Salem Media Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 13, 2017

Salem Media Group CEO and Director Edward G. Atsinger III
Edward G. Atsinger III

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people and a great positive work environment (in 29 reviews)

• Emphasis on a healthy work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours for low pay is typical and absolute dedication is expected (in 12 reviews)

• Pay is generally low for non-commission-based employees, especially considering the long hours necessary to meet company goals (in 9 reviews)

1. "Working with limited budgets but fun most of the time"

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The majority of the people are fantastic, fun and hard working. Flexible work hours. Good starter position

Cons

Little to no pay increase. Rigid structure. Working with very limited means. On the wrong side of the media bell curve.

Advice to Management

Trust your people. Stay engaged with them.

Oct 18, 2017 – HR Department

Fantastic, fun and hardworking are great adjectives to describe our Salem family and that is exactly why we call them our greatest assets. We want our employees to feel valued and heard, and our... More

2. "Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Salem Media Group as an intern

Pros

Good experience with learning to copy edit

Cons

More work than can be done in an 8 hour day

Advice to Management

Add some more copy editors to help lessen the workload

"2017 Change in Salem"

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Great insurance.
    -Local leadership that truly cares.
    -Corporate leadership does not care about their employees and very disappointed in their actions that effect their employees. However, local leadership truly loves and values their employees.

Cons

-Corporate leadership does not care about their employees and very disappointed in their actions that are impacting hard working individuals dedicated to the success of this corporation. This has been relevant over the last two years.

Advice to Management

Local management cares and fights for their employers, but corporate leaders are ruthless in their decision making and what they believe is good for the company.
    I truly love my team and we work hard to just be more than numbers in the eyes.
    I believe if they were in the field and on site more often they would see the value in their employees and find a different way to make the company profitable.

Sep 11, 2017 – HR Department

Thank you for taking the time to review Salem Media Group. While we agree that local leadership truly does care for their team, the corporate side of Salem cares just as much and has always viewed... More

4. "Good start"

Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer
    Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

I worked at Salem Media Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people and atmosphere. I would consider working here again as a full time worker.

Cons

None that I could think of, except for better benefits

"Great Company - Little Pay"

I worked at Salem Media Group full-time

Pros

People are nice and very welcoming.

Cons

A lot of work for little pay, no opportunities to move up.

Feb 15, 2017 – HR Director

We are sorry to hear you didn't feel the pay was appropriate for the job you were doing... We would love to discuss with you, if you would contact us at 805-233-3129.

6. "Christian Themed Organization"

Former Employee - Broadcast Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Broadcast Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Salem Media Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salem Media Group is a Christian themed company that focuses on the needs of a like minded audience. The work environment is friendly, but typical of most business organizations. This is a great company to get your initial training in the media business.

Cons

The Christian theme doesn't always translate into the business side of the operation. Long hours for low pay is typical and absolute dedication is expected. The company is political and favors a republican agenda over Christian values. I did not see a strong effort for racial inclusiveness nor did I see ethnic variety.

Advice to Management

Back off on the political favoritism and get back to Jesus.

7. "Radio employee"

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Compared to the rest of the radio industry, if you show up and do your job you will be able to stay for awhile.

Cons

With the core business a bunch of am talkers, the music stations suffer from lack of purpose and mission other than to make money. Lots of the sellers don't understand the core values and difference between the political stations and the music stations. Too many ad buys are one size fits all.

Advice to Management

Take some time to better define purpose for your local management other than to make this months budget. Find a way to value your employees. Discourage short term thinking and recognize the value of long term goals and success.

Aug 2, 2016 – Human Resources

We are sorry that you feel the music stations suffer from lack of purpose and mission. We encourage all of our employees, including management, to hold tight to Salem’s core values. Your advice to... More

8. "Average Everything"

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The CEO and VP level employees are amazing. They believe in the company and are supportive of their employees.

Cons

Weak and Scattered Leadership at mid-level. There is high employee turnover. You will be paid more if you leave and then return. Problems are often ignored completely.

Advice to Management

Align your gratitude with compensation. Don't lie to your employees. Stop pretending like everything is awesome when so many people are frustrated to the point of leaving your company.

Aug 8, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review. Would you please either reach out to your VP or to Corporate Human Resources at 805-233-3129 so that we can discuss your concerns? Thank you.

9. "Pays Not Great But Looks Good on Resume"

Former Employee - Board Operator in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Board Operator in Glendale, CA

I worked at Salem Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to work in a generally laid back environment and encounter a lot of interesting characters and radio hosts. Generally looks good on resume.

Cons

Won't get paid well or promoted. Management did not foster talent or seem to care about employees as individuals. Weird hours and they expect you to work your personal life around their emergencies and bad planning.

Advice to Management

Give incentives to do good work, promote from within, create opportunity

10. "Decent/But Nothing To Get Excited About"

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time

Pros

Family type of atmosphere, most people are nice, and a good niche radio format for the business

Cons

Too much competition from traditional and digital media, unknown, no subscription to Nielsen's Ratings, compensation is low and not attractive. In order to sale, you have to make your compensation very lucrative for your sales team.

Advice to Management

Seem a little outdated, needs more diversity, too conservative.

Apr 26, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review.