Salinas Valley Memorial Reviews | Glassdoor

Pete Delgado

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Administrative Assistant"

I worked at Salinas Valley Memorial full-time

Pros

A great place to work, with good benefits and pay.

Cons

Job advancement can be based on favoritism.

2. "Registered Nurse"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Monterey, CA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Monterey, CA

I worked at Salinas Valley Memorial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed working with in my local community, not traveling too far for employment, more family time.

Cons

Local past patients seeing me around town and asking for medical advice.

3. "Great place"

I have been working at Salinas Valley Memorial full-time

Pros

Very supportive staff and management

Cons

For now everything is great

4. "Grateful for this opportunity"

Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist
    Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist

I have been working at Salinas Valley Memorial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have had the experience of delivering my baby in this hospital; the staff was compassionate and caring. Since then I told myself I would love to work in this kind of environment. I have now the privilege to work here. I first started as a temporary employee and then when the opportunity arose, the team I worked with encouraged me to apply. During the interview process I learned a lot about different departments. I was introduced to many directors and managers who have served the hospital for many years and are really committed to their staff, patients and the organization. I have not experienced this teamwork and pride in my different employment experiences. I am definitely exited; grateful and optimistic of my future ahead as a new employee of this great organization.

Cons

I have not experience any cons.

Advice to Management

Look forward to working with you in making SVMH one of the most attractive employers in the Central Coast.

5. "Best Place to Work!"

I have been working at Salinas Valley Memorial full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salinas Valley Memorial Hospital truly cares for its employees and patients. In addition to recognizing staff for delivering high quality patient care, the Hospital management listens to employees and takes action for improving whatever is needed. With the partnerships the Hospital is forming in the local healthcare community and growing opportunities, they are on the map as the best place I've worked.

Cons

I cannot think of any.

Advice to Management

Thank you for all of the opportunities provided to Hospital employees and for taking the time to recognize even the little things. Please continue to provide high quality care for our community residents.

"What is going to take?"

Current Employee - Staff RN in Salinas, CA
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Salinas, CA

I have been working at Salinas Valley Memorial full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

We have good benefits. Great qualified employees. Despite cuts, we are still pulling together for the good of the patients.

Cons

Greediness has taken over administration members that only think of making themselves richer and richer at the cost of the employees morale.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and motivate employees with your good actions rather than by pushing them around. Karma is coming after yuo...

7. "Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salinas, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salinas, CA

I have been working at Salinas Valley Memorial full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Visibility by KSBW and patient safety. Most employees work well together and share knowledge. Negotiations are still ongoing with unions.

Cons

There are many unforeseen layoffs where the dictates and lies of directors is never reviewed by any higher authority. Employees feel the HR Department is useless because it always sides with management staff, employees have no recourse. Don't waste your time.

Advice to Management

Look at the integrity of your direct reports.

8. "Hospital is recovering from changes resulting from budget cuts."

Pros

Small community hospital that is invested in the needs of the community it serves.

Cons

Budget cuts and changes in administration.

Advice to Management

Transparency is key in tumultuous times.

"Very good learning experience - notsogood for growth"

Pros

Doing something I knew was valuable and useful for our physicians and the patients they care for.

Cons

Sorry to say it, but working within the confines of union rules can create an environment within departments where people are encouraged to do the bare minimum, good workers who REALLY care and go above and beyond requirements are let go, while others (simply because they've been there longer) are allowed to stay in their positions - in some instances, good workers are blatantly ostracized or retaliated against simply for suggesting process improvements.

Advice to Management

We are in a very unique position with all of the new technology being implemented - my advice to management is to listen to employees ON THE FRONT LINES who are forward thinkers and want to contribute more. Some of us have "above and beyond" in our blood and we're being stifled by poor management and outdated policies. It's a shame that we're so good in so many areas and so terrible in other areas - it doesn't have to be that way! We can be leaders, if you have the right people on your team.

"For 15 years was a great place to work"

I worked at Salinas Valley Memorial full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Patients received very good care from the nurses to the diet clerks that delivered there food to the who clean their rooms to the techs the in the various labs that process lab for doctors to make assessments for patient longevity - employees walk around w/ smiles on their faces!!!

Cons

We all miss Sam Downing

Advice to Management

Obtain variety of opinions & suggestions from staff b4 making decisions so they don't have to waste money & time backtracking to correct decisions - procedures - & equipment...