KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Salem Media Group

Is this your company?

Salem Media Group

Add a Review

Salem Media Group Employee Reviews about "low pay"

Updated Sep 18, 2019

Found 14 of over 537 reviews

4.4
Salem Media Group CEO and Director Edward G. Atsinger III
Edward G. Atsinger III
Pros
  • "Being a Christian and a Conservative is not something that needs to be hidden in this media company(in 38 reviews)

• "Support teams from every department makes for a smooth transition into a new work environment(in 36 reviews)

• Cons
  • "He said that I should not expect to be paid what my skills are worth in the Christian media space(in 27 reviews)

• "Low pay, practice of giving unfair preferential treatment for some employees(in 14 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Salem Media Group and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "low pay"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 3.0
      Former Employee

Company review

Sep 18, 2019 - Production Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fun place to work at.

Cons

Low pay, practice of giving unfair preferential treatment for some employees.

1 person found this review helpful

Human Resources

Salem appreciates you taking the time to share your views about our company. Our employees mean very much to us, which is why we strive to always make sure they are successful. At the same time, we believe that it is very important to establish a great community, so we take your comments very seriously. As always, Salem wants our employees to know that they should always feel comfortable sharing their criticisms, concerns and ideas with our corporate HR department at 844-500-9299, so if there is anything else you would like to discuss, please let us know.

2. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Low pay, Poor Benefits, Old Fashioned Thinking

Sep 17, 2018 - Account Executive in Nashville, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

No weekends, my desk chair was comfortable

Cons

Awful benefits, Low pay, Very old mindset, Everyone I know there struggled financially

3 people found this review helpful

HR Department

We appreciate you taking the time to discuss your concerns. Our goal is to try to provide our employees with work that suites them and utilizes them to their full potential. If you are interested in giving us more feedback, so we may learn more, please speak with our corporate HR department at (805) 233-3129. Thank you.

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great environment poor pay

Sep 24, 2017 - News Director in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Non-combative environment , job clearly defined. Meetings were well directed and on point. Promoting the station in the community was well planned and met community needs. Music was selected according to community standards. The Newsroom was kept up to date with equipment that always worked.

Cons

Low pay. Didn't take into account the years of experience or journalism degree or ratings success at other stations, including major markets in addition to Dallas.

HR Department

Thank you for taking the time to review Salem Media Group. Thank you for your feedback regarding the work place environment and our stations activity within their community. We are aware of reviews that address issues with compensation but we as a company strive to pay our employees at or above market level and reward them based on their effort and hard work regardless of experience. Once again we are always open to hearing ideas on how to improve as a company so if you would like to discuss this further feel free to contact our corporate HR Department at (805) 233- 3129.

4. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Be cautious - I do not recommend

Jun 13, 2017 - Board Operator
      Business Outlook

Pros

I worked there for many years and had a good relationship with everyone. Other friendly board operators. Flexible scheduling

Cons

Low pay Not much appreciation Very stressful Little training Your work gets added more and more but your pay stays the same. No work life balance - you should be available to be contacted all the time Very poor management Poor treatment of clients and employees by upper management Management shows favoritism between employees and clients

Social Media Coordinator

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the feedback and would like to address your concerns further so feel free to contact our corporate HR department at (805) 233-3129.

5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

If You're Looking for a Career, Please Run

Mar 14, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Enjoyable coworkers, free snacks, helpful local HR

Cons

low pay, long hours, skirting overtime requirements, passive aggressive managers, no upward mobility, no annual reviews, unprofessional treatment of younger employees, actual treatment of employees does not line up with values, poor communication, no training or continued education within your field

6 people found this review helpful

Social Media Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to review Salem Media Group. We are sorry to hear about your difficulties with management. We would like to address your concerns, so we would encourage you to please contact Salem’s corporate HR department at 805-233-3129. Thank you.

6. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Christian Themed Organization

Nov 20, 2016 - Broadcast Engineer in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Salem Media Group is a Christian themed company that focuses on the needs of a like minded audience. The work environment is friendly, but typical of most business organizations. This is a great company to get your initial training in the media business.

Cons

The Christian theme doesn't always translate into the business side of the operation. Long hours for low pay is typical and absolute dedication is expected. The company is political and favors a republican agenda over Christian values. I did not see a strong effort for racial inclusiveness nor did I see ethnic variety.

7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good company, low pay, average benefits

Oct 10, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

helpful and friendly staff, stable career (for the most part), standard work flow.

Cons

Not enough holidays off (only 10 per year??); very low pay scale compared to other mid-sized companies; rarely get raises unless change of position.

HR Director

Thank you for your feedback. We do review pay and benefits (including holidays) annually, and ill take your comments under advisement.

8. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Clueless Management

Jul 20, 2016 -  in Nashville, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Coworkers are decent to work with.

Cons

Low pay, no training, management unwilling and incompetent to resolve serious issues, management unable and unwilling to plan ahead.

9. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

High expectations, low compensation

Sep 16, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Positive work environment depending on department and people. Caring people. Established company. Decent benefits for full time employees.

Cons

Low pay. Incompetent and ineffective leadership. Too much red tape. Ineffective based on level of resources. High turnover.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Salem is a wonderful company to work for.

Sep 4, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

I love coming to work everyday. Salem has a great culture, company values and mission that is nice to be a part of. The people I get to work with are caring and encouraging, it is a pleasant atmosphere.

Cons

Better pay and 3 weeks of vacation at five years would be nice. Other than low pay, I do not have many cons.

1 person found this review helpful