts cancel, hours suck

Advice to Management

more equality of hours instead of playing favourites to other nurses

9. "service coordinator"

Former Employee - Service Coordinator in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Service Coordinator in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Saint Elizabeth Health Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

co workers were nice, nice staff and building

Cons

terrible environment, stressful, low pay,

10. "Good working environment"

Pros

Good management, good team. Benefits for employees

Cons

Not enough hours given to employees