Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics Reviews | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics Reviews

Updated December 3, 2017

2.0
Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics Senior Vice-President in charge of the High Performance Materials Sector Laurent Guillot
Laurent Guillot

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work life balance at times (in 11 reviews)

• That allows everyone to be engaged in the work environment and everybody is really friendly as well (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can be improved (in 5 reviews)

• Like any big company, there is always the red tape to get things approved and signed off which is a struggle (in 5 reviews)

"Work environment has changed for the worst"

Current Employee - CNC Machinist in Garden Grove, CA
    Current Employee - CNC Machinist in Garden Grove, CA

I have been working at Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many nice coworkers. 11 holidays and 5 sick days. 5 weeks of vacation for me with over 20 years. 401K matching. Pension for people who joined before 2000.

Cons

The company is very political. Management doesn't listen to production people. Management thinks they know everything. We are suppose to listen and not talk back. If management doesn't like you, they will give you impossible goals to accomplish and then they put you on performance improvement plans. 20 to 30 years with the company means nothing. 3 people are right now out sick long term due to crazy stress because of bullying. Local HR is weak and scared of management themselves. Corporate HR simply ignores many complaints because whatever happens it doesn't really affect them.

Advice to Management

Listen! Talk to us like you talk to your boss. A big title doesn't mean you know everything. I know it is stressful for you too. We all want a better environment to work in.

"Crash and Burn"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garden Grove, CA

I have been working at Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My manager is great. He tries to support however possible but he is only one of many.

Cons

System is in disarray and dysfunctional. Hardly any communication. Orders get dropped but with no clear direction or guidelines and you are left to figure it out for yourself.
    Employees are not trained and often lack the tools and resouces to do their job.

Advice to Management

Communicate clearly and completely! Recognize the efforts of your people.

Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics Response

Nov 8, 2017 – Director of HR

Thank you for giving your feedback. We continue to work on our culture and environment in Garden Grove. The good news is that we are making investments in the site and bringing in new business and... More

"Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Granville, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Granville, NY

I have been working at Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics full-time

Pros

Operators, job security, pay for the area. Global company has many great opportunities.

Cons

Site specific: Slow to improve. Not enough people to get needed work properly planned nor completed. Management is untrusting, rather arbitrarily cuts budgets, and bullies employees. These things limit technical career growth in the engineering field.

Advice to Management

Trust the professional recommendations of people you hire. HR should NOT allow managers to bully others. Stop some of the beurocracy and provide improvement budgets.

Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics Response

May 1, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your experience in the Granville location. We are pleased that you see all the opportunities for growth and development in our global... More

"Management team is weak, indecisive."

Current Employee - Senior Quality Engineer in Garden Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Quality Engineer in Garden Grove, CA

Pros

There is a pension and 401k matching. Good work life balance. Company promotes safety.

Cons

Managers don't trust their people and vice versa. Employees are increasingly disengaged. Company is shrinking fast.

Advice to Management

Trust the employees to make decisions and not micromanaging. Promote from within. Gender balancing means men and women have equal chance but only women are being promoted and it's not fair.

"Sr. Manufacturing Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garden Grove, CA

I have been working at Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of connections, global business

Cons

Dont treat you well, HR is a joke, when people leave they consolidate jobs and give you more tasks. They also have a weird hayband system you get stuck in when it comes to a merit increase.

6. "Underpaid intern"

Current Intern - Engineering Intern in South Merrimack, NH
    Current Intern - Engineering Intern in South Merrimack, NH

I have been working at Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics as an intern (More than 3 years)

Pros

laid back work environment, flexible hours, SOME great people, interesting product line

Cons

not recognised for many years of experience, no pay raise after 3+ years. treated disrespectfully by other employees at times. very underpaid for an engineering internship.

Advice to Management

recognise interns with pay raises when they have many years of experience in a department

"Extrusion op"

Current Employee - Extrusion Op in Taunton, MA
    Current Employee - Extrusion Op in Taunton, MA

I have been working at Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I could say only a handful of co workers that willing to help you anyways they can. Other then that it is one uncomfortable place to work at.

Cons

Miserable first shift lead. there are many qualified candidates that is better at leading the dept. training is a joke by the lead, minorities tread carefully cause you are out numbered. Coverage for breaks and lunchtime sometimes u have to wait forever to eat and take breaks. This place is a joke.

Advice to Management

Please do a better job at monitoring of how the employees are being treated on daily basis.

"Lots of Improvement Needed"

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics full-time

Pros

-People in general are very nice, and work environment was good.
    -Saint-Gobain PPL makes sure that your work condition is safe, and the plant was very clean compared to most of the other plastic manufacturing plant I have been in.
    -It's a decently stable job because most of their product lines are mature and the market does not fluctuate that much.
    -Work/life balance is good.

Cons

-Pay is significantly lower than other leading plastics manufacturing companies.
    -Workers are often promoted to managers or leads based on number of years at the company or how much education they have, not necessarily whether they're good at what they do.
    -I think it is to save money, but many of the positions when people leave are not back-filled, which means all the other people have to fill in that gap. I was constantly running around "fighting fires" and doing several different types of jobs because there was no one else to take care of things.
    -Because it's a stable job, people get used to doing just their work and it's easy to get complacent. This means that a few people who actually want to do a good job end up doing multiple tasks and get overwhelmed.

Advice to Management

Please make sure to back fill those positions that opens up when someone leaves. Make sure to put tools in place to ensure communications between different plants for the same business. Build culture from the plant level that we can trust each other - not that you have to fight for yourself all the time. Constant battling between different plants makes it very difficult to have a profitable business. Don't just talk among themselves or trust what the other managers say -- Get out of meeting rooms and talk to people in the plant. You'll learn much more about the company that way.

"Wish it was better"

Current Employee - Administration
    Current Employee - Administration

Pros

Large global corporation with many locations. Appears to have emphasis on safety.

Cons

Unprofessional behavior demonstrated by managers in key positions; which includes yelling at employees, embarrassing employees and disrespect.

Advice to Management

Management development is critically needed. If behavior is allowed to continue then Saint-Gobain needs to terminate the managers who are acting in this manner.

"Manager"

I worked at Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics full-time

Pros

Compensation was at or above market. Opportunity for advancement

Cons

You will run into politics and poor leadership who are focused on a personal agenda rather than what the company propaganda would lead you to believe.

Advice to Management

Say what you are going to do and do it. Stop with the politics, favoritism, and program of the month feel.