Sallie Mae Financial Analyst Reviews | Glassdoor

0 Rating
  1. "Financial Analyst"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Sallie Mae full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

nice benefits and competitive salary

Cons

not enough career advancement options

Advice to Management

none

Sallie Mae2016-10-13

"Stay Away from Sallie Mae"

Financial Analyst in Newton, MA

I worked at Sallie Mae

Pros

For me it was the location - 10 mins ride to work was amazing - but this would not apply to everyone.

Cons

Horrible benefits all around - from time off to medical which had very high deductibles and only 75% coverage. I had the worst manager of my career by FAR which pushed me out of there after a year. I would have left sooner if my home life would have allowed. The discouraging part was to find out that I was the 3rd or 4th analyst to leave due to this manager. The pattern and feedback to HR did not change a thing - in fact, she was promoted.

Advice to Management

To keep good people, you need good benefits and career paths. HR should recognize patters of abusive managers.

Sallie Mae2015-05-26
  3. "Expect possible layoffs and lots of office politics."

I worked at Sallie Mae

Pros

Decent benefits and compensation. Some promotional opportunities if you are willing to give up a lot personal family time (probably not a big issue if you are single).

Cons

Very political atmosphere. Really need a mentor (someone in your senior management chain who likes you and appreciates your work) to have the best opportunities for advancement. People who just work hard and try to do their job (but don't really play office politics) are often not rewarded.

Advice to Management

Take steps to eliminate the "boys club" atmosphere. Too many people are promoted based on who they know, or who they are friends with in senior management, instead of their contributions to the organization.

Sallie Mae2010-09-03

"Sinking Ship"

I have been working at Sallie Mae

Pros

There are no good reasons right now.

Cons

The current CEO wants to cut expenses and sell the company as soon as he can. There is no planning for the future, absolutely no employee development, and irrational product development. Along with the constant series of layoffs, it is a dismal place to work. Sallie Mae is currently going through the process of reducing employee benefits and freezing salaries. At the same time, the CEO and the friends he has just brought over from MBNA have record compensation packages.

Advice to Management

Focus on creating a good product (in this case appropriately priced loans), not on large deals, going private, and other distractions. You can't have the latter without the former.

Sallie Mae2008-08-19
  5. "Work life balance is good, but pay is not good."

I have been working at Sallie Mae

Pros

There are some very bright people here to learn from and grow. The work like balance is strong with recognition that time with family is an important aspect of job satisfaction.

Cons

The salary is not very competitive. The company is going through some difficult times so some departments have little job security. The future profitability of the federal guarantee loan business is also in question so that makes the long term attractiveness of working at the company questionable.

Advice to Management

To compensate their employees at a much closer rate to their market value. And to communicate with them about their performance and expectations.

Sallie Mae2008-06-17