Salesforce Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

San Francisco, CA Area

4.3

1,050 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Probably couldn't find a better work-life balance anywhere in the bay (in 246 reviews)

• The 1-1-1 model that allows us to volunteer up to 7 days per year (in 104 reviews)

Cons
  • You need to set your Work/Life balance (in 185 reviews)

• Fast paced environment - Must be a self starter (in 101 reviews)

"...still inspired!"

Current Employee - Account Executive, Financial Services in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive, Financial Services in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Even after 8 years, I'm still inspired by our core values of innovation and customer success!

Cons

It's a hard charging sales culture, however the support and resources SFDC give us to hit aggressive goals are there.

"Still a lot of opportunity to learn, connect, and chart your own course, but Big Company culture is encroaching."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've spent over 8 years with Salesforce in various management and individual contributor roles, all customer or partner facing. Some of the pros:
    - vibrant, fast paced culture
    - smart, fun, aggressive colleagues
    - management is focused on latest tech trends and staying or becoming a leader for many of them
    - by and large, customers and partners are very positive about the technology
    - good benefits and perqs
    - hip urban culture at HQ
    - a chart-your-own-course mentality that rewards those who aggressively seek out the job they want and pursue it, or sometimes even create it

Cons

After my long tenure and many Dreamforce conferences, I'm nearly fried. To say the culture is fast paced and the focus is always changing is an understatement. The reason Salesforce always seems on top, and chasing the latest trend, and in the press, is because employees are expected to run harder, carry more, cheer loudly, and pivot constantly. It's the world's biggest startup in behavior. But at the same time, with the recent influx of top career sales leaders from Oracle and what appears to be a board-level mandate for doubling revenue, employees are being asked to do even more with even less, fill higher quotas with smaller territories, less help, and the big company bureaucracy is rearing it's ugly head.

Worse still is the politics. When you hire a bunch of smart, aggressive people, and put them in an environment of outsized expectations, throw in a bunch of re-orgs and changing management, and sprinkle with uncertainty and constantly changing priorities, you inevitably get people back stabbing each other and throwing others under the bus to appear smarter and more worthy of promotion.

The few at the top will get very, very rich. The rest will lose the sense of personal ownership and start to wonder why they've given up health and family

Advice to Management

The further you get from the foundational vision of creating great products and ensuring customer success, and instead recruit big company people focused on ego and self-promotion and growing a fiefdom, the more Salesforce starts to become just another Oracle or SAP or Microsoft. My sense is, that's what the board wants. If so, so be it. There will be another innovative and passionate startup to disrupt salesforce some day soon.

"Good company but disorganized in a lot of ways"

Former Employee - Technical Producer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Producer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Salesforce full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Benefits
    - Perks
    - Good for career advancement
    - Laidback culture
    - Flexibility
    - High salary
    - Bonus structure

Cons

- Unnecessary and lengthy trainings for new hires
    - Many people are not direct and will talk behind your back
    - They expect you to immediately adapt to the pace of the account you're on, even if you're coming from a different industry
    - Managers want you to create problems to discuss in check-in meetings just so they can feel important
    - Unreasonable expectations for you to meet billable hours requirement, plus take VTO, plus complete unnecessary trainings through Trailhead
    - Not doing enough to ensure that the employees uphold the tenets of trust and communication

Advice to Management

I just want to elaborate on a few of my answers above. Regarding my manager, I don't feel she handled things well from the start. When I first started the job, she was out of the country and so nobody knew where I was even supposed to go on my first day (after orientation). This was extremely disorganized. I was coming from a publishing background, and so I was used to a much different pace of work. It's not like I can't work fast; I definitely can. But I was assigned to an account at Salesforce which was one of the most difficult and fast-paced accounts; it was a mess when I started and they were expecting me and another person to clean up the processes. It was difficult for me to adjust to this pace and workload initially, and I felt nobody else understood that. I would get blamed for making small mistakes or not responding quickly enough, when they all knew that I was very new to this and doing my best to keep up. There was no understanding there. And if I'm coming from a different background, why would I be assigned to such a difficult account in the first place? That's just setting me up for failure. Furthermore, I often felt that my manager dwelled excessively on small mistakes I made (which had already been resolved with the parties they concerned), and this took time away from me doing my work to answer unnecessary questions. Whenever I did things well or felt I accomplished something important for the account, such as writing complex dynamic logic correctly, or staying late to finish an email, or increasing my billable hours, she didn't spend nearly as much time acknowledging these things as she did focusing on other small mistakes. As far as my coworkers, while I did get along well with them, I felt many of them (even campaign managers) went behind my back and tattled on me instead of working out issues with me face-to-face. I would only hear about these from my manager much later instead of from the people involved. For a company that prides itself on transparency and communication, so many of the employees simply don't adhere to these principles. Also, whenever I had questions about how to do something or something I didn't understand, I would ask one coworker who was in the same role as me. I was encouraged by my manager to ask her questions as needed since she is more senior to me. However, after asking her, I would later hear from my manager that she told her that she was concerned I didn't know certain things (and many of these accusations were not true since she misinterpreted my questions). This didn't make me feel comfortable at all. Isn't Salesforce all about collaboration and helping one another succeed? I don't get this from anyone on my team and I don't feel I can trust them at all. Despite all these issues, I feel I did a really good job for Salesforce and I think the quality of my work reflected that. I am glad I had this experience and was given this opportunity, but I just wish it had worked out better than it did.

Advice:
    Do more to foster trust and communication among employees, not just employees and clients
    Set new employees up for success by working with them to adapt their strengths and weaknesses
    Spend less time on generic orientation and exams, and more time training them for the role they've been hired to fill

4. "The Best In The Game"

Current Employee - Assistant Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best culture I've ever had at work, especially coming from financial companies

Cons

People can be extremely competitive.

"Marketing Manager"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic senior leadership with lots of growth opportunities. A challenging but rewarding work environment with great team members.

Cons

The work can be demanding, requiring 60 and 70 hour weeks at times depending on the season (business reviews, product launches, events, etc.).

Advice to Management

Strategically review the ratio of resource allocation of mid to senior tier employees compared to junior / entry level ones. We're a bit top heavy in certain areas and need more man power at the bottom rungs.

6. "Senior Director"

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a great place to work. Employees are very happy here for lots of good reasons.

Cons

It is becoming very large and lots of people will struggle to feel the same excitement as they did when they joined.

Advice to Management

Keep the small start up feel wherever you can and empower employees to work on personally fulfilling projects

7. "World's Most Innovative and Fun Company"

Current Intern - Associate Technical Program Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Intern - Associate Technical Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

+ talented people
    + business is booming
    + culture of purpose and values
    + work/life balance oriented on employee success
    + career opportunities
    + volunteer opportunities and benefits
    + i love it here

Cons

- the Salesforce product has a learning curve

Advice to Management

pursue growth as #1 priority, but try to get managers and engineers to simplify the product

8. "Love the experience so far."

Current Employee - Associate Member of Technical Staff in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Member of Technical Staff in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working at Salesforce. The company is doing really well and thereby the morale is really high. My manager was really understanding about my background and lets me take classes during work that will allow me to be a better programmer. My team is really supportive and full of very smart people who are always willing to help teach me.

Cons

There should be free food :(

Advice to Management

Nothing so far.

"Lot of change, lots of fun"

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Customer-obsessed company, fast-moving. Always looking for the next new thing in customer engagement

Cons

Product management leadership focused on flash instead of substance

10. "Love it here so much, growing quickly"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture here is great, definitely one of the best parts. I am proud to work here and love the message we put out to everyone about giving back, equality, etc. I've done some of my best work and grown so much in the few years of working here, it really has been a #dreamjob. So many smart and driven people around me who inspire me daily.

Cons

Lots of internal politics, no surprise at any big company this isn't Salesforce specific it happens everywhere. Promos are about timing mainly.

Showing 1,050 of 3,577 reviews