Salesforce Reviews | Glassdoor

Salesforce Reviews

Updated May 19, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • Probably couldn't find a better work-life balance anywhere in the bay (in 205 reviews)

• great culture and 1/1/1 is inspiring (in 89 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is a challenge but it is supported by management (in 163 reviews)

• Fast paced environment with steep ramp up (in 92 reviews)

"Culture Whack-a-Mole"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time

Pros

Great pay, great offices, great benefits, free and healthy beverages and snacks, and fully staffed coffee bars. The 1-1-1 model of giving back and the company culture are just great. There are worse places to work for sure.

Cons

The Kool-Aid is powerful here and for good reason. Salesforce is a highly visible and very successful company led by a charismatic CEO coupled with an amazing culture. The yearly Dreamforce conference is a thing of wonder. Salesforce consistently ranks at the top of best places to work surveys and for good reason. There are HUGE plus points to being here.

However, there is some serious rot inside of the system around 1) the Ohana (family) culture, 2) inept middle management and a lack of transparency, and 3) equality (aka diversity and inclusion). I’m writing this now before I become too comfortable and too vested to speak up.

There have been many situations where Ohana is the opposite of what I’ve seen in many situations during my short time at Salesforce. Some people and teams are petty and hard to work with.

The Ohana culture comes from the top, and that’s a great thing. Marc Benioff has made some clear and newsworthy moves, which are great. However, the Ohana culture is hit or miss.

There are stories of people one level below Benioff treating other employees quite badly. Also, the company is growing so fast that people who ought not be managers are managers. The ranks are populated it with awful mid-level managers that seem to have no idea how to work with people and lack essential management knowledge and skills. The company is so fast-paced that it’s not possible to take the time needed to learn them either. It’s happened to me, and I’ve heard other first-hand accounts of people in the organization that deal with their co-workers with aggressiveness and passive-aggressiveness, politics, gossip, and a good amount of foot dragging or back-stabbing.

To his credit, when stories of bad behavior and mismanagement get to the top, Benioff shuts it down quickly. I’ve seen it, and the change that comes is swift. But it’s usually just a patch. However, the problem comes from exactly that. The company is growing at such a fast rate that he can’t catch all the rot in the system and make sure it’s fixed. Benioff and his team simply can’t see all of the problems that pop up in varying levels of the company. My feeling is also people don’t want to share the bad stuff with him.

It’s cultural-rot whack a mole. There is a new internal feedback app, but it feels like a bandaid when what’s really needed is surgery and physical therapy.

The culture discourages full transparency. If you complain you’re running a real risk of being ignored or scolded. I’ve seen that happen. After all, it’s one of the best places to work, right? Who are you to complain?! You better suck it up because tons of people really want to be here.

There isn’t any outright corporate warfare between employees and teams because that would be seen as too aggressive. That would be healthier and easier to resolve. What it means is there are a lot of sly maneuvers, working in silos, budget and headcount fights, and teams and co-workers that keep essential information from each other.

I don’t have much faith that their equality team and initiatives can really affect change. Some people on that team don’t have a track record of diversity and inclusion. How can you lead the charge on equality when it’s not an issue you’re vested in? You can’t claim equality is important when you don’t take the time to stop, listen, learn, and act.

The focus is on PR and there is an unrealistic focus on scale. Scale will follow when people can make intentional moves to bring people in. Those people will then refer their contacts. People will see diverse candidates joining and will want to follow. If equality were quick and easy all of these companies would be showing incredible numbers. Instead, there is a lot of talk and waste. Middle managers talk about equality and diversity while still packing their teams with people that look just like them. People flying here and there blowing the budget on expensive programs instead of being allies to people at the company right here and now that need support.

The same goes for public-facing events. With all of the talk of no budget or headcount on a lot of teams. Why blow money on a fancy awards ceremony when the program isn't even one year old? (Google "Salesforce Equality Awards" and you'll find it.) You get great PR, get to expense a trip, get pictures with some influential people, pat yourselves on the back about how progressive you are, have a fancy and expensive party, and reward privileged people with an award. What you’re really doing blowing money that could be used to make a real difference by hiring people who’d shift the needle. Put that money to teams where they can aggressively pursue and hire diverse candidates and pay them a competitive wage. Build an incentive into the system: refer diverse candidates and get a bonus if they’re hired. Hold managers accountable when they pass over qualified diverse candidates.

Right now, what I'm seeing is lots of great PR, feel good moments, and no real moves shift the numbers.

Other points:

HR is pretty awful. Getting through a recruiting cycle takes forever in many cases: tons of candidates and lots of work for the recruiting team coupled with hiring managers and teams that don’t make moving the candidate through the pipeline a real priority. As a result, you have candidates languishing for weeks.

How they handle issues around budget and headcount is awful. Lots of last minute decision making and lots of demands without the matching budget so a lot of stress.

How they deal with contractors is the antithesis of the Ohana culture. They should really rethink and fix how they work with them.

Advice to Management

I write this because I care. I hope that they actually read it, take it seriously, and fix things now. This is an important moment for Salesforce.

I’m rooting for the company, and I hope to find a team where mismanagement, hypocrisy, and waste are at a minimum. Until then I realize how good I’ve got it, but, shake things up and fix it or else it’s going to get worse. It’s sad seeing a company that’s so magical lose a lot of what makes it great.

Apr 25, 2017 – EVP, Global Employee Success

Thank you for this detailed feedback. There are a lot of important points in your review, and I would love to meet with you to discuss your experiences in person. If you are open to it, please reach ... More

"Great company with some terrible senior leaders"

Former Employee - Senior Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Salesforce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company values and commitment to giving back to the community. There are many well-meaning and passionate leaders who support and enable a corporate positive and enlightened corporate culture. There are several departments that truly embody the wonderful aspects of the company, collaboration, work/life balance, philanthropy, employee development, and innovation. The company has a good perspective on reasonable employee amenities, providing a good work environment without creating an entitled workforce. The benefits and compensation are average for the industry.

Cons

Bad managers thrive creating terrible and deep differences between departments and culture.
    Extremely difficult for an employee to seek help or remediation from bad situations - "star" executives trump any negativity surrounding them.
    No performance management process which leads to discretionary and highly subjective annual reward and comp process.
    No long term plan and huge disconnects between finance, real estate, and business groups.
    Rapid employee growth without thought leading to high OpEx and zero profit.

Advice to Management

Start to operate like a real company in the real world and the first step is an in-depth and critical self-reflective exercise. Limit growth. The number of employees to revenue ratio does not work any longer.

3. "Full-Time Employee status = Great, Contractor status = Not so great"

Former Contractor - Techforce Analyst - Agency Temp in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Contractor - Techforce Analyst - Agency Temp in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Salesforce as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The FTE benefits, employee stock purchase options, bonuses, and overall perks are amazing. They really create a perfect package of compensation to make this more of a career and less of a job

Cons

You don't get any of those perks as a contractor, and there's a bit of a stigma working as a contractor. There's even a social media hashtag floating around, #justftethings. The separation between contractor and FTE is so huge that the disparity alone has been enough to have people leave the company and look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Work to include your contractors as much as possible. The feeling of not being able to participate in these awesome things that FTEs receive is very disheartening, especially after you spend 2 years as a contractor and are told there's no budget to convert you. Try spending less money on frivolous things, or maybe

5. "Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Salesforce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great compensation, Upper management is inspiring.

Cons

Unhealthy competition, unreasonable expectations, uninspiring and unskilled/non technical middle management.

Advice to Management

Get your act together.

"The culture is changing rapidly"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Salesforce full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Progressive company under Benioff's leadership. Great pay and perks. Better than average technologies.

Cons

The culture is becoming Oracle. The original salesforce culture is gone. Very political. Too much time spent managing perception and not enough serving the customer.

Advice to Management

Promote managers and leaders who are focused on team and customer. Not just the best at playing the promotion game.

Apr 17, 2017 – EVP, Global Employee Success

Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback. You are correct that we need our leaders and managers to be focused on the team and the customer. I'm sharing your review with the appropriate ... More

"Use to be great!"

Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- great C Level leadership
    - treats employees well overall
    - work hard, rewarded well

Cons

- lower level management is poor in regards to management skills
    - weak H.R department when it comes to representing employees concerns
    - a TON of politics to deal with

Advice to Management

- listen to your employees. When they are leaving in droves, listen to their concerns and do something about them. They deserve a voice.

"Not what it seems"

I worked at Salesforce full-time

Pros

The focus on philanthropy is unlike any place I've worked and truly is great. 7 days of Volunteer time off and 5k donation matching is huge. It really is an important piece of the culture. I'd also say:
    - Competitive Pay
    - ESPP program
    - Fun people
    - Office downtown SF
    - The coffee shops
    - Company events

Cons

The Ohana culture is wonderful but unfortunately it's not practiced by many leaders. They don't reward good leadership and embodying the culture. I had heard it was the influx of the Oracle culture - and the sad part is we talked a lot about how important the culture was but we didn't hold senior leadership for it...so there was a lot of bad behavior (yelling, bullying, not allowing work/life balance, etc) . Felt a lot like it was all for PR and branding but not really what was valued or practiced.

There also is a lot of breaking points due to scaling growth - systems and technology in many functions are a joke. Many groups have had to create very manual processes b/c the systems are unreliable or not kept up to standard to scale.

Advice to Management

Keep the Ohana culture the company was built off of which means make some tough calls and cut leaders who are anti-Ohana. Should't tolerate the bad behavior as the impact to culture is going to have a lot of downstream impacts and you'll continue to lose more great people.

"Not walking the talk"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generous pay and bonus packages. Overall very talented crew of people in many parts of the business. Marc is a great visionary and his commitment to equality was attractive to me as a potential employee.

Cons

I don't think the company is walking the talk of equality. I recently watched them promote a smart guy who helped create a new financial services product while at the same time passing up a smart woman who successfully created a new health product for them. They were both really qualified hard working and achieved results in tough circumstances. For many of us that watched it take place, it sent the message that the company was not really committed to equality or at least not as much as the CEO. Actions speak louder than words.

Advice to Management

The company has built a great reputation and culture because of its commitment to core principles like trust and equality. Great if the whole company leadership would embrace it in action rather than talk about it. It's important if it's going to continue to be successful for the next decade or more.

Apr 19, 2017 – EVP, Global Employee Success

Thanks for the feedback and sharing your experience. If you believe you've witnessed discrimination, then please contact our anonymous third party provider EthicsPoint at 1-866-294-3540 (toll-free ... More

10. "Senior Business Analyst"

Current Contractor - Product Owner in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Product Owner in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Shuttle to work from South Bay clas

Cons

2nd class citizen as a contractor

Advice to Management

invest more in Agile and Scrum practices that made you successful

"It is okay"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salesforce really pushes giving back to the community. They really encourage taking advantage of their generous volunteer time off hours.

Cons

Salesforce moves slow. There are a lot of meetings that make it difficult to get work done.

Advice to Management

Be more direct and transparent.

Showing 404 of 3,017 reviews