Saint Michael's College Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Jack Neuhauser

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Tour Guide"

Pros

Founders Society builds a strong St. Michael's student body for the future by allowing perspective families to experience the close-knit and caring SMC community. It feels wonderful to pass on one's own enthusiasm for SMC to those looking for a school with the right fit.

Cons

It can be difficult to engage and energize perspective families, school groups, etc. Maintaining one's own enthusiasm for the tour can feel draining, but there will always be someone in a tour who is truly listening and will take away that positive experience.

2. "SMC"

I have been working at Saint Michael's College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people and caring community. Flexibility in daily schedule with some jobs. Extremely generous with PTO. Wonderful students, faculty, staff. People stay working there forever. Benefits are great.

Cons

Current administration is difficult to work for and leadership is lacking. There is a lack of feedback on performance and it’s difficult to move up the ladder because so many people stay for so long. Also lack of resources and fianances for things like professional development.

Advice to Management

Leadership needs to understand the big picture and see all pieces of the puzzle. Communication across campus needs to increase and resources need to be put into all areas of campus. Different offices need to become less siloed. Younger employees need a reason to stay, whether it be incentives like merit raises to move up the ladder, professional development, or otherwise.

3. "Great place to work but insecure prospects"

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Burlington, VT
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Saint Michael's College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great collegial atmosphere, small enough to know students well.

Cons

College is going through major changes and job prospects are uncertain.

Advice to Management

Value your part-time staff better as they carry the lion's share of the heavy workload.

Nov 8, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about working as an adjunct at the college. As declining enrollment is becoming a challenge for colleges across the country, we are not alone in... More

4. "Student"

Pros

Professors were extremely concerned about students.

Cons

Food was not the best

5. "Resident Assistant"

Pros

Good school and residence life office who care about the students.

Cons

Once you became an R.A., you may lose many spare times as a student.

6. "It depends on where you work in the institution"

Current Employee - Staff in Winooski, VT
    Current Employee - Staff in Winooski, VT

I have been working at Saint Michael's College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Truly caring community; incredibly student focused and supportive of student needs and growth.

Cons

Good old boy network rewards cronyism instead of performance; limited opportunities for training or promotion; lack of a clear vision for the future

Advice to Management

Bring in new leadership with a dynamic vision - the old guard has not placed the institution on a good trajectory. It's time to stop doing things the way they've always been done.

Jun 21, 2017

Thank you for your review and feedback about your experiences working at St. Mike’s. We are excited about several new strategic initiatives in the works that will create opportunities for our staff... More

7. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Phonathon Caller in Colchester, VT
    Former Employee - Phonathon Caller in Colchester, VT

Pros

Great environment to work in with positive helpful staff

Cons

Could have more student work opportunities

Jun 21, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences working at St. Mike’s! In case you haven’t heard about it yet, the college is currently working on a robust On-Campus Student Employment model... More

8. "Information Technology"

I worked at Saint Michael's College part-time

Pros

Great environment to work in, everyone's really friendly and helpful.

Cons

Communication doesn't always get across when it should.

Advice to Management

Work on more effective communication

Jun 21, 2017

Thank you for sharing some of your experiences and impressions from your time working at the college. We are continuously striving to improve communication throughout the community. A few examples... More

9. "Great Job"

I have been working at Saint Michael's College part-time

Pros

Very easy environment. Hours were flexible, and my boss was very understanding. My boss taught me everything I needed to know and was very easy to get along with.

Cons

The work could be some times boring or not plentiful. Sometime I have to sit around and just wait for customers to come in for work. Some of the people who were placed in the job that clearly did not want to be there made it hard to work with.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! Great manger had a lot of fun and learned a lot about mail. I like the power structure, where the seniors are in charge and teach the new workers how them the ropes.

10. "The best place to work"

I have been working at Saint Michael's College full-time

Pros

Saint Michael's College is a vibrant, intellectual community that offers so many opportunities for growth and the development of meaningful relationships and partnerships. The chance to take classes or even to go to presentations and luncheons where multicultural topics are presented and discussed with other colleagues makes me feel lucky every day to be working here.

Cons

It can always be a challenge to do more with less and at times older technology can make me feel like I'm spending too much of my time trying to make it work for what I need instead of spending my time innovating and working to improve processes and procedures. I hope that in the near future we can start investing in upgrading that technology.

Advice to Management

Make yourself as accessible as possible to all of your staff and faculty members that report to you so that we can all work towards the same goals and mission together and feel ownership and a sense of community when we come to work.