Salesforce Reviews | Glassdoor

Salesforce Reviews

Updated December 15, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Probably couldn't find a better work-life balance anywhere in the bay (in 246 reviews)

• The 1-1-1 model that allows us to volunteer up to 7 days per year (in 104 reviews)

Cons
  • You need to set your Work/Life balance (in 185 reviews)

• Fast paced environment - Must be a self starter (in 101 reviews)

1. "Not what I expected"

Current Employee - Success Specialist in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Success Specialist in Portland, OR

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The following is everything I love about my time with Salesforce:
    -Team is amazing along with my Dept.
    -Culture is everything as advertised
    -Get to live out my Salesforce dreams everyday due to my team and job duties.

Cons

This is due to my current manager:

-Dislike the micro-management.
    -1:1 meetings are more for the manager, as they are supposed to be for the employee. 1:1's seem only to monitor employees and see if they are doing actual work even though they are producing, as well as expressing personal emotions.
    -Manager does not support helping others which is Ohana!
    -Manager does not respect employees personal time or space, trying to dig into personal life consistently and monitoring every action.
    -No encouragement for personal/career growth

Advice to Management

Spend more time finding managers that embody the Salesforce Ohana Culture as well have a proven track with Salesforce, rather than finding someone just to fill the spot.

Some people work years and dream just to get the chance to work for Salesforce only to be matched up with a manager that doesn't encourage growth within the company and only looks out for oneself.

2. "Chaotic mismanaged environment"

Current Employee - Enablement Business Partner in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Enablement Business Partner in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent CRM company - I was so excited to be part of this amazing company.....then they had a reorg - then another - and on and on and on!!!

Cons

If you’re lucky enough to get with a good manager it’s awesome- but don’t get settled in because they reorg every year. There is no change management policy and people are just shuffled around with no consideration for career paths. My manager has zero leadership skills. 1/1s are cancelled often and experienced individuals on the team are underutilized. Lots of wasted time on developing processes that are never implemented. - this company operates as a startup! There are a lot of talented people here that will leave because their managers are stifling their growth and creativity and not allowing employees to use their skills. Very sad!

3. "Senior Manager of Product"

I have been working at Salesforce full-time

Pros

Large company that feels small

Cons

Politics is on the rise as the company grows

"CSG - Chaos and Dysfunction"

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love what I am doing. love most of the people I work with, we are really making a difference for our customers.

Cons

Promotions and seniority is completely based on tenure at the company and relationships. CSG is specially dysfunctional - too many people doing busy work and not really being productive. As someone who has over 25 years of experience, I feel like people should be doing a lot more, and recognition should be more forthcoming.

Advice to Management

Take stock of your most productive staff, reorganize and restructure to get rid of the fat, focus on the right metrics rather than keeping management happy.

"Senior Program Developer"

Former Employee - Senior Integration Expert in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Integration Expert in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Salesforce full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

OnBoarding is nice, your brought into the company, and after being at Oracle for 12 years, it felt like a breath of fresh air. Pay is average, but the stock options and employee stock purchase plan is well put together. Agile, and SLDC is practiced. You can work remote, with light travel.

Cons

I was recruited from Oracle, as many, many before and probably after me have also been. There is a large amount of Oracle like legacy. But to give the company credit, it is a lot less dysfunctional. But I am a Java coder, product developer so I am going to skip wether their management styles are better or worse. As an engineer I thought, Cool : Heroku, SalesForce1 Mobile SDK, but I had very limited usage of these products. Heroku, they are somewhat lost on what to do with the acquisition, for the integration of some projects, we ended up using AWS EC2, and not even bothering to use Heroku. And SalesForce1 is essentially is a PhoneGap/Cordova fork, without having to worry about CORS issues when working with Salesforce REST API's. Lets get to the real issue here, APEX is a subset of Java, with 3 datatypes : Map, List and Sets, That's it. A very dumbed down version of Java. APEX is an abstraction on Oracle Triggers, gross. It really was like seeing some pathetic figure behind the curtain in Wizard of the Oz. Technically I expected much more from Salesforce, but it's heavy on ease of use. There is a lot of posturing at that company, people front like they are a "Data Scientist" or a "Machine Learning Experts" Then when I look at resumes, I see a lot of liberal art degrees, behind the titles. I think it's a good company, but if you are growing and learning, I am not sure this is the company to do that at, maybe to polish up your resume. I left Salesforce, contracted for a year, before coming aboard Red Hat and the rates for APEX development, Salesforce work was much lower than core Java, Node.JS, or Android/IOS dev work, it was kind of a Cul de Sac in my career. I got to be part of the Ohana culture, and I got some cool T Shirts, but somewhat underwhelmed.

Advice to Management

Thats a tough one for me to put out there, I think maybe more real honest to god case study white papers and projects with integration between Twillio, Tableau,, Native Android and reach out to those communities. Give more love to Heroku

"Great company if you’re not in sales"

Former Employee - SMB Account Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - SMB Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Salesforce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company culture and product innovation make this company a great place to work. Fun events and in-office perks make it easier to go to work everyday!

Cons

Sales organization needs serious help. Territories are way too small and most customers are tired of AE turnover. Quotas are aggressive (and monthly) so the pressure is endless.

Advice to Management

Another sales re-org is needed.

"Mass Incompetence"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Amazing brand
    -Some cool products
    -Generous PTO, VTO, Wellness Reimbursement and ESPP

Cons

-Really hard to get deals done; never before have I seen a sales org with people so hard to work with!
    -Some resources (especially tenured ones) behave like prima donnas (not helpful for closing business as they should be); very few work hard
    -Attrition due to poor enablement / training
    -Sales management only focused on pipeline; zero mentoring or removal of obstacles (I’m talking role clarity, basic framework and tooling here)
    -No consistency across teams - everyone running their own business

The culture is too casual and lacking the structure that a 25,000 person company needs. “Whatever whenever” doesn’t work at scale. People are frustrated and exhausted. This includes your customers.

Advice to Management

I know that you’re working on operational excellence, but hurry up please! It’s what separates the good companies from the great ones.

8. "Navigating through change"

I have been working at Salesforce full-time

Pros

Company is super agile. Love the chatter feature that promotes transparency and visbility to company's decisions.

Cons

Company is growing too big and too fast, processes have become redundant and it is taking longer to get things done.

"Culture Whack-a-Mole"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time

Pros

Great pay, great offices, great benefits, free and healthy beverages and snacks, and fully staffed coffee bars. The 1-1-1 model of giving back and the company culture are just great. There are worse places to work for sure.

Cons

The Kool-Aid is powerful here and for good reason. Salesforce is a highly visible and very successful company led by a charismatic CEO coupled with an amazing culture. The yearly Dreamforce conference is a thing of wonder. Salesforce consistently ranks at the top of best places to work surveys and for good reason. There are HUGE plus points to being here.

However, there is some serious rot inside of the system around 1) the Ohana (family) culture, 2) inept middle management and a lack of transparency, and 3) equality (aka diversity and inclusion). I’m writing this now before I become too comfortable and too vested to speak up.

There have been many situations where Ohana is the opposite of what I’ve seen in many situations during my short time at Salesforce. Some people and teams are petty and hard to work with.

The Ohana culture comes from the top, and that’s a great thing. Marc Benioff has made some clear and newsworthy moves, which are great. However, the Ohana culture is hit or miss.

There are stories of people one level below Benioff treating other employees quite badly. Also, the company is growing so fast that people who ought not be managers are managers. The ranks are populated it with awful mid-level managers that seem to have no idea how to work with people and lack essential management knowledge and skills. The company is so fast-paced that it’s not possible to take the time needed to learn them either. It’s happened to me, and I’ve heard other first-hand accounts of people in the organization that deal with their co-workers with aggressiveness and passive-aggressiveness, politics, gossip, and a good amount of foot dragging or back-stabbing.

To his credit, when stories of bad behavior and mismanagement get to the top, Benioff shuts it down quickly. I’ve seen it, and the change that comes is swift. But it’s usually just a patch. However, the problem comes from exactly that. The company is growing at such a fast rate that he can’t catch all the rot in the system and make sure it’s fixed. Benioff and his team simply can’t see all of the problems that pop up in varying levels of the company. My feeling is also people don’t want to share the bad stuff with him.

It’s cultural-rot whack a mole. There is a new internal feedback app, but it feels like a bandaid when what’s really needed is surgery and physical therapy.

The culture discourages full transparency. If you complain you’re running a real risk of being ignored or scolded. I’ve seen that happen. After all, it’s one of the best places to work, right? Who are you to complain?! You better suck it up because tons of people really want to be here.

There isn’t any outright corporate warfare between employees and teams because that would be seen as too aggressive. That would be healthier and easier to resolve. What it means is there are a lot of sly maneuvers, working in silos, budget and headcount fights, and teams and co-workers that keep essential information from each other.

I don’t have much faith that their equality team and initiatives can really affect change. Some people on that team don’t have a track record of diversity and inclusion. How can you lead the charge on equality when it’s not an issue you’re vested in? You can’t claim equality is important when you don’t take the time to stop, listen, learn, and act.

The focus is on PR and there is an unrealistic focus on scale. Scale will follow when people can make intentional moves to bring people in. Those people will then refer their contacts. People will see diverse candidates joining and will want to follow. If equality were quick and easy all of these companies would be showing incredible numbers. Instead, there is a lot of talk and waste. Middle managers talk about equality and diversity while still packing their teams with people that look just like them. People flying here and there blowing the budget on expensive programs instead of being allies to people at the company right here and now that need support.

The same goes for public-facing events. With all of the talk of no budget or headcount on a lot of teams. Why blow money on a fancy awards ceremony when the program isn't even one year old? (Google "Salesforce Equality Awards" and you'll find it.) You get great PR, get to expense a trip, get pictures with some influential people, pat yourselves on the back about how progressive you are, have a fancy and expensive party, and reward privileged people with an award. What you’re really doing blowing money that could be used to make a real difference by hiring people who’d shift the needle. Put that money to teams where they can aggressively pursue and hire diverse candidates and pay them a competitive wage. Build an incentive into the system: refer diverse candidates and get a bonus if they’re hired. Hold managers accountable when they pass over qualified diverse candidates.

Right now, what I'm seeing is lots of great PR, feel good moments, and no real moves shift the numbers.

Other points:

HR is pretty awful. Getting through a recruiting cycle takes forever in many cases: tons of candidates and lots of work for the recruiting team coupled with hiring managers and teams that don’t make moving the candidate through the pipeline a real priority. As a result, you have candidates languishing for weeks.

How they handle issues around budget and headcount is awful. Lots of last minute decision making and lots of demands without the matching budget so a lot of stress.

How they deal with contractors is the antithesis of the Ohana culture. They should really rethink and fix how they work with them.

Advice to Management

I write this because I care. I hope that they actually read it, take it seriously, and fix things now. This is an important moment for Salesforce.

I’m rooting for the company, and I hope to find a team where mismanagement, hypocrisy, and waste are at a minimum. Until then I realize how good I’ve got it, but, shake things up and fix it or else it’s going to get worse. It’s sad seeing a company that’s so magical lose a lot of what makes it great.

Salesforce Response

Apr 25, 2017 – EVP, Global Employee Success

Thank you for this detailed feedback. There are a lot of important points in your review, and I would love to meet with you to discuss your experiences in person. If you are open to it, please reach... More

"Tough on Working Parents"

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many things are great about Salesforce, in particular Marc's vision and passion for equality. Benefits are excellent.

Cons

The senior most managers at GM,
    EVP, SVP levels do not seem to align with the Ohana value which should include employee family obligations. I am part of a small group of women key or sole household earners who are also trying to be active parents. Several of us have been told that leaving early (to pick up my kids) is impacting our ability to be successful. While no one comes out and says "you cannot pick up your kids" you do get labeled and viewed as someone that does not work hard. This in despite of being on calls and on line at all hours (after kids are fed dinner and before they wake up). Working parents are part of creating a great culture - we should not be viewed as substandard for doing work and life.

Advice to Management

The Cloud Leaders, SVP level must embrace the true meaning of Ohana to include working parents. The unspoken penalty box for leaving early to pick kids up from school or participate in the cheering section of a basketball game is terrible. It has been a struggle to maintain work life balance and when you try it shows up either as a topic for improvement (be here more hours) during informal reviews or you just never get promoted.

Showing 452 of 3,584 reviews