Saint Mary's College Reviews | Glassdoor

Jan Cervelli

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Student worker"

I have been working at Saint Mary's College part-time

Pros

As a current student, I appreciate the flexibility allowed by the different on campus jobs

Cons

Student worker literally equals minimum wage, so you're not getting much.

2. "Great Student Worker Experience"

I worked at Saint Mary's College part-time

Pros

I worked with multiple professors to help them grade homework assignments. Some of the pros were that I was able to work on my own schedule (as long as HW was picked up/returned on time, I was able to do the actual grading whenever I had time), and was able to qualify for the position without having work study.

Cons

The cons really depended on which professors I was working for. Some were delightful, but some were very difficult. I once had a professor get extremely angry that the homework I was supposed to grade was not returned on time despite the e-mail I had sent explaining that I was currently in the emergency room. That professor was an anomaly, however, and most were great to work with.

Advice to Management

I can't complain- it was organized well and I made slightly over minimum wage (which was more than some other campus jobs made), so I was satisfied with my overall experience.

"Overall work experience"

Pros

SMC does a great job when it comes to work-life balance and benefits. Because it is an educational environment, managers are understanding of the needs of various constituent groups and I have yet to encounter a time where I did not feel like my needs were respected and valued.

Cons

The only downside to SMC is that it is in a small city and is often overshadowed by Notre Dame across the street. It makes it difficult to do your job fully and completely when others compare you to ND which is a much larger institution with more students and resources.

Advice to Management

I have truly enjoyed working at Saint Mary's. I think that the leadership does a good job with keeping us informed and being transparent. Just keep doing what we are doing and hold our own course.