Salesforce Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

San Francisco, CA

4.3

1,008 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Probably couldn't find a better work-life balance anywhere in the bay (in 246 reviews)

• The 1-1-1 model that allows us to volunteer up to 7 days per year (in 104 reviews)

Cons
  • You need to set your Work/Life balance (in 185 reviews)

• Fast paced environment - Must be a self starter (in 101 reviews)

"...still inspired!"

Current Employee - Account Executive, Financial Services in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive, Financial Services in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Even after 8 years, I'm still inspired by our core values of innovation and customer success!

Cons

It's a hard charging sales culture, however the support and resources SFDC give us to hit aggressive goals are there.

"Still a lot of opportunity to learn, connect, and chart your own course, but Big Company culture is encroaching."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've spent over 8 years with Salesforce in various management and individual contributor roles, all customer or partner facing. Some of the pros:
    - vibrant, fast paced culture
    - smart, fun, aggressive colleagues
    - management is focused on latest tech trends and staying or becoming a leader for many of them
    - by and large, customers and partners are very positive about the technology
    - good benefits and perqs
    - hip urban culture at HQ
    - a chart-your-own-course mentality that rewards those who aggressively seek out the job they want and pursue it, or sometimes even create it

Cons

After my long tenure and many Dreamforce conferences, I'm nearly fried. To say the culture is fast paced and the focus is always changing is an understatement. The reason Salesforce always seems on top, and chasing the latest trend, and in the press, is because employees are expected to run harder, carry more, cheer loudly, and pivot constantly. It's the world's biggest startup in behavior. But at the same time, with the recent influx of top career sales leaders from Oracle and what appears to be a board-level mandate for doubling revenue, employees are being asked to do even more with even less, fill higher quotas with smaller territories, less help, and the big company bureaucracy is rearing it's ugly head.

Worse still is the politics. When you hire a bunch of smart, aggressive people, and put them in an environment of outsized expectations, throw in a bunch of re-orgs and changing management, and sprinkle with uncertainty and constantly changing priorities, you inevitably get people back stabbing each other and throwing others under the bus to appear smarter and more worthy of promotion.

The few at the top will get very, very rich. The rest will lose the sense of personal ownership and start to wonder why they've given up health and family

Advice to Management

The further you get from the foundational vision of creating great products and ensuring customer success, and instead recruit big company people focused on ego and self-promotion and growing a fiefdom, the more Salesforce starts to become just another Oracle or SAP or Microsoft. My sense is, that's what the board wants. If so, so be it. There will be another innovative and passionate startup to disrupt salesforce some day soon.

3. "The Best In The Game"

Current Employee - Assistant Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best culture I've ever had at work, especially coming from financial companies

Cons

People can be extremely competitive.

"Marketing Manager"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic senior leadership with lots of growth opportunities. A challenging but rewarding work environment with great team members.

Cons

The work can be demanding, requiring 60 and 70 hour weeks at times depending on the season (business reviews, product launches, events, etc.).

Advice to Management

Strategically review the ratio of resource allocation of mid to senior tier employees compared to junior / entry level ones. We're a bit top heavy in certain areas and need more man power at the bottom rungs.

5. "Senior Director"

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a great place to work. Employees are very happy here for lots of good reasons.

Cons

It is becoming very large and lots of people will struggle to feel the same excitement as they did when they joined.

Advice to Management

Keep the small start up feel wherever you can and empower employees to work on personally fulfilling projects

6. "World's Most Innovative and Fun Company"

Current Intern - Associate Technical Program Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Intern - Associate Technical Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

+ talented people
    + business is booming
    + culture of purpose and values
    + work/life balance oriented on employee success
    + career opportunities
    + volunteer opportunities and benefits
    + i love it here

Cons

- the Salesforce product has a learning curve

Advice to Management

pursue growth as #1 priority, but try to get managers and engineers to simplify the product

7. "Love the experience so far."

Current Employee - Associate Member of Technical Staff in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Member of Technical Staff in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working at Salesforce. The company is doing really well and thereby the morale is really high. My manager was really understanding about my background and lets me take classes during work that will allow me to be a better programmer. My team is really supportive and full of very smart people who are always willing to help teach me.

Cons

There should be free food :(

Advice to Management

Nothing so far.

"Lot of change, lots of fun"

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Customer-obsessed company, fast-moving. Always looking for the next new thing in customer engagement

Cons

Product management leadership focused on flash instead of substance

9. "Love it here so much, growing quickly"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture here is great, definitely one of the best parts. I am proud to work here and love the message we put out to everyone about giving back, equality, etc. I've done some of my best work and grown so much in the few years of working here, it really has been a #dreamjob. So many smart and driven people around me who inspire me daily.

Cons

Lots of internal politics, no surprise at any big company this isn't Salesforce specific it happens everywhere. Promos are about timing mainly.

"Senior Program Developer"

Former Employee - Senior Integration Expert in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Integration Expert in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Salesforce full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

OnBoarding is nice, your brought into the company, and after being at Oracle for 12 years, it felt like a breath of fresh air. Pay is average, but the stock options and employee stock purchase plan is well put together. Agile, and SLDC is practiced. You can work remote, with light travel.

Cons

I was recruited from Oracle, as many, many before and probably after me have also been. There is a large amount of Oracle like legacy. But to give the company credit, it is a lot less dysfunctional. But I am a Java coder, product developer so I am going to skip wether their management styles are better or worse. As an engineer I thought, Cool : Heroku, SalesForce1 Mobile SDK, but I had very limited usage of these products. Heroku, they are somewhat lost on what to do with the acquisition, for the integration of some projects, we ended up using AWS EC2, and not even bothering to use Heroku. And SalesForce1 is essentially is a PhoneGap/Cordova fork, without having to worry about CORS issues when working with Salesforce REST API's. Lets get to the real issue here, APEX is a subset of Java, with 3 datatypes : Map, List and Sets, That's it. A very dumbed down version of Java. APEX is an abstraction on Oracle Triggers, gross. It really was like seeing some pathetic figure behind the curtain in Wizard of the Oz. Technically I expected much more from Salesforce, but it's heavy on ease of use. There is a lot of posturing at that company, people front like they are a "Data Scientist" or a "Machine Learning Experts" Then when I look at resumes, I see a lot of liberal art degrees, behind the titles. I think it's a good company, but if you are growing and learning, I am not sure this is the company to do that at, maybe to polish up your resume. I left Salesforce, contracted for a year, before coming aboard Red Hat and the rates for APEX development, Salesforce work was much lower than core Java, Node.JS, or Android/IOS dev work, it was kind of a Cul de Sac in my career. I got to be part of the Ohana culture, and I got some cool T Shirts, but somewhat underwhelmed.

Advice to Management

Thats a tough one for me to put out there, I think maybe more real honest to god case study white papers and projects with integration between Twillio, Tableau,, Native Android and reach out to those communities. Give more love to Heroku

Showing 1,008 of 3,572 reviews