Salem Media Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 27, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Salem Media Group CEO and Director Edward G. Atsinger III
Edward G. Atsinger III

Pros
  • It's an overall positive work environment (in 32 reviews)

• Emphasis on a healthy work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours for low pay is typical and absolute dedication is expected (in 10 reviews)

• Long hours and long weekends with promotions and events that took a toll mentally (in 9 reviews)

1. "Christian Themed Organization"

Former Employee - Broadcast Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Broadcast Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Salem Media Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salem Media Group is a Christian themed company that focuses on the needs of a like minded audience. The work environment is friendly, but typical of most business organizations. This is a great company to get your initial training in the media business.

Cons

The Christian theme doesn't always translate into the business side of the operation. Long hours for low pay is typical and absolute dedication is expected. The company is political and favors a republican agenda over Christian values. I did not see a strong effort for racial inclusiveness nor did I see ethnic variety.

Advice to Management

Back off on the political favoritism and get back to Jesus.

2. "Pays Not Great But Looks Good on Resume"

Former Employee - Board Operator in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Board Operator in Glendale, CA

I worked at Salem Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to work in a generally laid back environment and encounter a lot of interesting characters and radio hosts. Generally looks good on resume.

Cons

Won't get paid well or promoted. Management did not foster talent or seem to care about employees as individuals. Weird hours and they expect you to work your personal life around their emergencies and bad planning.

Advice to Management

Give incentives to do good work, promote from within, create opportunity

3. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Salem Media Group (More than a year)

Pros

This company had generally great products and resources to help market local businesses. The local staff was also very ethical and all were true assets to the company. It was an enjoyable experience working here.

Cons

In my particular market - (San Antonio) we were unfortunately the smallest of the radio stations. Therefore, it was hard to sell a potential client on the idea of doing business with us to help market them when they didn't even know who we were.

Advice to Management

Provide a little marketing of your local stations... At the very least, the absolute basics would likely allow the group to have enough recognition in the market to at least be considered by more potential businesses.

Salem Media Group Response

Oct 22, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your insight and have shared your marketing concerns with the local market to see if it is possible to address.

5. "Okay."

Current Employee - Account Executive in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Portland, OR

Pros

Commission structure seemed fair at the time.

Cons

Division of accounts among AE's could have been more fair.

6. "Art Director - Graphic Designer"

Former Employee - Art Director - Graphic Designer in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Art Director - Graphic Designer in Nashville, TN

I worked at Salem Media Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Freedom to do creative design work and management didn't micro manage.

Cons

Work environment or office culture was boring or dull. Not much interaction between employees.

Advice to Management

More cross training opportunities and open up the work environment for more involvement between employees.

7. "10 years working here but no considerations to unpaid overtime or energy involved in work."

Current Employee - Traffic Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Traffic Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Feel that I'm doing a good job and the company really cares about its mission.

Cons

local leadership is somewhat suspect. work-life balance not always considered.

Advice to Management

I really don't feel that corporate (or even regional) really knows what happens at the local level; all they see is $.

"Christian Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits (medical, dental, vision, 401k) are all available. It's a web based company so you are able to work remotely and some positions offer travel. Donuts and other treats are offered often from the company or sales.

Cons

Compensation is low and you have to ask for a raise. if you do get a raise it is months after you asked for it. Do not receive 3 weeks vacation until your 6th completed year working there.

Advice to Management

Vacation time needs to be reviewed.
    Reward your hard working employees with yearly raises and have more promotion opportunities.
    A lot of employees have left the company for better paying jobs elsewhere. That should be a wake up call.

"Stable environment but not open to new ideas"

Current Employee - Traffic Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Traffic Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is a friendly, conservative, moral workplace. Co-workers are pleasant and team players. Very little in-office pressure and no micro-managing. Everyone has a great work ethic. Flexibility for time off when issues arise.

Cons

Compensation is low end and unless you are top management you make very little in comparison to other companies. There is some opportunity to advance within your own department but very little chance to be creative and think outside the box. Upper management is very old school in the way they think and approach new ideas. Also the bottom line is always to save money. So often employees are asked to do more and more with no additional compensation. You often get the feeling that the mentality is "you are lucky to have a job. So be thankful"

Advice to Management

Be willing to be forward thinking and trust your employees to get the job done. Listen to creative ideas and help employees to help themselves.

"Fun and challenging opportunity to help make an impact in God's kingdom."

Current Employee - Account Executive in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

No micro-managing. I have a great deal of freedom in my work. I can travel as much as my business warrants and am encouraged to do so. My manager is fairly proactive in helping to me to keep striving for success. I have been given the opportunity to give constructive feedback on some sales contests and on some processes. The folks I work with and for are just good people ands our office environment is very positive and fun.

Cons

The level of experience they want out of the sales people is not commensurate with the base pay. Most account executives in the digital space have base pay in the $45K - $60K range with commission on top of that. Our base pay of $35K is too low for the strength of sellers that they have and want to recruit. This is REALLY my main con.

Advice to Management

Consider structuring the sales teams so that the managers are truly incentivized to manage and don't have to rely on personal production to pay their bills. Raise the base pay/salary for sellers.

"Good company to work for with an outstanding work environment and opportunity for growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The office culture is welcoming and there are opportunities to grow and continue to learn. Benefits package is good and there flexibility with your schedules.

Cons

Salaries are low. Raises are non-existent unless they are requested by the employee. No annual reviews and the raises are not competitive or close to matching the cost of living.

Advice to Management

Implement a system for employees to be compensated accordingly and in a yearly basis.