Saint Joseph's University Reviews in Philadelphia, PA | Glassdoor

Philadelphia, PA Area

4.4
Dr. Mark C. Reed

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • So on the whole, it is a great place to work (in 6 reviews)

• Flexible hours, academic setting, work study plus (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • working part time while obtaining my masters degree (in 2 reviews)

• faculty employees and some students have been caught between these conflicting political visions (in 4 reviews)

1. "Graduate Teaching Assistant"

Current Employee - Graduate Research/Teaching Assistant in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Graduate Research/Teaching Assistant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Saint Joseph's University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Academic atmosphere, friendly staff, great geographical location, and brilliant to gain academic experience.

Cons

Computer Science department is relatively small

Advice to Management

N/A

2. "Great work culture"

Current Contractor - Tutor and Scribe in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Contractor - Tutor and Scribe in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Saint Joseph's University as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Center for Students with Disabilities has a great staff that is extremely accommodating and delightful to work with.

Cons

Difficult to advance from contractor to full-time

Advice to Management

I work as a contractor, so this isn't especially applicable.

3. "Good Place to Work"

Former Employee - Cataloging Inventory Project Assistant in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Cataloging Inventory Project Assistant in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Saint Joseph's University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours and good pay

Cons

Work can get boring at times

"Good place to work"

Former Employee - Faculty in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Faculty in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Saint Joseph's University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Small but stable university, respectful of faculty, appreciative of employee contribution, faculty are supportive and create a safe and secure environment for intellectual freedom, students get individualized attention, support services for students are excellent, high academic expectations and achievements, several extra curricular options for students, highly respected status in the community, students are well prepared and happy to be at sju, university has an optimistic viewpoint in terms of the future.

Cons

Lacks cultural diversity, keeps slipping into the old boys club mentality, caught in an identity crisis of trying to compete with larger public universities who privilege research and scholarship to move up the ranking order and competing private institutions which focus on teaching as their strongest recruitment tool.

Advice to Management

Decide whether we want to be at the bottom of the ranks as a research institution or at the top as a teaching university. Market a distinct identity that is sustainable.

"A Pleasant and Rewarding Place to Work in Higher Ed. (but...)"

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Saint Joseph's University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I consider my work at this university as more than "just a job." It is a calling, a vocation, a personal devotion. I believe that my teaching and my other work is valued by many of my colleagues and by many administrators. There is a strong sense of community and of respect for human beings. ("Cura personalis," or "care for the whole person" is a part of the Jesuit ethos and it plays out in many very real ways at this university.) I have found a number of meaningful, productive, satisfying roles to play within the Saint Joseph's University community. The Jesuit/Ignatian identity of the school is highly resonant and meaningful for me. So on the whole, it is a great place to work. Truly. I do not regret the devotion that I have shown this institution. I continue to believe in the deep and abiding value and the real *goodness* of its Mission.

Cons

At this point in its history, Saint Joseph's University is struggling to clarify and affirm its identity and its "way of proceeding" for the rest of the twenty-first century. Over the last three decades (since the 1990s), this university has been seeking to define itself, through periods of growth and contraction. Significant forces at the institution want to remain faithful to a certain "mom and pop shop" liberal arts college mentality, by remaining small and committed to certain traditions and ad hoc organizational principles. Other forces seem to want to jam this smallish university into the role of a "research-oriented university" by committing to growth and to professionalization and corporatization, increasing research and levels of faculty prestige, driving down teaching costs and investing more in IT and research infrastructure, etc. To some degree, some elements of the institution, including policies and processes, faculty members, administrators, many non-faculty employees and some students have been caught between these conflicting political visions. Feelings have been hurt; some employees paid an emotional and material price for the lack of clarity or the vacillation between the two trends. What is more finances are always a worry, largely because of the difficult environment of higher education in general and the competitive Philadelphia-area college and university market in particular. In short, SJU can occasionally be a worrisome and confusing place of work.

Advice to Management

SJU seems to be on the right track. Still, there are ways in which what looks like heartless human resources decisions are hard to reconcile with "cura personalis." Find an even keel; explain decisions clearly; demonstrate real respect for all employees; have (and *communicate*) a clear vision of slow, steady growth; identify a clear path. (Is SJU all about research and prestige? commitment to small class sizes and personalized instruction? Jesuit identity? High-quality learning inspired and informed by Ignatian spirituality? good financial performance? investment in research infrastructure? education for "gainful-employment"?) There are challenges, but the institution is a very good one, with many employees sincerely committed to its Mission. Don't neglect that resource, even in turbulent times.

6. "Assistant Professor"

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Saint Joseph's University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours and supportive department

Cons

Relatively underpaid, under-resourced, and they are chipping away at benefits

7. "Graduate Assistant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Saint Joseph's University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment. Clean and safe school. Many connections run through the school.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Make this school more well known across the nation!

8. "Graduate Assistant"

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Saint Joseph's University (More than a year)

Pros

Good exposure and on hand experience

Cons

None that I have come across thus far

Advice to Management

They are doing a great job

9. "Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA

I worked at Saint Joseph's University (More than 8 years)

Pros

The Jesuit mission should drive decisions

Cons

Frequent changes in top administration

Advice to Management

Transparency

10. "Saint Joseph's University"

Former Employee - Food Marketing Librarian in Wallingford, PA
    Former Employee - Food Marketing Librarian in Wallingford, PA

I worked at Saint Joseph's University (More than 3 years)

Pros

collegial environment, beautiful campus, Jesuit mission

Cons

financial problems, leadership change, business school overshadows School of Arts and Sciences