KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Salem Media Group

Is this your company?

Salem Media Group

Add a Review

Salem Media Group Employee Reviews about "christian"

Updated Nov 16, 2020

Found 60 of over 537 reviews

4.4
Salem Media Group CEO and Director Edward G. Atsinger III
Edward G. Atsinger III
Pros
  • "Being a Christian and a Conservative is not something that needs to be hidden in this media company(in 38 reviews)

• "Support teams from every department makes for a smooth transition into a new work environment(in 36 reviews)

• Cons
  • "He said that I should not expect to be paid what my skills are worth in the Christian media space(in 27 reviews)

• "Low pay, practice of giving unfair preferential treatment for some employees(in 14 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Salem Media Group and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "christian"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great Job While in College

Nov 16, 2020 - Promotions Assistant in Sierra Madre, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible, Christian, Interactive, Fun, Independant

Cons

Hard Work, Long Commute, Poor Communication at Times

2. 4.0
      Former Employee

Great Company that Could be Better

Mar 17, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

They have a great mission. Many of their managers and employee are terrific people that are friendly and helpful. I am personally a big fan of their content and was a listener and consumer of their content before I became an employee.

Cons

There does not appear to be opportunities for promotion and advancement. I got the sense that raises don't come easily, and one can quickly get stagnant, and get stuck in the same position for a long time with no opportunities to be promoted. I did not see a lot of opportunities for professional development as they offer in some companies. The company needs to establish a more formal onboarding process across all departments so that employees are adequately assimilated and given the tools and equipping needed to be successful from day one. The mentoring of employees needs to be more structured and formalized. Those with supervisorial responsibility should be trained on how to be good mentors to those they supervise. I also noticed that Salem sometimes shows a lack of discernment on the Christian Teaching and Talk side when it sells airtime to preachers who are not always doctrinally sound. While I understand that pragmatism comes with the territory when you are a for-profit business, they must realize that their lack of discernment might end up hurting them with their core evangelical audience. They might lose listeners who will turn to podcasts of doctrinally sound preachers. Salem is also late to the digital advertising game, and they are way behind when it comes to offering podcast content. They have Townhall Review and the Christian Outlook, but that is only two podcasts! Other companies have many more. Salem needs more podcast content or it will be left in the dust.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Wonderful company!

Nov 19, 2019 - Senior Media Strategist in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Being a Christian and a Conservative is not something that needs to be hidden in this media company!

Cons

None that I know of.

Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Glassdoor. We appreciate your input and are thrilled to have you on our team.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Going on 8 & Still Beyond Great!

Sep 6, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

New Media leadership. The people. Common respect among all employees. Great location. Christian, uplifting and open environment. Open door policy. Growth and change in industry.

Cons

Nothing glaring that I can say. No position or company is perfect but this comes close.

Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Glassdoor. We are thrilled to have you as part of our Salem family. Keep up the great work!

5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Pay 'em low and let 'em go

Aug 13, 2019 - Editor in Richmond, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are truly great here.

Cons

I worked at Salem Web Network 5 years. Unfortunately, I probably stayed about 3 years too long. Salem is great for somethings – primarily the people and the culture that they once had. They tend to hire people right out of college or very young in their careers (except at the management level). Salem gets young, smart, talented individuals, and pays them far below industry average. Many leave after a year or two to move on to something that pays better. Their motto seems to be, “Pay ‘em low and let ‘em go.” What kept me there for so long was being told time and time again, “You get more content on the site than anyone on the team. You’re next in line to be promoted.” Unfortunately, I believed in that carrot dangling in front of me and kept at it – always giving 100%. I asked many times, “What can I do to improve and stay on a track to be promoted.” Each time the response from management was, “Nothing. Do everything you are doing now and it will come.” After years of waiting, when a senior position finally did open up, it was not advertised, and another person filled it from another team. At one point I was offered a new job at Salem but it was to the benefit of the organization, not to me. They needed someone to do exactly what I did on another site. It was made very clear to me that it was not a promotion and pay would be the same. Always interested in learning new skills, I asked, “What will I learn in this position?” I was told I would learn nothing. I pressed, “Could I learn more about SEO? Can I be a part of marketing efforts for the site?” I was told no. Those things would be handled without me. I turned that job down. It was simply offered because as the most senior member of the team, I would require no training to do the job. I was the path of least resistance. Upper management constantly told us, “More content, more content, more content.” Of course, we were not paid any more for the additional content we were supposed to produce. It was just assumed we could do more with fewer resources. This became especially true when the company went through layoffs in April 2018. My team was cut from 9 to 7 people. The team absorbed those jobs while still being told to do more, more, more. Any outlets for creativity went out the door altogether. They chose quantity over quality which made my confidence in the organization fade completely. Another major concern are major pay discrepancies same roles in the organization. In my team, I was on the low-to-middle end, but a co-worker with the same position made $6,000 more annually. At one point on the team, there was a $14,000 discrepancy between the highest and lowest paid on the team – all at the same level in the same role. We all had the same education level and experience. But that discrepancy reflected how cheaply Salem was able to get the individual at hire. I left feeling undervalued and frustrated that when I did respectfully voice my opinion (after being begged by management to share my thoughts), I was called into a meeting where I was chastised by the Vice President. He said that I should not expect to be paid what my skills are worth in the Christian media space. Finally, I think the best representation of the little value Salem places on employees is this: The security code on the building hasn’t been changed since it was installed 6 years ago, despite people being fired and a mass layoff of 10 people. In November 2018, someone came into the building during the day and stole a co-worker’s wallet. The code still wasn’t changed. I inquired about this with HR in my departure meeting because it is a safety issue and needs to be addressed. It is unclear who in management was supposed to have the master key to be able to reprogram the code, but it was misplaced. That is disgraceful. They were supposedly in the process of having someone in to do this but were getting the runaround from the company. Here’s the deal. This is security issue in today’s day and age. I don’t care if you have to replace the whole door. You get someone in immediately to fix that in order to keep your employees safe. The fact that it STILL hasn’t been changed shows how little Salem actually cares about their people. TL;DR: If you’re straight out of college and need experience, take the job. But don’t make my mistake and overstay. Get your experience and get out.

2 people found this review helpful

Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Glassdoor. We wish you the best.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Salem's Mission is What Makes Us A Great PLace to Work!

May 18, 2018 - Vice President in Camarillo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Providing family themed and Christian content makes a BIG difference in the lives of millions of people - that's what makes what we do so rewarding!

Cons

There are no cons that I can think of...

2 people found this review helpful

HR Department

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you find your career with Salem so rewarding!

7. 1.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

The health insurance is terrible, do not work here if you have a family.

Mar 14, 2018 - Marketing in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people at the Washington D. C. office are incredibly friendly, talented, smart, and fun to be around.

Cons

The health insurance is terrible. Do not work at this company if you have a family. They offer only two plan options and both have high deductibles, so you end up paying full cost of doctor visits. Every time your kid has a cold you risk paying out $200 until you meet the $2700 in network calendar deductible. That'd be fine if they paid super high salaries, but I don't make enough for $2700 in a year to not hurt. And the premiums are expensive too, between 200-360 per pay period depending on how many "wellness" hoops you jump through! For a company that projects a family-friendly Christian image, REALLY disappointing. They really do not seem to care about providing affordable coverage for their hundreds of employees. Be aware what you're signing up for if you apply for a job here. If you're single and never get sick, it's not bad. But if you have a family, you're going to spend a lot of time stressed and in tears because of how terrible and expensive the health insurance they offer is. Good luck!

HR Department

Thank you for your review. Our available plans do have higher deductibles but there are ways to help manage the cost such as LiveHealth Online where you have access to a doctor 24/7 (for illnesses such as the common cold) and the co pay is not subject to the deductible. Our health insurance plans are reviewed and adjusted annually and we choose the options that are most favorable for the majority of our employees. If you would like to discuss Salem’s health insurance options or your concerns further, feel free to contact our corporate HR department at (805) 233 – 3129.

8. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Company is very greedy. Not as Christian as they would like you to believe.

Sep 9, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

None, nada, zip, zilch, and any other words you can say to imply this is not a good place to work.

Cons

Money dictates how people are treated. They want creativity on an assembly line. They are the iHeart of Christian radio.

1 person found this review helpful
    9. 2.0
      Former Employee

Account Executive/Marketing Consultant

Aug 17, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Staff is very friendly.

Cons

Pay is not competitive and is way lower than what the cost of living in Los Angeles reflects. You are not given a book of business and are responsibility for creating all of your own leads and developing all new business which is very challenging to do working for a Christian/Conservative organization in a liberal city like Los Angeles. The prices for assets are higher than competitors which also makes it difficult to close sales. You do not inherit any accounts so you won't see commissions until about a year or more after working here.

HR Department

Thank you for your review of Salem Media Group. We understand that building a book of business in sales can be challenging. We have shared your concerns with local management regarding sharing the pros and cons of sales during the interview process. Should you have any other concerns, please feel free to contact the corporate HR department at (805) 233 - 3129.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee

Promotions Coordinator

Aug 11, 2017 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible schedule, good people, variety of events. Higher paying than most p/t promotions positions.

Cons

Not enough hours/ only part time. The devout conservative and Christian content is not for everyone.

HR Department

Thank you for your review. We always strive to make sure our employees are compensated fairly for their work and we are happy to hear that that is true in your situation. While this position may currently be part time, Salem does have a wide range of full time positions available as well at salemmedia.com/careers. If you would like to discuss any of your concerns further, feel free to contact the corporate HR department at (805) 233 3129.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 60 Reviews