Salal Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Russ Rosendal

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Salal is a great place to work!"

I have been working at Salal Credit Union full-time

Pros

This is a great company. Competitive benefits and salaries, free parking which is a huge bonus in the South Lake Union area. We have monthly All Staff meetings to discuss company progress/etc as well as upcoming changes. There’s a Suggestion Box tool to recommend things to management, which is nice because they want to hear ideas. If it can’t be implemented, they generally tell you why. What’s nice right now is that the company is conducting “employee engagement sessions” to get feedback from everyone. My experience has been that there are fun and smart people to work with and great food. You are never bored because there is always something new and interesting to learn and work on. It is an exciting time to be here with all the changes being made. Also loved the recent barbecue! Hope we do more of them!

Cons

Going through growing pains. Many projects are happening at once. Sometimes coworkers struggle with changing and it’s hard from them to go from “this is how we’ve always done it” to “let’s keep evolving” or “is this really the best way?”

Advice to Management

Stay innovative and keep the great benefits at no cost to the employees. Excited about the move to new headquarters building in Northgate!

Jun 23, 2017 – Human Resources Representative

Hi, and thanks for sharing! It’s wonderful to hear you’re having such a positive experience. You’re right about the growing pains – thank you for mentioning the employee engagement sessions, because... More

"Loaded with Opportunity!"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Salal Credit Union full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It's a small enough company to be able to know everyone, but large enough to offer a wide variety of opportunities for employees and the ability to work on a variety of projects and learn a lot. Excellent growth, innovative mindset, great benefits, and diverse business lines are just a few of the positives.

Cons

Salal's innovative mindset means the organization tries new things and evolves quickly - which isn't necessarily a good fit for everyone.

Advice to Management

Continue to improve communication and building a true corporate culture to really enhance the employees' experience.

Jun 23, 2017 – Human Resources Representative

Wow, thank you for your perspective! It’s great to gain feedback from someone who has experienced the changes in the last few years and believes we’re moving in the right direction.

We agree that... More

"Little support and too much talk"

I have been working at Salal Credit Union full-time

Pros

There are some great people working here. I know HR is trying hard to work on communication and morale and other issues that have needed to be addressed.

Cons

I don't see or feel much support here. Managers are either unaccessible because they are too busy or wrapped up in their own things like side projects and their own career goals, or they micromanage and have a 'my way or the highway' mentality. There is little middle ground. There are more than a few managers here who do not respond to emails. If you want to talk to them you are told to track them down, but some of them work from home or take a lot of time off. I have brought up career development with my manager and the conversation doesn't go anywhere. Things are talked to death here instead of action being taken.

Advice to Management

I have done the focus group and surveys, but the only response I've heard is the ways my department needs to improve. It seems that giving feedback opens yourself up to being criticized and is taken defensively, so it's hard to give advice in that type of environment.

Aug 1, 2017 – Human Resources Representative

Thank you for taking the time to let us know what you’re experiencing. It sounds like you’re finding barriers to moving forward in your career and in feeling supported and listened to, and we want to... More

"Fast Company Credit Union"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Salal Credit Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Unlike most sleepy, traditional credit unions, Salal is shaking things up. The credit union is finding ways to modernize the cooperative financial movement, focusing on niche business opportunities and providing returns to members in the form of evolving services, valuable products at or better than market prices. Salal is filled with people that care, work hard and focus on doing what is right for the members and the credit union. It's a dynamic place to work with opportunities for those willing to put in the effort, think and act smart and are open to change and changing.

Cons

There are more opportunities than resources here. Teams, duties and responsibilities are constantly changing. At the headquarters, individuals can feel like the job they started is not the same as the one they're doing in six months or a year later. Traditional marketing is lacking so, to build business in the branches, branch employees need to focus on the member in front of them to gain referrals for business.

Advice to Management

Communicate to staff as much since the priorities are ever changing. Focus on the core values. Keep seeking new opportunities.

May 30, 2017 – Human Resources Representative

Thank you for your review! The rapid changes can be really challenging; it’s one of the reasons we’re working to find more effective and efficient modes of communicating information via various... More

"It's challenging but you'll learn a lot"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Salal Credit Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It isn't the easiest place to work because we are growing a lot, and that requires you to think critically to address challenges and solve problems. I have learned a ton and people like to share and explain - that openness is really unique. I like my team and find we work really well together, and people are generally friendly and helpful. We have a unique business model and it has been really lucrative in recent years, it is nice working for a company that is financially strong.

Cons

There is a lot of change and a lot of projects/initiatives that are going on simultaneously. This leads to sometimes feeling pretty stretched thin. This isn't a place where you can work and just do the same thing day after day in most roles. I like variety but for people who like routine and always having the problem solved for you, this isn't a great fit.

Advice to Management

Improve accountability and consistency - though it isn't the most fun conversation to have, it's critical to ensuring teams are growing and developing in line with the business.

Jun 9, 2017 – Human Resources Representative

We’re so glad to hear how well your team works together! That’s a great reflection. Thank you for your feedback. Accountability is really important to us, and we’re excited to be incorporating some... More

"So far so good!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Salal Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employment with Salal Credit Union has offered me the proverbial "foot in the door" into my desired career. As a relatively new employee my interview and then on boarding experience is fairly current and I have nothing but positive things to say. My interviews were scheduled quickly and communication regarding my status was fast and concise.

Everyone in my department has been friendly, helpful, and consistent when dealing with roles and responsibilities.Fostering a strong team environment is clearly something Salal cares about. I also appreciate the diversity and innovation the Salal offers which is something that is not found in a typical finical institution setting.

The benefits that are offered are quite impressive with 100% employer paid dental, vision, and medical.I haven't used the tuition reimbursement yet but from talking with others it seems fairly easy to use. The initial PTO and Sick time that is offered seems very competitive.

Regarding promotion potential. I haven't been with the company long enough to start that conversation with management but in the time I've been here I have seen several, hard working employee's advance to hire level positions. It's nice to know that hard work is rewarded at this company and I look forward to my own growth here at Salal.

Cons

The building we work in is a little dated.

Parking could be better.

Jun 9, 2017 – Human Resources Representative

Hi there, and thanks for taking the time to tell us your experience! It sounds like we must have been especially successful in our on-boarding, and that’s fantastic news.

We HEAR YOU about the... More

7. "Satisfied Employee"

I have been working at Salal Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, path for development, friendly co-workers, transportation subsidy or parking provided, tuition reimbursement. Overall positive place to work.

Cons

I have no complaints with my department. Overall there are some growing pains in the company but it seems like the management team is working to remedy most of the issues.

Advice to Management

Continue to support your staff and work on developing the culture a little bit more. Salal is moving to a new building within the next year so this is a good opportunity to engage the staff and allow them to help the company start fresh and feel like they are taking part in the decision making process.

Jun 23, 2017 – Human Resources Representative

Thank you for leaving a review for us. We’re very glad to find you’re feeling good about your department, and to see the work we’re doing is visible! Developing the culture more is something we’re... More

"Growing in the Right Direction"

I have been working at Salal Credit Union full-time

Pros

- Benefits and communication make it clear the company leaders value sustainable work-life balance
    - Recognition of employee actions that exemplify the mission and company values promote and encourage a compassionate culture
    - CEO and some other leaders in the company are obviously on board with the mission and values
    - Structures are coming into place that will hold everyone to the same standards for upward mobility

Cons

- Lack of training for mid-level and some upper management negatively impact morale, accomplishments and success of many departments

Advice to Management

Hold members of the senior team accountable for the managers they oversee. You will see DRAMATIC improvement.

Jun 16, 2017 – Human Resources Representative

Thank you for your feedback. We’re glad you are enjoying the work/life balance we encourage and the incorporation of our values into our day-to-day communication. We’re excited about the positive... More

9. "I love working here!"

I have been working at Salal Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salal has been a fantastic place to work. Salal has invested so much time in developing my skills, and I am able to be apart of a lot of projects that in a larger company I would not be able to be in.

Cons

The company is growing, so procedures are not always in place.There is a lot thrown at which can be overwhelming, but that is how you grow.

Advice to Management

Most managers are new or not experienced at managing employees. They should work on developing those skills. Senior Management needs to be more engaged with the employees.

May 30, 2017 – Human Resources Representative

We’re so glad you love working here! We agree rapid growth needs to be supported with procedures and resources for employees, and we’re focusing on knowledge management as a key project in... More

10. "Lack of communication and direction"

I have been working at Salal Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent medical and dental bennies, free parking at HQ, free food, goodhearted people, doing what's right for our members

Cons

Priorities are constantly shifting and you are lucky if someone remembers to fill you in on what is expected of you when things turn on a dime. Promises are made and then not delivered which impacts employee morale. Management often waits until the last minute to communicate changes and information is given out to select people only who may or may not feel like passing it along. THis all creates a chaotic work environment full of uncertainty and a general feelings that some staff is an afterthought.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent and forthcoming. The fact that it is sometimes so hard to figure out what's going on makes it seem like you are hiding something. Put yourself in your employees shoes and get down to their level. People are telling you what is wrong and you aren't listening. Don't sweep concerns under teh rug.

Jun 29, 2017 – Human Resources Representative

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We hope to continue receiving views from all perspectives, and we value your input. It sounds like we’ve got the basic benefits and focus on... More