Salem International University Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

1.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Opportunity to help students"

Pros

My co-workers are great and the students make the job worthwhile.

Cons

Small company. Not a lot of advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

Promote from within.

2. "N/A"

Pros

Just don't, no communication whatsoever. Do your research on the for-profit college industry and the documentary college inc. You will see a lot of the similarities when it comes to how they want to enroll and recruit students. If you have any ethics or morals I would work for a public university. I'm glad that I am no longer part of this company and I wish I would've never.

Cons

Everything is wrong with this organization, I wouldn't recommend anyone going to school here or working here.

Advice to Management

Communicate better with other's within.

3. "Horrible Employer"

Pros

None. Zero. Nothing at all

Cons

This place is horrible! The president is a nitwit at best and gives preferential treatment to his "elitest" group of employees, including his incompetent wife.

Advice to Management

Fire Dan the dictator

"Anonymous"

Pros

Great programs, great faculty. Love my co-workers

Cons

Small campus does not appeal to everyone

"keep out keep away"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clarksburg, WV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clarksburg, WV

I worked at Salem International University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

zero pros to this institution, keep out and keep away! nothing about this place but lies and more misleading lies.

Cons

the president does not care about the school the workers or the students. he will state "get me another" when anyone has a suggestion that does not fit his plan to build the student body numbers up. the buildings are falling apart and i wouldnt send my child there even if they were offered a full scholarship!

Advice to Management

get rid of your president mr palmer and start over fresh with someone that can actually build you something to be proud to have within your corporation.

""You're Replaceable""

I worked at Salem International University (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers (if the right group comes along). That's about it.

Cons

- High employee turnover rate
    - No room for upper mobility
    - The PRESIDENT micromanages & skips his leadership team

Advice to Management

"You're easily replaceable." He always speaks of caring for students and yet he says, "Pull them off life support." Continuously scolds his employees because the "numbers" aren't there. He only congratulates when his "numbers" are met.

"Horrible"

I worked at Salem International University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Under the leadership of Dan Nelant: there are no pros. Even the nicest of folk working there don't compensate for the methods that person chooses to embrace.

Cons

Micromanagement to a degree I've never experienced: "The President" (yes, he calls himself that quite often), involves himself in apparently everything - top, down: even the hourly recruiters - skips all chains of leadership. And there are leaders, Nelant is merely a "boss," he doesn't lead anything: he dictates what he wants done.

Advice to Management

Mr. Palmer, you need to take a far closer look at where your money is going, terminate your former CFO (or as he likes to call himself now, "The President"), & look to an ACADEMIC leader for your school.

"Enjoy My Co-Workers"

I have been working at Salem International University full-time

Pros

Good work atmosphere
    Excellent schedule
    LOVE my co-workers

Cons

Benefits are horrible
    No opportunity for advancement

"Salem Int...Run, Don't look back."

Current Employee - Head Coach in Salem, WV
    Current Employee - Head Coach in Salem, WV

I have been working at Salem International University (More than 3 years)

Pros

School has a lot of potential, like a blank slate.

Cons

Current President is responsible for many of the problems the school is facing, first as CFO and now as President. He does not pay bills on time, so multiple vendors no longer work with the school, He drives out quality employees and surrounds himself with yes men, Micromanages all programs (you cannot buy a mouse pad without his signature), so there is no effective planning or budgeting. Favorite quotes are "I will walk you to the unemployment line", "my SIU" and "I know everything that happens at SIU".President believes he is an expert in everything, so he knows more than any employee, getting anything approved that is not his idea will fail no matter how necessary . AD is a yes man with zero integrity who surrounds himself with his friend network. Unfortunately all the potential is squandered because it will never be realized with current management (using that term loosely).

Advice to Management

The board needs to fire Dan and get a President that will actually help SIU into the future. Board needs to investigate numbers that they have been supplied with as they have been falsified. The accreditation board would also quickly find that there has been creative bookkeeping in their last report.

"Horrible Experience - Run Now the Opposite Direction"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Salem International University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learned everything I don't want out of an employer. Kind of like a bad abusive relationship.

Cons

Employees were treated like gum on the bottom of a shoe. Myself and others were reminded daily we could easily be replaced. No amount of diligent effort, suggestions for improved processes, remaining positive, seeing the bigger picture, sharing concerns, and knowing right from wrong changed anything. It is a big turn over mill. Don't plan to work there long because they don't care.

Training program stunk. Focus on sales, sales, and sales versus consultative/informative approach towards students enrolling in a school/ program that was truly the best fit for them. Should of ran for the hills much sooner. Too many red flags everywhere starting top down.

Advice to Management

Close your doors. I'm sure if an investigation occurred (bugs planted in management offices) people would be outraged. No value is placed on employess, operating with morality, and simply ruined a year of my life being there.