Salesforce Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

San Francisco, CA

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
Cons
  • You can often struggle with your work/life balance based on the YoY high-growth demands (in 162 reviews)

• Fast paced, expect to be held to quota every month (in 90 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Senior Technology Architect in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technology Architect in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management is great and technology is constantly improving and innovating

Cons

Workload can be very high at times

"Still a lot of opportunity to learn, connect, and chart your own course, but Big Company culture is encroaching."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've spent over 8 years with Salesforce in various management and individual contributor roles, all customer or partner facing. Some of the pros:
    - vibrant, fast paced culture
    - smart, fun, aggressive colleagues
    - management is focused on latest tech trends and staying or becoming a leader for many of them
    - by and large, customers and partners are very positive about the technology
    - good benefits and perqs
    - hip urban culture at HQ
    - a chart-your-own-course mentality that rewards those who aggressively seek out the job they want and pursue it, or sometimes even create it

Cons

After my long tenure and many Dreamforce conferences, I'm nearly fried. To say the culture is fast paced and the focus is always changing is an understatement. The reason Salesforce always seems on top, and chasing the latest trend, and in the press, is because employees are expected to run harder, carry more, cheer loudly, and pivot constantly. It's the world's biggest startup in behavior. But at the same time, with the recent influx of top career sales leaders from Oracle and what appears to be a board-level mandate for doubling revenue, employees are being asked to do even more with even less, fill higher quotas with smaller territories, less help, and the big company bureaucracy is rearing it's ugly head.

Worse still is the politics. When you hire a bunch of smart, aggressive people, and put them in an environment of outsized expectations, throw in a bunch of re-orgs and changing management, and sprinkle with uncertainty and constantly changing priorities, you inevitably get people back stabbing each other and throwing others under the bus to appear smarter and more worthy of promotion.

The few at the top will get very, very rich. The rest will lose the sense of personal ownership and start to wonder why they've given up health and family

Advice to Management

The further you get from the foundational vision of creating great products and ensuring customer success, and instead recruit big company people focused on ego and self-promotion and growing a fiefdom, the more Salesforce starts to become just another Oracle or SAP or Microsoft. My sense is, that's what the board wants. If so, so be it. There will be another innovative and passionate startup to disrupt salesforce some day soon.

"Culture Whack-a-Mole"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time

Pros

Great pay, great offices, great benefits, free and healthy beverages and snacks, and fully staffed coffee bars. The 1-1-1 model of giving back and the company culture are just great. There are worse places to work for sure.

Cons

The Kool-Aid is powerful here and for good reason. Salesforce is a highly visible and very successful company led by a charismatic CEO coupled with an amazing culture. The yearly Dreamforce conference is a thing of wonder. Salesforce consistently ranks at the top of best places to work surveys and for good reason. There are HUGE plus points to being here.

However, there is some serious rot inside of the system around 1) the Ohana (family) culture, 2) inept middle management and a lack of transparency, and 3) equality (aka diversity and inclusion). I’m writing this now before I become too comfortable and too vested to speak up.

There have been many situations where Ohana is the opposite of what I’ve seen in many situations during my short time at Salesforce. Some people and teams are petty and hard to work with.

The Ohana culture comes from the top, and that’s a great thing. Marc Benioff has made some clear and newsworthy moves, which are great. However, the Ohana culture is hit or miss.

There are stories of people one level below Benioff treating other employees quite badly. Also, the company is growing so fast that people who ought not be managers are managers. The ranks are populated it with awful mid-level managers that seem to have no idea how to work with people and lack essential management knowledge and skills. The company is so fast-paced that it’s not possible to take the time needed to learn them either. It’s happened to me, and I’ve heard other first-hand accounts of people in the organization that deal with their co-workers with aggressiveness and passive-aggressiveness, politics, gossip, and a good amount of foot dragging or back-stabbing.

To his credit, when stories of bad behavior and mismanagement get to the top, Benioff shuts it down quickly. I’ve seen it, and the change that comes is swift. But it’s usually just a patch. However, the problem comes from exactly that. The company is growing at such a fast rate that he can’t catch all the rot in the system and make sure it’s fixed. Benioff and his team simply can’t see all of the problems that pop up in varying levels of the company. My feeling is also people don’t want to share the bad stuff with him.

It’s cultural-rot whack a mole. There is a new internal feedback app, but it feels like a bandaid when what’s really needed is surgery and physical therapy.

The culture discourages full transparency. If you complain you’re running a real risk of being ignored or scolded. I’ve seen that happen. After all, it’s one of the best places to work, right? Who are you to complain?! You better suck it up because tons of people really want to be here.

There isn’t any outright corporate warfare between employees and teams because that would be seen as too aggressive. That would be healthier and easier to resolve. What it means is there are a lot of sly maneuvers, working in silos, budget and headcount fights, and teams and co-workers that keep essential information from each other.

I don’t have much faith that their equality team and initiatives can really affect change. Some people on that team don’t have a track record of diversity and inclusion. How can you lead the charge on equality when it’s not an issue you’re vested in? You can’t claim equality is important when you don’t take the time to stop, listen, learn, and act.

The focus is on PR and there is an unrealistic focus on scale. Scale will follow when people can make intentional moves to bring people in. Those people will then refer their contacts. People will see diverse candidates joining and will want to follow. If equality were quick and easy all of these companies would be showing incredible numbers. Instead, there is a lot of talk and waste. Middle managers talk about equality and diversity while still packing their teams with people that look just like them. People flying here and there blowing the budget on expensive programs instead of being allies to people at the company right here and now that need support.

The same goes for public-facing events. With all of the talk of no budget or headcount on a lot of teams. Why blow money on a fancy awards ceremony when the program isn't even one year old? (Google "Salesforce Equality Awards" and you'll find it.) You get great PR, get to expense a trip, get pictures with some influential people, pat yourselves on the back about how progressive you are, have a fancy and expensive party, and reward privileged people with an award. What you’re really doing blowing money that could be used to make a real difference by hiring people who’d shift the needle. Put that money to teams where they can aggressively pursue and hire diverse candidates and pay them a competitive wage. Build an incentive into the system: refer diverse candidates and get a bonus if they’re hired. Hold managers accountable when they pass over qualified diverse candidates.

Right now, what I'm seeing is lots of great PR, feel good moments, and no real moves shift the numbers.

Other points:

HR is pretty awful. Getting through a recruiting cycle takes forever in many cases: tons of candidates and lots of work for the recruiting team coupled with hiring managers and teams that don’t make moving the candidate through the pipeline a real priority. As a result, you have candidates languishing for weeks.

How they handle issues around budget and headcount is awful. Lots of last minute decision making and lots of demands without the matching budget so a lot of stress.

How they deal with contractors is the antithesis of the Ohana culture. They should really rethink and fix how they work with them.

Advice to Management

I write this because I care. I hope that they actually read it, take it seriously, and fix things now. This is an important moment for Salesforce.

I’m rooting for the company, and I hope to find a team where mismanagement, hypocrisy, and waste are at a minimum. Until then I realize how good I’ve got it, but, shake things up and fix it or else it’s going to get worse. It’s sad seeing a company that’s so magical lose a lot of what makes it great.

Salesforce Response

Apr 25, 2017 – EVP, Global Employee Success

Thank you for this detailed feedback. There are a lot of important points in your review, and I would love to meet with you to discuss your experiences in person. If you are open to it, please reach ... More

5. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Solutions Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- we sell a product that works very well, that people want, that help businesses grow
    - management proactively works to push your career growth
    - personal development and volunteering are part of my annual KPIs
    - everyone in the room is always smarter than you are
    - great benefits

Cons

I could be greedy and ask for free food, but I'll settle with the free cafe and boujie coffee

Advice to Management

We go to market too early with some of our products. Customers are weary that new products we launch only have beta functionality.

Salesforce Response

Apr 22, 2017 – EVP, Global Employee Success

Thanks for such great feedback! Happy to see that you are using our V2MOM goal setting process to track your personal development and volunteering in the community. We want everyone here to have a ... More

"EBU Core SE"

Current Employee - Solutions Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Rock solid, high quality products
    Rapid pace of innovation
    Customers are generally very happy
    Benioff is a superstar CEO
    Very smart people work here across the board
    Salesforce is incredibly transparent.
    The V2MOM is a great tool for pivoting objectives. Salesforce reinvents itself every year
    Dedicated to equality for all employees, this is not BS hype but is real

Cons

Comp plans reward AE's, SE's not so much.
    High growth causes issues with quality of mid level management
    HQ/SF focus, remote employees seem to have a harder path to success
    Incredible title inflation, over thousand+ VPs
    Co-prime bus rolling into complex deals creates competing goals
    Need to proactively manage your career or you may get run over.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work on equality and work for more diversity.
    Don't let down the hiring standard of quality.
    Keep heavy focus on customer satisfaction
    Focus on how to reduce barriers to get customer to adopt acquired technologies
    Get Benioff in front of the rank and file more for some of that inspiration
    Create meaningful, non-managerial career paths

7. "Great Company, Horrible Team"

Former Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Salesforce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits
    1:1:1 model
    Looks good on your resume

Cons

Inept managers, toxic politics

I worked with "the creative group" within the marketing organization. The creative team is full of creatives that are half asleep and just there for the check. The team structure - product vertices, aka "clouds", paying for your position as a creative/ Program Manager/ media etc, but not considering a part of their cloud per se is weird and causes a lot of issues.
    Middle management in this group is inept on a good day. I feel like I actually lost ground on skill development while here.
    Overall some of the worst politics I've ever encountered.

Advice to Management

Stop turning a blind eye to poor management

8. "Great 401k, medical, ESPP, unlimited vacation; these are publicly available. Plus free snacks and drink including beer."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great friendly environment, lots of team and company events, all enjoyable. No meeting Thursday, possibility of working from home, shuttle bus.

Cons

It's fast paced company, with 3 releases every year, but that is not really a con for some people including me.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

9. "great company"

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce (More than a year)

Pros

great perks, company cares about non-company issues that matter, great at giving back, great work-life balance

Cons

sometimes job can be slow

"New Salesforce Engineer"

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are insane (vacation time, wellness reimbursement, donation matching, 401k, employee stock purchase plan, all kinds of insurance)

Good engineering challenges

Social atmosphere

Volunteer Time Off (56 hours per year)

Great work-life balance

Very collaborative, not passive-aggressive or toxic in any way

Very transparent about equality goals, "fair pay day" is a thing, people are generally comfortable being who they are without fearing criticism or judgment

(could be a con to some) very, very liberal workplace, very little room for conservative views, but no hostility toward those who do hold conservative views

Cons

People revere Marc Benioff a little too much

Strange Hawaiian theme (Salesforce "Ohana", cheesy company theme song)

Huge focus on the sales department, which can sometimes have a culture clash with engineering

Advice to Management

Maybe it's too far gone at this point, but the "Hawaiian" theme just kind of smacks of cultural appropriation

11. "This has been the best 5 years of my career"

Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company always does the right thing. Examples: Equal Pay for Women, Supporting Equal Rights in Indiana

Cons

It's hard to keep up with all of the new functionality released. Many new features in the product, released 3 times a year.

Advice to Management

More recruiting events at Historically Black Colleges and Universities.

Showing 913 of 2,946 reviews