Salem Media Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Salem Media Group CEO and Director Edward G. Atsinger III
Edward G. Atsinger III

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Long hours for low pay is typical and absolute dedication is expected" (in 12 reviews)

• "No work life balance - you should be available to be contacted all the time" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great Environment & Great People"

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is the 3rd time I've worked at Salem Media Group. Each time I've been given opportunities to learn and grow with the company. You won't find a better group of people. They are uplifting and encourage excellence. Great benefits.

Cons

Not really a con for me, but it's a small group and upward mobility is a little limited to anyone that isn't really willing to work hard to grow. You must be willing to put forth a determined effort in order to be recognized for excelling as everyone is serving in a diverse set of responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Just continue setting high expectations and providing the amazing leadership I know you for.

2. "STILL a "Great Place to Work""

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camarillo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camarillo, CA

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salem is an exceptional company, period. Not only do the internal employees of our company benefit from this but we do so many wonderful things for the communities we serve. There is strong comradery at all levels, a desire to work hard and play hard. Our company has a true mind for business but solid heart for the team and those we help.

Cons

None to note at this time

Advice to Management

Keep staying relevant and in the big picture

"Encouraging and supportive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The managers encourage you to capitalize on your strengths and will contribute leads and do whatever is necessary to be encouraging and supportive.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunities or resources to help or learn from other team members. Pretty much left to managers. Not a lot of cohesiveness from what I have seen. But then I am kind of an island unto myself. That seems to be most peoples position.

Advice to Management

Perhaps more systems where individuals on the team can learn from each other. When deals come in I like to know to whom and how they were sold. Those stories help me learn. I feel like there is some talent in the room and we could learn more from each other's wins and losses. I got some benefit when a co-worker and I did calls together. But that was just a one-time thing that I had to instigate. There should maybe be more of that, or some more shadowing.

4. "Digital Marketing"

Current Employee - Marketing in Camarillo, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Camarillo, CA

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly, at least on the surface.

Cons

Worst health insurance I've ever had. My job responsibilities keep changing. Wasn't hired to be a salesperson, but now it's full-time sales with a list and prospecting.

5. "Great Starter Job but No Growth Opportunities"

I worked at Salem Media Group full-time

Pros

The company culture is really positive and coworkers are friendly and genuinely care about each other. Fun perks such as company parties, free snacks and coffee, and activities are offered. It's a great place to first get into the corporate world.

Cons

There is very little opportunity for growth in your career. A lot is expected for very little compensation, and while you may be given more tasks, it's difficult to actually get a promotion, both in position and compensation. There are also a lot of emails sent after normal work hours and on weekends and not much vacation time, so work life balance could be better.

Advice to Management

Realize that fun perks do not make up for lack of compensation and career advancement. People are willing to put time and effort in if they will be rewarded, but when it comes down to it very few people will stay committed if their time and effort is not being recognized in a tangible way. Annual reviews should be implemented and time off should be respected more.

Aug 8, 2018 – HR Department

Thank you for reviewing Salem Media Group. Salem works hard to make it employees feel welcomed and comfortable because we genuinely do care about the members of our Salem family! We are sorry to... More

6. "A place that feels like home"

Current Employee - Media Strategist in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Media Strategist in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've never worked in a place that goes out of its way to make me feel welcome and Salem Hawaii certainly does that. There is a great group of people here to learn from and everyone seems genuinely interested in seeing me succeed. I believe they understand that my success becomes everyone's success. I look forward to pass along my help to the next person that joins our family.

Cons

There is much to learn and so little time...that is about the only real complaint I have!

Aug 8, 2018 – HR Department

Thank you for reviewing Salem Media Group. Here at Salem we truly believe that our greatest assets are our employees and we always enjoy hearing when they are being treated as such. Building a book... More

7. "Digital Media Designer"

Current Employee - Digital Media Designer in Palm Desert, CA
    Current Employee - Digital Media Designer in Palm Desert, CA

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a temporary designer I've found Salem to be friendly, professional, and interesting.

Cons

Getting up a running on the intranet, email, time & attendance has been challenging, but IT has been helpful.

Advice to Management

Good job!

Aug 8, 2018 – HR Department

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you have found our IT department to be helpful and our employees friendly and professional! Salem is in the process of upgrading the Intranet... More

8. "Working For Salem"

Pros

It's a good radio job, the people are great

Cons

Benefits are terrible. If you want to make money in radio you have to do sales

Aug 8, 2018 – HR Department

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed those you worked with. As far as your statement regarding benefits, here at Salem we evaluate our broad and comprehensive benefits... More

9. "Account Manager"

I worked at Salem Media Group full-time

Pros

It truly was a family feel at the local station; people care about each other.

Cons

Poor leadership from the corporate level, down. No real strategy to increase revenue at the local station.

Advice to Management

Formulate a Strategic Planning Committee to plan out business activities a year or two in advance.

Aug 8, 2018 – HR Department

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you had a family feel at your station, especially since we like to think of Salem as one big family! As far as your comment regarding increasing... More

10. "Sales Drive"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Nashville, TN

I worked at Salem Media Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You will do fine as long as you hit your numbers.

Cons

The same, don't miss your budget.

Advice to Management

Talk to your people they have great ideas.

Aug 8, 2018 – HR Department

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the feedback and understand that building a book of business in sales can be challenging. While creating relationships and learning the local market does take... More