Salem Media Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Salem Media Group CEO and Director Edward G. Atsinger III
Edward G. Atsinger III

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours for low pay is typical and absolute dedication is expected (in 12 reviews)

• Pay is generally low for non-commission-based employees, especially considering the long hours necessary to meet company goals (in 9 reviews)

1. "I have worked here for 5 months and I am %100 percent satisfied."

Current Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Camarillo, CA
    Current Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Camarillo, CA

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great training program, Benefits, Friendly atmosphere.

Cons

You might gain weight from all of the food Salem feeds you.

2. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Supervisor in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Supervisor in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Staff has good work ethic. The tone of the workplace is a positive one. Nearly everybody is responsible and conscientious.

Cons

Pay is relatively low, so many people have second jobs which conflict.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. It's a challenging market place, but it's a good product and the majority of employees seem to be happy here.

Oct 18, 2017 – HR Department

Thank you for taking the time to review Salem Media Group. We are happy to hear about the positive environment in your location! We are aware of the comments about compensation and want to share... More

3. "great environment"

Pros

great company to work for with an extremely friendly environment
    learned the ins and outs of radio while working with many experienced professionals

Cons

not much room for growth

Oct 19, 2017 – HR Department

Thank you for taking the time to review Salem Media Group. We are happy to hear that you were able to develop your skills while being a member of our team and wish you luck in your next position... More

4. "Working with limited budgets but fun most of the time"

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The majority of the people are fantastic, fun and hard working. Flexible work hours. Good starter position

Cons

Little to no pay increase. Rigid structure. Working with very limited means. On the wrong side of the media bell curve.

Advice to Management

Trust your people. Stay engaged with them.

Oct 18, 2017 – HR Department

Fantastic, fun and hardworking are great adjectives to describe our Salem family and that is exactly why we call them our greatest assets. We want our employees to feel valued and heard, and our... More

5. "Sales/Marketing Consultant"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Salem Media Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Salem is one of the largest communications companies in the United States and has resources, training, and has both a national and local support team to ensure employee success. There are opportunities for advancement and since Salem owns radio stations throughout the United States relocation is always an option.

Cons

Many of the radio stations are religious broadcasting and although they have a loyal listenership businesses are hesitant to be associated with religion.

Advice to Management

Use the staff creativity more effectively and encourage collaboration and teamwork in all departments rather than competition and personal achievement.

Sep 20, 2017 – HR Department

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you feel supported as an employee and we definitely do want to ensure your success with Salem. Salem’s niche content whether radio, web or... More

6. "Great environment poor pay"

Former Employee - News Director in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - News Director in Dallas, TX

I worked at Salem Media Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Non-combative environment , job clearly defined. Meetings were well directed and on point. Promoting the station in the community was well planned and met community needs. Music was selected according to community standards.

The Newsroom was kept up to date with equipment that always worked.

Cons

Low pay. Didn't take into account the years of experience or journalism degree or ratings success at other stations, including major markets in addition to Dallas.

Advice to Management

Consider years of experience when salary decisions are made.

Sep 26, 2017 – HR Department

Thank you for taking the time to review Salem Media Group. Thank you for your feedback regarding the work place environment and our stations activity within their community. We are aware of reviews... More

"The Last Pro Broadcasting Company Standing"

Current Employee - On-Air Talk Radio Personality in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - On-Air Talk Radio Personality in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salem is run with a philosophy that was best described by President: Broadcast Media, Dave Santrella...."The money we make is the fuel for what we do....." Salem cares about every facet of Pro Broadcasting.....Product, Listeners, Advertisers, Earnings and The Work....I have never been so proud of an employer of mine.

Cons

They.....well.....OK.....I noticed you were going to ask me to rate "Career Opportunities" and "Compensation & Benefits." I'm not going to score them very high, because I have a non-standard situation here. This is not to transmit that they don't pay well or offer upward mobility. They just didn't offer those to me....

Advice to Management

Keep Being Perfect. Oh, and add more squares to the right of the "Work/Life Balance", "Senior Management" and "Career & Values" Ratings.....Thanks.

Aug 31, 2017 – HR Department

Thank you for review. We strive to be a company that our employees are proud to work for and we appreciate all that you do for Salem. You had mentioned that your situation is non-standard, as most... More

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Company to work for! UNITY! Our team works to make the dream work!

Cons

New office facility to execute client business .

Advice to Management

keep doing the great job you are doing!

Aug 31, 2017 – HR Department

Thank you for taking the time to review Salem Media Group. We are happy to have you as part of the team. Keep making the dream work!

"Just Sad"

I worked at Salem Media Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Having a job. Being able to impact an audience with a positive message.

Cons

The corporate structure of this company and the decisions of the top managers suggest there is no Christianity in the company. They treat people like they are cattle. It's ALL about bottom line dollars. The mission is a convenient thing they use to appeal to their audience....nothing more, nothing less.

Advice to Management

Treat your people better. Don't continue to have mass lay offs and dump even more work on fewer employees. Don't you realize this doesn't make your product better?

Sep 11, 2017 – HR Department

Thank you for your review. We want to start by saying that we truly value our employees and realize that they are the heart and soul of this company and we would be nowhere without them. While... More

"2017 Change in Salem"

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Great insurance.
    -Local leadership that truly cares.
    -Corporate leadership does not care about their employees and very disappointed in their actions that effect their employees. However, local leadership truly loves and values their employees.

Cons

-Corporate leadership does not care about their employees and very disappointed in their actions that are impacting hard working individuals dedicated to the success of this corporation. This has been relevant over the last two years.

Advice to Management

Local management cares and fights for their employers, but corporate leaders are ruthless in their decision making and what they believe is good for the company.
    I truly love my team and we work hard to just be more than numbers in the eyes.
    I believe if they were in the field and on site more often they would see the value in their employees and find a different way to make the company profitable.

Sep 11, 2017 – HR Department

Thank you for taking the time to review Salem Media Group. While we agree that local leadership truly does care for their team, the corporate side of Salem cares just as much and has always viewed... More