Salem Media Group Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Salem Media Group CEO and Director Edward G. Atsinger III
Edward G. Atsinger III

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • It's an overall positive work environment (in 27 reviews)

• Emphasis on a healthy work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours for low pay is typical and absolute dedication is expected (in 11 reviews)

• Pay is generally low for non-commission-based employees, especially considering the long hours necessary to meet company goals (in 9 reviews)

"Just Sad"

I worked at Salem Media Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Having a job. Being able to impact an audience with a positive message.

Cons

The corporate structure of this company and the decisions of the top managers suggest there is no Christianity in the company. They treat people like they are cattle. It's ALL about bottom line dollars. The mission is a convenient thing they use to appeal to their audience....nothing more, nothing less.

Advice to Management

Treat your people better. Don't continue to have mass lay offs and dump even more work on fewer employees. Don't you realize this doesn't make your product better?

Sep 11, 2017 – HR Department

Thank you for your review. We want to start by saying that we truly value our employees and realize that they are the heart and soul of this company and we would be nowhere without them. While... More

2. "Account Executive/Marketing Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I worked at Salem Media Group full-time

Pros

Staff is very friendly.

Cons

Pay is not competitive and is way lower than what the cost of living in Los Angeles reflects. You are not given a book of business and are responsibility for creating all of your own leads and developing all new business which is very challenging to do working for a Christian/Conservative organization in a liberal city like Los Angeles. The prices for assets are higher than competitors which also makes it difficult to close sales. You do not inherit any accounts so you won't see commissions until about a year or more after working here.

Advice to Management

I wouldn't even know where to start. Be honest about the pros and cons of the positions during the interview process. Give new AE's accounts to allow them to have a shot at making commissions.

Aug 21, 2017 – HR Department

Thank you for your review of Salem Media Group. We understand that building a book of business in sales can be challenging. We have shared your concerns with local management regarding sharing the... More

3. "Upper Management"

I worked at Salem Media Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most of the employees are there because they want to have a positive impact on their communities.

Cons

The C-Level and Sr. Management are only focused on the bottomline and they have very little regard for the individual employees. Wages are below industry standards and there is little opportunity for financial growth in the company once you come aboard. Yearly increases are typically cost of living only and that's if you get any.

Advice to Management

Care about the people who work for you and not just where your stock price is at the moment.

Jun 21, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear about your negative experience with Salem. After doing extensive evaluation of our packages in comparison to other employers in our area as well as... More

4. "thanks for nothing"

Current Employee - Digital Media Producer in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Digital Media Producer in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

general employment is the only pro

Cons

unfair wages, unfair treatment of workers regarding lunch, and earned breaks, fair labor issues

Advice to Management

you only get out of it what into it folks

Sep 15, 2016 – Human Resources

We are sorry to hear your concerns about unfair wages, breaks, and treatment. Please reach out to Human Resources at 805-233-3129, so that your concerns could be investigated. Thank you.

5. "A year and a half here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camarillo, CA

I worked at Salem Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was able to do a few fun jobs outside the scope of my job description, like doing some voice work on a few radio commercials.

Cons

The station management isn't great and there is not a lot of room for growth. Radio is struggling in the internet age, especially AM Talk stations.

Advice to Management

The lifestyle complaints I heard from management were so out of touch with the lifestyle of us "average joes" at the station - it's hard to hear complaints about how a person in upper management owns two houses when most of us are driving ancient cars and renting single rooms.

Apr 11, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry you feel radio is struggling in the internet age and that there was no room for growth. Each market and station is different, and given that we do not... More

"You're better off somewhere else"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time

Pros

A good place to start out and learn the business

Cons

Micro-management is part of the culture, and people will constantly look over your shoulder. Compensation is far below market rate and benefits, like PTO, are a joke compared to what you could get else where.

Some people are hardcore nationalists and things like copies of the Constitution and pictures of the bald eagle are everywhere. Your office will more than likely have some intellectually numb individuals openly supporting Trump for President. Make America Racist Again.

Advice to Management

In need of a cultural overhaul. Stop treating your employees like children. People don't stay very long and management needs to realize it costs more to replace someone than to keep them. Raises are laughable.

"Traffic"

Former Employee - Broadcast Traffic Director in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Broadcast Traffic Director in Portland, OR

I worked at Salem Media Group (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible when you need to leave early or come late.

Cons

Not competitive pay. It takes a lot for someone to get fired, no real discipline. No reviews and no chances for raises.

Dec 23, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review of Salem Media Group.
    It’s unfortunate that you feel there are no opportunities for reviews and raises as we do encourage annual employee performance and salary reviews... More

"No strategy"

I worked at Salem Media Group full-time

Pros

Autonomy work from home some nice people

Cons

Incompetent management- systems structure poor

9. "Promotions"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camarillo, CA

I worked at Salem Media Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

culture and company values are deeply rooted however sometimes local management's philosophy can contradict corporate leadership style and vision

Cons

limited budget and small staff required to wear many hats on salaried pay. compensation is low for amount of responsibilities. Revolving door in certain department due to lack of true leadership or mentors.

Advice to Management

less micromanagement and empower staff with better resources to perform job

10. "High expectations, low compensation"

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Positive work environment depending on department and people. Caring people. Established company. Decent benefits for full time employees.

Cons

Low pay. Incompetent and ineffective leadership. Too much red tape. Ineffective based on level of resources. High turnover.

Advice to Management

Increase pay structures for most jobs/responsibilities. Promote from within. Mentor programs for employee development. Hire competent and qualified managers. Thing about more than just the bottom line. Spend wisely on all levels of the company.