Salem Media Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Salem Media Group Reviews

Updated May 15, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • It's an overall positive work environment (in 32 reviews)

• Emphasis on a healthy work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours for low pay is typical and absolute dedication is expected (in 10 reviews)

• Long hours and long weekends with promotions and events that took a toll mentally (in 9 reviews)

"Accounts Receivable Clerk"

Current Employee - Accounts Receivable in Camarillo, CA
    Current Employee - Accounts Receivable in Camarillo, CA

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I feel that I am so blessed to have received a position at Salem Media Group. I have never been as happy to come to work each day with any other job. Everyone I work with has such a positive attitude and respects each other. Even those I don't work directly with are so friendly. What a blessing!!

Cons

I can't think of any cons.

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on!

"Senior Account Manager"

Former Employee - Promotions and Marketing Director in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Promotions and Marketing Director in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Salem Media Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I spent 18 year with Salem - best ever

Cons

They now expect their sales people to mature too quickly - it takes a year to really understand the job

Advice to Management

Want to be profitable? Seek first the kingdom of God!

"Integrated Marketing Consultant"

Current Employee - Integrated Marketing Consultant(Sales) in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Integrated Marketing Consultant(Sales) in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Salem Media Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Upon researching the company, it sounded like a wonderful place to work. Now that I'm here, it's confirmed! Kind, friendly people who genuinely care about you. I was referred by a current employee, then went through the interview process, which consisted of three meetings, including a mock presentation to the two General Sales Managers. The whole process took about three weeks. Still finding out details of all the benefits: health, dental, vision, 401K, Life Insurance, etc., but what I've heard so far, it all sounds pretty usual for a company this size.

Cons

Only been here a few days, but I can't imagine what any negatives would be. Everyone has bent over backwards to take god care of me and make me feel welcome.

Advice to Management

Thank you for being so available and accessible, and for giving me the opportunity to join this fantastic organization!

Feb 15, 2017 – HR Director

Welcome aboard!

"90 Days Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camarillo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camarillo, CA

I have been working at Salem Media Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Usually within 3 months at a new job, you start seeing the cracks and dark underbelly of a workplace. Not here. I still stand on my belief that Salem is a great company to work for. Since I work at the corporate office, I see the daily efforts made by HR and management to nurture positive employee well-being and motivation through recognition and generosity. It's a pleasure coming into work everyday because everyone on my team treats each other with respect and appreciation.

Cons

Still none so far except for too many opportunities to pack on the pounds due to monthly birthday celebrations, potlucks, "bake-offs," holiday luncheons, etc.

"Strategic Digital Consultant"

Current Employee - Strategic Digital Consultant in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Strategic Digital Consultant in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked for Salem Media previously about 10 years ago. I left for another opportunity, but realize I should've stayed with Salem instead. It is a great company, with strong Christian values and great business acumen. I am very glad to be back on the team!

Cons

It is a relatively high pressure sales environment, but is not unlike other broadcast companies in that regard. Other than budgets to meet and pressure to perform, I know of no other negatives.

Advice to Management

You have an amazing company with a great deal of talent in your management team. Keep doing what you're doing!

"Just started, and things look bright"

Current Employee - Board Operator in Rosslyn, VA
    Current Employee - Board Operator in Rosslyn, VA

Pros

The company management seems top notch. They made me feel like an important part of the team.

Cons

Haven't experienced any cons, thus far.

8. "Christian Themed Organization"

Former Employee - Broadcast Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Broadcast Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Salem Media Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salem Media Group is a Christian themed company that focuses on the needs of a like minded audience. The work environment is friendly, but typical of most business organizations. This is a great company to get your initial training in the media business.

Cons

The Christian theme doesn't always translate into the business side of the operation. Long hours for low pay is typical and absolute dedication is expected. The company is political and favors a republican agenda over Christian values. I did not see a strong effort for racial inclusiveness nor did I see ethnic variety.

Advice to Management

Back off on the political favoritism and get back to Jesus.

"Professional Team Players"

Current Employee - Producer in Camarillo, CA
    Current Employee - Producer in Camarillo, CA

Pros

I like working for this Christian organization. I'm accomplishing something greater than just working for a paycheck. My supervisors and team have been a great encouragement to me, and I couldn't ask for more.

Cons

No complaints. Salem's a fantastic organization.

Advice to Management

Just stay the course.

Oct 28, 2016 – HR Director

Thank you for your comments. Glad you are enjoying working here.

"Account Executive - worst media company I've ever worked for"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Nashville, TN

I worked at Salem Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good, on going sales training. Christian station with ties to many worthwhile ministries and Christian Chamber of Commerce. Some very nice people work there.

Cons

Management very short sighted in planning and only cares about selling to make their month. Doesn't prioritize goals and they change from week to week. Lots of meetings and micro-management; very little administrative support. Huge sales turnover with senior reps holding all the billing accounts. Lots of politics and favoritism; poor communication between departments. Lots of non paid additional work hours staffing Discount Shopping Club and station events. No work life balance. Poor pay.

Advice to Management

Management too heavy and uncertain what most of them do besides have meetings and get on sales for not making the month. Pay attention to why sales turnover is so high and take responsibility for so many people that "weren't the right fit" even though most of them have been very successful before and after Salem.

Feb 15, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for your comments and advice. We would welcome an opportunity to hear more from you, if you would call 805-233-3129.

"Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - National Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - National Sales Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Salem Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salem NY has a great staff and effective, supportive management. It's an overall positive work environment.
    Salem NY offers employees relevant, well-rounded experience and room for advancement.

Cons

It's a small staff and everyone wears a lot of hats. If you're looking for a very pigeon holed specific job description, this is not a great fit for you!

Sep 28, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review of Salem Media Group. It’s great to hear that things in New York are going very well. We are happy to know that you have an overall positive work enviroment! Thank you.