Salesforce Account Executive Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 17, 2017

Account Executive

4.2

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Probably couldn't find a better work-life balance anywhere in the bay (in 243 reviews)

• Company DNA is based on 1-1-1 model and giving back to community (7 days of Volunteering Time Off each year) (in 101 reviews)

Cons
  • You need to set your Work/Life balance (in 182 reviews)

• Fast paced environment - Must be a self starter (in 99 reviews)

"Hard work, but amazing!"

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The 1-1-1 Model here (google it) and a tangible benefit that results of it is 7 full days of VTO (volunteer time off) to be used responsibly at your discretion. Matching gifts to a non-profit of your choice.

- Benefits here overall are incredible
    - ESPP is attractive
    - Time off is generous
    - comp package works in your favor- i.e. hard work does in fact = revenue.
    - equipment is all up-to-date and excellent (iPhone as work phone, and MacBook as laptop)
    - Training that consists of bootcamp in San Francisco, and further training at a local hub. Ongoing trailheads and updates also keep you on your toes.
    - Fast-paced environment
    - Great culture
    - Talented professionals
    - Collaborative environment across different segments
    - Brand recognition
    - Smooth employee processes in the background (payroll, time logged, benefit tracking, incentive tracking, employee profile, etc).
    - Continuous acquisitions of companies continues to strengthen our products and offerings.
    - Snacks, events, and happy hours
    - Flexibility and autonomy given to consult with your clients
    - Networking opportunities here are endless

Cons

- You can feel "left-behind" here at times, so it's crucial to stay organized to keep up with the pace, especially early on.
    - Work-life balance (self-induced): it's easy to become attached to your work and your accounts, and it trickle over into your personal life after hours, or on weekends.
    - Difficult quota to hit, but that's for a reason. if this were easy I suppose they would let anyone in.

Can't think of anything else. It's hard to find things wrong with Salesforce, in fact this section took me a lot longer to provide the bullet points above then the pros section.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Can't wait to see what's next, and hope to continue growing my career here.

"Account Executive - Marketing Cloud"

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Most companies open their doors for discussion with Salesforce
    - Solid product differentiation in market
    - Large existing footprint across clouds - upsell opportunities
    - Strong set of thought leaders representing the suite of products and respective verticals who are well-spoken and willing to help in deal cycle
    - Flexibility to work from anywhere
    - Opportunity to become skilled in running strategic enterprise deal cycles and operational rigor...this includes going deep with marketers, corralling stakeholders across the business to realistically make an impact on how the brand operates internally, goes to market, supports customers
    - Exposure to big brands depending on book of business
    - Tremendous company-wide growth trajectory
    - A lot of great and bright people - if you seek them out and build relationships early you will increase the likelihood you succeed long-term so long as you can make a positive impact as well
    - Socially progressive company with enough weight to influence global politics in some respect. Marc has an infectious personality and is a visionary. He uses his power to in part lead by example and stand up for social injustices we’re all working through today. This is an incredibly important point and obligation he and the rest of leadership tackle head on.
    - Focus on giving back prevalent - but less so in Sales org.

Cons

- More than several people have shared this line, “Salesforce is a great place to be so long as you’re not in Sales” — pervasive sub-culture described in more detail in following bullets
    - Highly variable opportunity, meaning what AVP and RVP you work for including what specific book of business you cover will make or break your run at Salesforce
    - Not all managers created equally — I’ve worked for incredibly talented, empathic, helpful leaders and others who seemingly care about themselves and their career trajectory...highly political
    - Throw under the bus culture — be prepared to defend every decision on your own and be held accountable. **This point cannot be understated**
    - Make every month - pressure micro-managing your quota attainment monthly — not necessarily a negative as you have a goal for the fiscal not quarterly and do need to be mindful of the risk relying too heavily on Q4 alone (where we do a significant portion of deals for the year)
    - Work/Life balance in Sales rarely exists and depending on your patch you could be in multiple cities each week. The reps who don’t have this complaint have either gotten lucky or have succeeded in prior years and had the right relationships and been mindful and upfront about their needs for the coming year...or they just don’t mind the requirements.
    - Depending on who you are the WFH thing can be isolating. Great for some people though and especially when you’re traveling a lot and have a family.
    - Definitely a sizable element of those who operate like a bull in china shop...jock mentality in a way.

Advice to Management

It’s known across the leadership the company is suffering from a decrease in morale per the employee surveys. Address this immediately and publicly.

A sales leader shouldn’t be elevated into this role only on the basis of killing the number. Probably a generalization here so said another way - be mindful of what qualities you need in your leaders outside of sales acumen. An effective manager who molds to the different personalities and needs of their team, is perceptive, cares about their people as individuals and genuinely invests the attention here will decrease turnover, tenure and increase ACV attainment on an individual level.

"Great company if you’re not in sales"

Former Employee - SMB Account Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - SMB Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Salesforce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company culture and product innovation make this company a great place to work. Fun events and in-office perks make it easier to go to work everyday!

Cons

Sales organization needs serious help. Territories are way too small and most customers are tired of AE turnover. Quotas are aggressive (and monthly) so the pressure is endless.

Advice to Management

Another sales re-org is needed.

"Account Executive"

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good product at its core
    Lots of support from marketing and good brand
    There are lots of good sales resources to help you sell - best marketing organization I have ever gotten to partner with...
    Sales Engineer staff is generally solid

Cons

Mid Market AE’s get 8 total install accounts, only 2-3 of which will actually buy anything, particularly on the west coast (very small amount of accounts compared to Mid Market territories at other companies). I’ve seen lots of highly successful AEs come to Salesforce and leave after less then a year after being dealt TERRIBLE territories mostly due to lots of upset oversold customers with lots of shelfware. Also, lots of poor implementations due to prior AEs not insisting on customers bringing in business partners when they should have because they just wanted to close deals....Many customers who look good on paper aren’t buying anything for these reasons....in many cases hard work has nothing to do with hitting your number - if you don’t have good/satisfied install accounts in your territory (total toss up btw) there is no path to success whatsoever as decent net new logo deals are few and far between (in Mid Market) - the expectation at Salesforce is that you won’t hit your number - you’ve been warned...

Culture is another toss up depending on the RVP - they preach “Ohana” but in lots of cases it should be “nohana” - be VERY careful if you are looking at a job in one of the the coprime aka overlay AE divisions as
    it can be very toxic if your product set isn’t service cloud....be sure to really feel out your managers leadership style before you take one of these roles because there really are some brutally awful RVPs. If the RVP you are interviewing with is brand new to Salesforce CAUTION

Terrible new AE product enablement - they give you marketing fluff and that’s it

Advice to Management

The solution to your problem is not to just throw more salespeople at it...
    Care more about the customer vs. just closing business - the amount of shelfware and poor implementations in the mid market especially is obscene and your reps are now paying the price - rewriting contracts to squeeze every last dollar possible out of your customers is not going to fix the problem...
    Way to many coprimes per territory

5. "Senior Account Executive"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture is absolutely amazing and the values are truly followed to a T. Best company I've ever worked for.

Cons

The on boarding is very self-driven which can be great and bad at the same time. I prefer it that way.

Advice to Management

Keep managing the way you do. I love the flexibility that I've given to accomplish my goals

"Mass Incompetence"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Amazing brand
    -Some cool products
    -Generous PTO, VTO, Wellness Reimbursement and ESPP

Cons

-Really hard to get deals done; never before have I seen a sales org with people so hard to work with!
    -Some resources (especially tenured ones) behave like prima donnas (not helpful for closing business as they should be); very few work hard
    -Attrition due to poor enablement / training
    -Sales management only focused on pipeline; zero mentoring or removal of obstacles (I’m talking role clarity, basic framework and tooling here)
    -No consistency across teams - everyone running their own business

The culture is too casual and lacking the structure that a 25,000 person company needs. “Whatever whenever” doesn’t work at scale. People are frustrated and exhausted. This includes your customers.

Advice to Management

I know that you’re working on operational excellence, but hurry up please! It’s what separates the good companies from the great ones.

"Account Executive"

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Sales education and training is best I've ever had
    - A repeatable process and unlimited tools to help you grow
    - Promotion path is clear and defined
    - Great people! We hire great people and it does build a family feel in the office
    - Work life balance. Salesforce is great at understanding the importance of balance and encourages you to not work long hours and to take your vacation.
    - Great benefits - robust benefits plan, wellness, education grant and more.

Cons

- Managers micromanage. This is a very metrics driven org where KPIs are assessed every week.
    - Territories are getting smaller and smaller
    - OTE is achievable but it's hard to hit your monthly quota month over month.

Salesforce Response

Oct 16, 2017 – President and Chief People Officer

Thanks for the great feedback! While I'm glad to hear there are many aspects of our culture that you enjoy, I would encourage you to raise the issues you highlighted in the "Cons" section... More

8. "Great Company"

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

AWesome beenfits, awesome people, awesome product

Cons

no free lunches, and no free citi bike memebership

Advice to Management

1 clear new hire list, not 10

9. "Salesforce culture"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture here is amazing and the benefits offered are unlike any other. Work/life balance is great as well.

Cons

I wish there was more opportunity to work remotely and not feel it is absolutely necessary to be in the office. Also, I wish there were more options to look at different roles within the company. More internal career fairs.

Advice to Management

Really understand your reps and what works best for them. Some like hands-on and others prefer to work more independently.

Salesforce Response

Sep 18, 2017 – President and Chief People Officer

Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying our Ohana culture! I'd encourage you to talk with your manager about working remotely from time to time to see if that would be... More

"AE"

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture is amazing. I could not ask for a better corporate culture. It is a company with a mission backed by the strongest CRM platform in the world!

Cons

Sometime mission and metrics get confused