Salem Media Group Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Salem Media Group CEO and Director Edward G. Atsinger III
Edward G. Atsinger III

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • It's an overall positive work environment (in 27 reviews)

• Emphasis on a healthy work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours for low pay is typical and absolute dedication is expected (in 11 reviews)

• Pay is generally low for non-commission-based employees, especially considering the long hours necessary to meet company goals (in 9 reviews)

1. "Sales/Marketing Consultant"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Salem Media Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Salem is one of the largest communications companies in the United States and has resources, training, and has both a national and local support team to ensure employee success. There are opportunities for advancement and since Salem owns radio stations throughout the United States relocation is always an option.

Cons

Many of the radio stations are religious broadcasting and although they have a loyal listenership businesses are hesitant to be associated with religion.

Advice to Management

Use the staff creativity more effectively and encourage collaboration and teamwork in all departments rather than competition and personal achievement.

Sep 20, 2017 – HR Department

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you feel supported as an employee and we definitely do want to ensure your success with Salem. Salem’s niche content whether radio, web or... More

"The Last Pro Broadcasting Company Standing"

Current Employee - On-Air Talk Radio Personality in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - On-Air Talk Radio Personality in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salem is run with a philosophy that was best described by President: Broadcast Media, Dave Santrella...."The money we make is the fuel for what we do....." Salem cares about every facet of Pro Broadcasting.....Product, Listeners, Advertisers, Earnings and The Work....I have never been so proud of an employer of mine.

Cons

They.....well.....OK.....I noticed you were going to ask me to rate "Career Opportunities" and "Compensation & Benefits." I'm not going to score them very high, because I have a non-standard situation here. This is not to transmit that they don't pay well or offer upward mobility. They just didn't offer those to me....

Advice to Management

Keep Being Perfect. Oh, and add more squares to the right of the "Work/Life Balance", "Senior Management" and "Career & Values" Ratings.....Thanks.

Aug 31, 2017 – HR Department

Thank you for review. We strive to be a company that our employees are proud to work for and we appreciate all that you do for Salem. You had mentioned that your situation is non-standard, as most... More

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Company to work for! UNITY! Our team works to make the dream work!

Cons

New office facility to execute client business .

Advice to Management

keep doing the great job you are doing!

Aug 31, 2017 – HR Department

Thank you for taking the time to review Salem Media Group. We are happy to have you as part of the team. Keep making the dream work!

"2017 Change in Salem"

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Great insurance.
    -Local leadership that truly cares.
    -Corporate leadership does not care about their employees and very disappointed in their actions that effect their employees. However, local leadership truly loves and values their employees.

Cons

-Corporate leadership does not care about their employees and very disappointed in their actions that are impacting hard working individuals dedicated to the success of this corporation. This has been relevant over the last two years.

Advice to Management

Local management cares and fights for their employers, but corporate leaders are ruthless in their decision making and what they believe is good for the company.
    I truly love my team and we work hard to just be more than numbers in the eyes.
    I believe if they were in the field and on site more often they would see the value in their employees and find a different way to make the company profitable.

Sep 11, 2017 – HR Department

Thank you for taking the time to review Salem Media Group. While we agree that local leadership truly does care for their team, the corporate side of Salem cares just as much and has always viewed... More

"Just Sad"

I worked at Salem Media Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Having a job. Being able to impact an audience with a positive message.

Cons

The corporate structure of this company and the decisions of the top managers suggest there is no Christianity in the company. They treat people like they are cattle. It's ALL about bottom line dollars. The mission is a convenient thing they use to appeal to their audience....nothing more, nothing less.

Advice to Management

Treat your people better. Don't continue to have mass lay offs and dump even more work on fewer employees. Don't you realize this doesn't make your product better?

Sep 11, 2017 – HR Department

Thank you for your review. We want to start by saying that we truly value our employees and realize that they are the heart and soul of this company and we would be nowhere without them. While... More

"Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Web Developer in Henrico, VA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Henrico, VA

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Low stress environment, great family oriented culture, overall fun atmosphere, work is very challenging but yet rewarding and management shows appreciation for its hard workers.

Cons

Upward mobility very hard, promotions generally happen if someone either leaves the company or the position, can be a heavy workload with many responsibilities placed on one individual.

Aug 16, 2017 – HR Department

Thank you for your review. First off we find it amazing that you enjoy your career with Salem enough to include “Great Place to Work” in the title of your review. We strive to create an atmosphere... More

"Great Company!"

I worked at Salem Media Group full-time

Pros

Great vision, team-oriented, values company.

Cons

I don't have any cons.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Aug 11, 2017 – HR Department

Thanks for taking the time to review Salem. Thank you for all your hard work.

8. "Hypocrites"

Current Employee - Accounting Specialist in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Accounting Specialist in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If your a liar and lack management skills, this is the place for you

Cons

Old boys club atmosphere, management doesn't know what they are doing and won't leave as they have been there sucking out all the profit from all the great workers that are there and know what they are doing.

Advice to Management

Retire

Sep 11, 2017 – HR Department

Thank you for your review. Sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction with management. We believe this is something that should be addressed. Step 1 would be to speak directly with the local general... More

"Company is very greedy. Not as Christian as they would like you to believe."

I worked at Salem Media Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None, nada, zip, zilch, and any other words you can say to imply this is not a good place to work.

Cons

Money dictates how people are treated. They want creativity on an assembly line. They are the iHeart of Christian radio.

Advice to Management

Get to know the employees in the markets. We are more than numbers on a piece of paper.

"Out-dated management. Lost Innovation"

Current Employee - Promotions Assistant in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Promotions Assistant in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

it is a job you can have as long as you want it.

Cons

Management lacks inspiration. Corporate lacks heart. There is no room for innovation or creativity outside of the box of what is normal and comfortable for upper management. Also limited by sales team.

Advice to Management

Fire those that refuse to grow. Hire new minds and invite new ideas.

Sep 11, 2017 – HR Department

Thank you for your review. We at Salem always welcome new ideas on how to become a better company both for our employees as well our consumers. Feel free to contact the corporate HR department if... More