Saint Michael's College Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jack Neuhauser
1 Rating

1. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Phonathon Caller in Colchester, VT
    Former Employee - Phonathon Caller in Colchester, VT

Pros

Great environment to work in with positive helpful staff

Cons

Could have more student work opportunities

2. "Comfortable for the non-ambitious"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colchester, VT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colchester, VT

I have been working at Saint Michael's College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pretty campus, very nice people, excellent health care, generous time off, tuition remission, etc. Lots of smart people who will do anything to lend a hand and a close, caring community

Cons

No such thing as merit pay. Whether you do your job well or just sit at your desk for 8 hours, you're paid the same and treated the same. Ambition is perceived as negative and threatening. Management attitude is "if you want a better job, or to make more money, go find it somewhere else." People stay in the same jobs for years/decades/entire careers. Administration is short-sighted and cronyism runs deep. Major sucking up required to even attempt to move yourself forward professionally. Change happens and glacial speed.

Advice to Management

Notice how lots of talented young people are quitting?

3. "SMC- Residence Life"

Current Employee - Resident Director in Colchester, VT
    Current Employee - Resident Director in Colchester, VT

I have been working at Saint Michael's College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The opportunity to work closely with students on a regular basis, the benefit of getting a master's degree at almost no cost to me.

Cons

Taxable benefits, sometimes long hours-which is to be expected with this position-, not enough time in the day or week to accomplish everything I would like to.

5. "Great Job"

I have been working at Saint Michael's College part-time

Pros

Very easy environment. Hours were flexible, and my boss was very understanding. My boss taught me everything I needed to know and was very easy to get along with.

Cons

The work could be some times boring or not plentiful. Sometime I have to sit around and just wait for customers to come in for work. Some of the people who were placed in the job that clearly did not want to be there made it hard to work with.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! Great manger had a lot of fun and learned a lot about mail. I like the power structure, where the seniors are in charge and teach the new workers how them the ropes.

6. "Information Technology"

I worked at Saint Michael's College part-time

Pros

Great environment to work in, everyone's really friendly and helpful.

Cons

Communication doesn't always get across when it should.

Advice to Management

Work on more effective communication

7. "The best place to work"

I have been working at Saint Michael's College full-time

Pros

Saint Michael's College is a vibrant, intellectual community that offers so many opportunities for growth and the development of meaningful relationships and partnerships. The chance to take classes or even to go to presentations and luncheons where multicultural topics are presented and discussed with other colleagues makes me feel lucky every day to be working here.

Cons

It can always be a challenge to do more with less and at times older technology can make me feel like I'm spending too much of my time trying to make it work for what I need instead of spending my time innovating and working to improve processes and procedures. I hope that in the near future we can start investing in upgrading that technology.

Advice to Management

Make yourself as accessible as possible to all of your staff and faculty members that report to you so that we can all work towards the same goals and mission together and feel ownership and a sense of community when we come to work.

8. "Motion Graphics/ Programmer"

Former Employee - Video Editor in Iligan City (Philippines)
    Former Employee - Video Editor in Iligan City (Philippines)

Pros

Ive worked in the school which every month has individual event it was bit so hard for me cause im the only who assign in the production area untill such time ive heard it that they event recognized my job description

Cons

they didn't recognized my position that was so bad for me

9. "This community supports the 18-22 year old traditional undergraduate exceptionally well."

Pros

Clear educational objectives for a small undergraduates population simplifies measuring progress. Majority of staff and faculty have been with the college for 15 or more years which supports tradition and service continuity.

Cons

There is little room for advancement into senior management positions or pursuit of master's or terminal degrees for staff. No one leaves--many staff have been at college since they graduated. Salaries are well below market-value for similar higher education positions in the state and New England. College depends heavily on tuition revenue with no progressive approach to increasing endowments and research funding.

Advice to Management

Increase your revenue by increasing your international, military and non-traditional populations as well as restructure you institutional development to offer named-buildings to donors and take 25% ofthe weight of revenue off of back of enrollment.

10. "Review"

Current Employee - Dispatcher
    Current Employee - Dispatcher

Pros

Lots of part time available and great pay

Cons

Sometimes rough hours and busy nights with not a lot of time to complete calls

Advice to Management

HIre smart and hard working people