Saint Joseph's University Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Dr. Mark C. Reed

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • So on the whole, it is a great place to work (in 6 reviews)

• I enjoy working with not only the people in my department and division but also the faculty and staff persons (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • working part time while obtaining my masters degree (in 2 reviews)

• faculty employees and some students have been caught between these conflicting political visions (in 4 reviews)

1. "Dedicated to Students and Staff"

I worked at Saint Joseph's University full-time

Pros

Always trying to improve, probably a university on the rise in the region

Cons

The area still leaves something to be desired, especially south of City Ave.

Advice to Management

Spend less of advertising budget on national ads and more on regional ones.

"Good place to work"

Former Employee - Faculty in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Faculty in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Saint Joseph's University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Small but stable university, respectful of faculty, appreciative of employee contribution, faculty are supportive and create a safe and secure environment for intellectual freedom, students get individualized attention, support services for students are excellent, high academic expectations and achievements, several extra curricular options for students, highly respected status in the community, students are well prepared and happy to be at sju, university has an optimistic viewpoint in terms of the future.

Cons

Lacks cultural diversity, keeps slipping into the old boys club mentality, caught in an identity crisis of trying to compete with larger public universities who privilege research and scholarship to move up the ranking order and competing private institutions which focus on teaching as their strongest recruitment tool.

Advice to Management

Decide whether we want to be at the bottom of the ranks as a research institution or at the top as a teaching university. Market a distinct identity that is sustainable.

3. "Great University with Lots of Professional Development"

I worked at Saint Joseph's University full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunity for collaboration within the university and with other universities

Cons

Lack of diversity, although it is growing

"A Pleasant and Rewarding Place to Work in Higher Ed. (but...)"

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Saint Joseph's University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I consider my work at this university as more than "just a job." It is a calling, a vocation, a personal devotion. I believe that my teaching and my other work is valued by many of my colleagues and by many administrators. There is a strong sense of community and of respect for human beings. ("Cura personalis," or "care for the whole person" is a part of the Jesuit ethos and it plays out in many very real ways at this university.) I have found a number of meaningful, productive, satisfying roles to play within the Saint Joseph's University community. The Jesuit/Ignatian identity of the school is highly resonant and meaningful for me. So on the whole, it is a great place to work. Truly. I do not regret the devotion that I have shown this institution. I continue to believe in the deep and abiding value and the real *goodness* of its Mission.

Cons

At this point in its history, Saint Joseph's University is struggling to clarify and affirm its identity and its "way of proceeding" for the rest of the twenty-first century. Over the last three decades (since the 1990s), this university has been seeking to define itself, through periods of growth and contraction. Significant forces at the institution want to remain faithful to a certain "mom and pop shop" liberal arts college mentality, by remaining small and committed to certain traditions and ad hoc organizational principles. Other forces seem to want to jam this smallish university into the role of a "research-oriented university" by committing to growth and to professionalization and corporatization, increasing research and levels of faculty prestige, driving down teaching costs and investing more in IT and research infrastructure, etc. To some degree, some elements of the institution, including policies and processes, faculty members, administrators, many non-faculty employees and some students have been caught between these conflicting political visions. Feelings have been hurt; some employees paid an emotional and material price for the lack of clarity or the vacillation between the two trends. What is more finances are always a worry, largely because of the difficult environment of higher education in general and the competitive Philadelphia-area college and university market in particular. In short, SJU can occasionally be a worrisome and confusing place of work.

Advice to Management

SJU seems to be on the right track. Still, there are ways in which what looks like heartless human resources decisions are hard to reconcile with "cura personalis." Find an even keel; explain decisions clearly; demonstrate real respect for all employees; have (and *communicate*) a clear vision of slow, steady growth; identify a clear path. (Is SJU all about research and prestige? commitment to small class sizes and personalized instruction? Jesuit identity? High-quality learning inspired and informed by Ignatian spirituality? good financial performance? investment in research infrastructure? education for "gainful-employment"?) There are challenges, but the institution is a very good one, with many employees sincerely committed to its Mission. Don't neglect that resource, even in turbulent times.

5. "It was good, but ..."

I worked at Saint Joseph's University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

flex, good benefit, very nice co-worker

Cons

the administer team was very low level

6. "Work Study Student"

Pros

good job, was able to do school work, relaxing workplace

Cons

no cons really enjoyed job

7. "Student"

I have been working at Saint Joseph's University full-time

Pros

Great educational opportunities as well as social and service opportunities.

Cons

Very liberal-sided campus and staff whose biases are seen in campus life and class. Campion dining hall can be tough, and buildings are built very cheaply.

8. "Assistant Professor"

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Saint Joseph's University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours and supportive department

Cons

Relatively underpaid, under-resourced, and they are chipping away at benefits

9. "Moving in the right direction"

I have been working at Saint Joseph's University full-time

Pros

Collegial atmosphere that mirrors Jesuit values

Cons

Pay for parking increases seem excessive

Advice to Management

Continue positive activities such as strategic planning, communication meetings, etc.

10. "Adjunct professor"

I worked at Saint Joseph's University part-time

Pros

Excellent faculty. Dedicated to their students. Gorgeous campus.

Cons

Adjunct pay is cripplingly low.