Salem Media Group Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Salem Media Group CEO and Director Edward G. Atsinger III
Edward G. Atsinger III

Pros
  • I work for Townhall Media and I can say that it is a wonderful work environment (in 26 reviews)

• Great management, co-workers are like family and good work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours for low pay is typical and absolute dedication is expected (in 9 reviews)

• compensation is low for amount of responsibilities (in 4 reviews)

1. "thanks for nothing"

Current Employee - Digital Media Producer in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Digital Media Producer in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

general employment is the only pro

Cons

unfair wages, unfair treatment of workers regarding lunch, and earned breaks, fair labor issues

Advice to Management

you only get out of it what into it folks

Sep 15, 2016 – Human Resources

We are sorry to hear your concerns about unfair wages, breaks, and treatment. Please reach out to Human Resources at 805-233-3129, so that your concerns could be investigated. Thank you.

2. "A year and a half here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camarillo, CA

I worked at Salem Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was able to do a few fun jobs outside the scope of my job description, like doing some voice work on a few radio commercials.

Cons

The station management isn't great and there is not a lot of room for growth. Radio is struggling in the internet age, especially AM Talk stations.

Advice to Management

The lifestyle complaints I heard from management were so out of touch with the lifestyle of us "average joes" at the station - it's hard to hear complaints about how a person in upper management owns two houses when most of us are driving ancient cars and renting single rooms.

Apr 11, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry you feel radio is struggling in the internet age and that there was no room for growth. Each market and station is different, and given that we do not ... More

"You're better off somewhere else"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time

Pros

A good place to start out and learn the business

Cons

Micro-management is part of the culture, and people will constantly look over your shoulder. Compensation is far below market rate and benefits, like PTO, are a joke compared to what you could get else where.

Some people are hardcore nationalists and things like copies of the Constitution and pictures of the bald eagle are everywhere. Your office will more than likely have some intellectually numb individuals openly supporting Trump for President. Make America Racist Again.

Advice to Management

In need of a cultural overhaul. Stop treating your employees like children. People don't stay very long and management needs to realize it costs more to replace someone than to keep them. Raises are laughable.

"Traffic"

Former Employee - Broadcast Traffic Director in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Broadcast Traffic Director in Portland, OR

I worked at Salem Media Group (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible when you need to leave early or come late.

Cons

Not competitive pay. It takes a lot for someone to get fired, no real discipline. No reviews and no chances for raises.

Dec 23, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review of Salem Media Group. It’s unfortunate that you feel there are no opportunities for reviews and raises as we do encourage annual employee performance and salary reviews ... More

"No strategy"

I worked at Salem Media Group full-time

Pros

Autonomy work from home some nice people

Cons

Incompetent management- systems structure poor

7. "Promotions"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camarillo, CA

I worked at Salem Media Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

culture and company values are deeply rooted however sometimes local management's philosophy can contradict corporate leadership style and vision

Cons

limited budget and small staff required to wear many hats on salaried pay. compensation is low for amount of responsibilities. Revolving door in certain department due to lack of true leadership or mentors.

Advice to Management

less micromanagement and empower staff with better resources to perform job

8. "High expectations, low compensation"

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Positive work environment depending on department and people. Caring people. Established company. Decent benefits for full time employees.

Cons

Low pay. Incompetent and ineffective leadership. Too much red tape. Ineffective based on level of resources. High turnover.

Advice to Management

Increase pay structures for most jobs/responsibilities. Promote from within. Mentor programs for employee development. Hire competent and qualified managers. Thing about more than just the bottom line. Spend wisely on all levels of the company.

9. "Satisfaction depends on location"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Perks of any radio station....tickets to concerts, books, cds. No micro-management.

Cons

BIG lack of communication in this location. Problems are never solved, employees are just expected to "deal with it." The hardest working and most loyal employees are not valued or appreciated. The better you are at your job, the less likely that you'll be able to move to a different position. Pay is okay, but raises do not keep up with cost of living. There are no annual reviews. Again, very little communication which leads to confusion and problems.

Advice to Management

Conduct employee reviews, at least annually. Pay people what they are worth. Let them know how much they are appreciated, especially when they go out of their way and work extra hours to make things happen for the good of the company.

10. "I believe Salem cares more about Salem, than the people that work for them."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many of the people who work here are wonderful. I am thankful to have a job.

Cons

I it is my opinion that there are some unethical practices that are tolerated here. The company calls themselves a Christian company and does not hold to what that standard should mean. It seems there is an atmosphere of getting by on the cheap rather than doing what is right, or needed. Sorry. Just not a lot of respect for what I have seen.

Advice to Management

Do what's right, even if it costs a little more, or is a little tougher. I have seen unethical, NOT illegal, unethical business practices. I strongly disagree with them.

11. "Beware- They aren't who you think they are...."

Current Employee - Office in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Office in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive Salary, good Benefits Package, Christian format, located away from the congestion of the big city.

Cons

Very tight with raises, expect to work long hours, the Christian ideology doesn't balance with the capitalist nature of this business. If you're looking to do God's work... just remember this is a "for profit" business.

Advice to Management

Quit writing phony Glassdoor reviews to attract employees... and share some of the company profits with your employees. After all you had them take pay cuts during hard times.