Salesforce Reviews | Glassdoor

Salesforce Reviews

Updated July 23, 2017

2.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Probably couldn't find a better work-life balance anywhere in the bay (in 215 reviews)

• great culture and 1/1/1 is inspiring (in 94 reviews)

Cons
  • You can often struggle with your work/life balance based on the YoY high-growth demands (in 167 reviews)

• Fast paced, expect to be held to quota every month (in 95 reviews)

"Remote - Professional Services Consulting"

Former Employee - Program Architect in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Program Architect in Remote, OR

Pros

Compensation & Benefits are above average.

Cons

Professional services consulting in the DACH/EMEA region is pathetic. Role conflicts with partner ecosystem are common. Enterprise mindset is lacking. Clients see no value in engaging Salesforce services. Services consultants work in silos from the larger organisation. Consulting organisation is bloated with 150+ roles that clients can't make any sense of.

Advice to Management

Bring in leaders who actually have experience rather than acccountants heading professional services teams with no clue of enterprise consulting nor Salesforce knowhow.

"Little to no upward opportunity... for particular demographics..."

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Amazing technology, very good pay (for the most part), fantastic opportunity for just about everyone other than a white male in a mid-level role.

Cons

Promote based on gender & race often rather than accomplishments and abilities. While its a noble effort, they have swung the pendulum wayyyy too far to the left and literally overlook many long-term tenured employees that have proven success over the years. It's all about putting on that shiny appeal to the outside.

On the inside, it's actually pretty ugly.

Additionally, Socialism is a real thing within Salesforce... in the mid-ranks, those who excel are not compensated accordingly... and those who lag are carried by them. Executives make far more than the worker bees. Just like in a Socialist Society. Interesting, eh?

Advice to Management

Sometimes you can go too far with a good effort and you've done it. Time to real it back in before you find yourself with people in far over their heads in roles you placed them in because it puts a pretty face on the organization.

"Good sometimes, mostly bad."

I worked at Salesforce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company name to put on resume
    Benefits (wellness, PTO, free coffee, etc)
    Good experience

Cons

Manipulative coworkers
    Long hours
    Little opportunity for advancement

Advice to Management

My department rarely seemed to promote from within which was difficult as a lower level employee to see a future in the company. Also if you weren't a favorite, or part of the boys club, forget about recognition or being considered for advancement at all. Also, at least in my office there were a lot of cliques and if you weren't in one you were easily thrown under the bus for mistakes. Some people worked 80 hr weeks and others barely worked 30. Overall, it was great for experience and high profile projects, but other than that it was a fairly toxic work environment. Luckily my boss seemed to care a lot, while others just wanted to be buds with the people they managed. This was hard because I was the only person at my level under my manager and was being held to higher standards than the people at my same level.

4. "Salesforce Intern Review"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Salesforce as an intern

Pros

The company moves quickly - it is a lot to handle at first. The benefits are great and the office makes you never want to leave.

Cons

Many employees work far more than they are paid. The company works non stop and demands excellent work from everybody. Some managers are also not qualified to have interns... could work on their intern placement more.

Advice to Management

My pairing with my manager was not right. I did not fill out any sort of survey (like I have for other companies) talking about myself and how I work. I felt like I was placed with a manager who I had nothing in common with.

Jun 3, 2017 – EVP, Global Employee Success

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. We greatly value our interns and do our best to set them up with great managers. I'm forwarding your review to our head of University Recruiting so... More

"Great Product with Toxic Culture"

I worked at Salesforce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Market dominate product, HQ in the city, commitment to charity and giving back, great parties and lots of perks

Cons

Extremely toxic work environment, especially at SVP and above. Watch your back at this highly political company. If your manager has been there 10+ years, you may look to reconsider working here.

Advice to Management

Unearth toxic culture and senior leaders. Longevity does not equate to being a good leader. Practice what you preach when it comes to your "Ohana"

"Great Company, Horrible Team"

Former Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Salesforce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits
    1:1:1 model
    Looks good on your resume

Cons

Inept managers, toxic politics

I worked with "the creative group" within the marketing organization. The creative team is full of creatives that are half asleep and just there for the check. The team structure - product vertices, aka "clouds", paying for your position as a creative/ Program Manager/ media etc, but not considering a part of their cloud per se is weird and causes a lot of issues.
    Middle management in this group is inept on a good day. I feel like I actually lost ground on skill development while here.
    Overall some of the worst politics I've ever encountered.

Advice to Management

Stop turning a blind eye to poor management

May 2, 2017 – EVP, Global Employee Success

Thank you for your review. We take our employees' feedback seriously, which is why we created the Feedback app — so that you can give fair and honest feedback (anonymously if you wish). I encourage... More

"Toxic work environment and culture"

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Marc Benioff is a great CEO
    - Building tallest new building on west coast
    - Training
    - Commitment to philanthropy 1:1:1 model
    - Good office location

Cons

Management - Many Managers, Few Leaders
    - Moral is low. Few are making quota. Micro management is pervasive. Management wants to own all the deals and tell AE's what to do and how to do it. There is no trust in the AE's ability to drive a deal to close. Management attempts to drive rep behavior by fear and focusing too much on the volume of activity. There is a lack of focus on being out in territory vs volume of remote calls / meetings. Management needs to do a better job of using the app to reference next steps and activity. AE's are asked to repeat what is already in the app and often a waste of time and meetings.

Quota Attainment and Resources
    - Very few people are hitting quota and throwing more bodies at the problem is not solving it. We are short of SE's and SE management. We have way too many co-primes units and need to dissolve the service cloud co-prime role. GB and Select comp plan is not aligned to a "monthly cadence" and only can make , few people are achieving quota and management is terrible. Management constantly complaining to reps about activity, expense reports or closed business. Monthly cadence for sales isn't aligned to the comp plan for GB and Select roles. A lot of politics.

Limited Work Life Balance and Always on Call
    - We are not doctors or solving the world's most important problems. We are sales reps for a tech company. We should not be on call every night, weekend and on PTO. Reps are NOT encourage to take time away to re-energized and refocus. When reps try to take time off, they are getting daily emails from management.

Managers Get Unlimited PTO / Reps Get Very Limited PTO
    - Managers not get unlimited PTO due to a policy change in April 2017 where Director level and above (management) get unlimited PTO, Meanwhile AE reps are limited to about 2 weeks of PTO and still filling out weekly time sheets! Everyone should be on the same policy - unlimited PTO.

Credit on Deals
    - Another example of the politics and toxic culture is having another AE get credit and commission credit for a large deal they did not do any work on. This impacts the moral, work environment, and obviously commission. Management often overlooks doing the right thing and being inflexible.

Advice to Management

Reinvent the Ohana culture and create an environment where people want to come to work. Leading by fear and telling reps what to do and how to do is driving the sales culture nuts. It will not yield to more productive or engaged employees. It will lead to low morale, turnover and less ACV closed.

Trim the fat and get rid of the dead weight! Hire more SE's for a better ratio of AE's to SE's. This is critical. There should not be SE for 4 teams! Reduce the co-prime dead weight like service cloud AE.

May 5, 2017 – EVP, Global Employee Success

Thank you for taking the time to provide this thorough feedback. Developing our managers is top of mind for me and our management team, so I'm sharing your review with the appropriate leaders to... More

"Not as great as advertised"

I worked at Salesforce full-time

Pros

Big company with great benefits.

Cons

Big company where you can get lost. Sometimes seems like "corporate" does not know what is going on in other parts of the company.

Advice to Management

Offer surveys. Find out what's going on with more than the executives. Stop touting we are great and find out what issues staff has and work on it.

"Salesforce Marketing Cloud..... Exacttarget was better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Team (the peers on my team are awesome... and mostly unhappy)
    - Money (you end up paying for it, trust me)
    - Benefits (comparable to other large companies, especially large software companies)
    - Booze (yay?)
    - Snacks (yay?)
    - 'Swag' (if you enjoy being a walking advertisement)
    - Would probably be a decent place to work if you liked your job and work life balance was better

Cons

- Work life balance is terrible
    - Everything is a snowflake and not scalable (they will eventually figure this out and it will hurt when it matters)
    - Incompetent management (mid and senior level - how are these people getting hired/promoted?)
    - Too much management so nothing actually gets done
    - CAB/change management is incompetent
    - Dev does not seem to know how to make their products stable or supportable
    - Infrastructure does not seem to know how to make their environments stable
    - Meetings (let's have a meeting about a meeting and we will schedule a meeting to discuss the meeting)
    - Internal Salesforce recruiting/hiring is worthless
    - Indy Tower move provides no benefit to employees and worsens work life balance
    - Commute will also be worse when moved to the Indy tower
    - Pay for your own parking (penalized for not living in the city)
    - No real room for growth within Marketing Cloud for my team
    - Worst career decision I have made from a skill set perspective (no marketable skill set growth outside of the company)
    - Company liberal agenda constantly shoved down your throat
    - Employees placed into a silo
    - Mandatory holiday (Thanksgiving) work for Marketing Cloud so other companies can send more spam to people who do not want it
    - My teams mandatory weekly on call rotation recently went from 4 weeks/year to 15 weeks/year (yes, seriously, and that is the main reason I am quitting)
    - Most people seem to feel entitled (it is almost like living in a smug cloud)
    - The company itself provides no real benefit to society so they allow employees to volunteer to feel fulfilled on the inside but really it is thinly veiled attempt at marketing and promotion of the company
    - Stressful workplace
    - Job titles are made up
    - Open office concept is detrimental to productivity and health in general
    - Cult feeling with all the internal lingo
    - Ridiculous amount of money spent on unnecessary things but then they take away the small amount of money they contributed to parking costs which is a necessity
    - Giant corporation now... culture cannot keep up with acquisitions. News flash: people are different in different parts of the country and the rest of the world. Company needs to just admit they are the same as other giant corporations.
    - No longer feels like a innovative/entrepreneurial/start-up company (Now we just buy those kinds of companies, even if it doesn't make sense. I'm looking at you Quip.)
    - The CEO talked about buying Twitter on TV and the stock dropped like a rock (seriously, Twitter?, GTFO)
    - The company has never told a customer no, even when they needed to do so and the company is feeling it
    - Company seems to reward bad client behavior instead of correcting it
    - I am tired of typing but there are definitely more cons than pros

Advice to Management

Live the values you preach. Stop making your employee's lives worse instead of better. Indy is a small tech community and once word gets out, which has already begun, you are going to have a much harder time than you already do recruiting talent and more importantly, retaining talent. There are a lot of local, successful startups sucking top talent out of the Marketing Cloud. I do not expect this to stop anytime soon. The brain drain continues and talented employees are being replaced with untalented, cheaper labor.

Also, the client support experience is a nightmare now that you began replacing skilled engineers with unskilled, low cost overseas workers who can barely speak/write/comprehend English. The core support model is flawed. Exacttarget's support model was far superior before you gutted it. Not everything core does is the right way to do things. The sooner you figure that out, the better. I would not be surprised to see more and more clients leaving for better support experiences elsewhere.

"Conservatives need not apply. Amazing products, but it's a marketing company not a tech company."

Pros

Great products and vision for adding more.

Cons

All comms are mktg comms, incl EE comms. Reality doesn't match the hype.

Corporate culture (Ohana) embraces liberal politics and public shaming.

Company is a vehicle for the CEO's cult of personality, which results in groupthink.

Success depends more on popularity, corporate politics, and self-promotion than on merit. Advancement requires enthusiastic adoption and practice of Ohana, including the liberalism, which creates more groupthink.

Advice to Management

Keep innovating and integrating complementary technologies and companies. Stop pushing the liberal political agenda--stick to business. Prohibit public shaming and discipline those who use it. Stop marketing so hard to employees, just do things that make them excited and they'll be excited. Beware of aligning goals, culture, and incentives so closely that you suppress meaningful dissent--you are entirely out of touch with your blind spots and you silence/ignore those who would help you to see them. Even though you think you are inclusive and welcome differing opinions, you really want and reward orthodoxy and punish dissent.

Showing 246 of 3,184 reviews