Saint Mary's University (Texas) Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Good school, good people, a bit slow to innovate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Saint Mary's University (Texas) (More than 5 years)

Pros

People believe in the Catholic Marianist mission and put that to work in their daily lives. Everyone truly cares about the students, and there is a family atmosphere. The institution is grounded in who it is. It was a great place to start my career.

Cons

Because the school is so grounded in its identity, change can be slow, and we didn't always attract the best talent to the staff. People also tend to stay longer than they should because it is comfortable. That didn't always help us innovate.

Advice to Management

Be bold.

2. "Tutor"

Former Employee - Chinese Mandarin Tutor, Spanish Tutor in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Chinese Mandarin Tutor, Spanish Tutor in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Saint Mary's University (Texas) (More than a year)

Pros

Staff around you are supportive and encouraging.

Cons

I did not experience any negative moments.

3. "Very cool way to work during school"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Saint Mary's University (Texas) part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Since it was a work-study position, school was easy to balance. In most of my positions, I could do schoolwork alongside work for school too. And it is technically a job so that is awesome to put on a resume. The projects I got to work on were real and gave me a lot of experience for the work force. It is though, definitely up to you, some people walk out there positions never going for those projects. But the opportunity is there.

Cons

minimum wage is what students are paid which sucks when you hear how other schools pay 11 or 15/hr for work studies. Also placement is hard. The last few year, work study positions have been on the decrease because of other focuses from the school.

Advice to Management

the school is nerdy. new stadiums and such are wasted on these students. More work study positions would be nice so that placement isn't happening a month late. And fix the system. I get the internet makes it easier, but when departments aren't used to it, you need to be more proactive.

5. "Good"

Former Employee - Workstudy in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Workstudy in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Saint Mary's University (Texas) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a good experience.
    Nice persons, flexible hours.

Cons

But too much drama and disorganized in my office. Clearly, there were favorites, had to attend events early morning, late. work studies did everything, from filing to tours.
    We were not properly trained.

Advice to Management

Get organized.

6. "Great experience"

Former Employee - Resident Assistant in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Resident Assistant in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Saint Mary's University (Texas) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It allows you to educate the other students how to live a more ethical life and why it is important to focus on doing well in school.

Cons

Extremely time consuming. You do not get all holidays off.

Advice to Management

It would be great if you allowed more time for the health and safety checks that take place twice a year.

7. "Research Assistant"

Former Employee - Attorney At Law in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Attorney At Law in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Professor was amazing and easy to work with

Cons

Pay was low and payroll was difficult to deal with at times

8. "Graduate Assistant Position"

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Saint Mary's University (Texas) part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This university is a good one for working employees with a full time job to be able to get graduate degrees because the graduate classes are in the evenings after work hours. The primary duties of the position was to Interact with Professor on a one on one basis, manage and maintain a lab, grade students exams, and review final project papers. Flexible hours.

Cons

Not challenging enough, need to go out of your way to try to learn something new, no tuition waivers offered.

Advice to Management

Need to grant assistant-ships and scholarships to more graduate students if possible.

9. "It was awesome."

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Saint Mary's University (Texas) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

no pressures, very little time to be at work. lots of time free.

Cons

not much personal growth. not much salary growth.

Advice to Management

Increase salary's every year.

10. "Family away from home."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Saint Mary's University (Texas) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Everyone has worked at the University for a while so they are friends or are like family. They treat new comers just the same as a friend or a family member while keeping a high level of professionalism.

Cons

Since everyone knows each other in one capacity or another, a person does have to be careful with what information they share. Casual conversations come up all the time.

Advice to Management

Many changes are going on at the administration level and budget cuts are happening everywhere, as is in every other institution, but many of the employees who work here have chosen to stay for so long because of the atmosphere and the benefits. The benefits which come to mind are things such as summer hours, holiday days off, and other time off that is considered paid university closure. Stripping these benefits away to save 30 minutes in the summer time will continue to add to the negative feel that some of these cuts have already made. If administration keeps trying to change this University using other University structures then St. Mary's will no longer be the unique gem that it is and what we market to prospective students. Yes change is good but be sure to keep the mission in mind. In the long run it will do more harm in loosing the loyalty so many employees have while not saving that much money financially. Employees here go over and beyond what their job descriptions list and this is because of the collective loyalty and mission to make St. Mary's University somewhere a student will leave their home to attend (a home away from home). My advice to management would be try to truly see the value in having employees that are truly loyal.

11. "Mismarketed"

Former Employee - Financial Aid in Leavenworth, KS
    Former Employee - Financial Aid in Leavenworth, KS

Pros

Low level employees have great enthusiasm for representing the school. School spirit, desire to train students to become competitive in the world marketplace, and professional approach to attracting students is good.

Cons

Good ole' boy mentality in the business office ruins experience for students and any admin that tries to help students. School markets itself to first generation college bound minority students, only to spring the cost of a (small) private school on unsuspecting and confused parents.

Advice to Management

Job share in administrative and recruiting positions would attract quality, professional military spouses to work. That in turn would attract students who are able to pay for the education.