Sallie Mae Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sallie Mae Chairman & CEO Raymond J Quinlan
Raymond J Quinlan
1 Rating

Pros
  • Great people, flexible with vacations, understand work/life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Good benefits, easygoing and respectful atmosphere, yearly salary increases, and a lot of holiday pay (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor pay, long hours, mandatory overtime (in 9 reviews)

• Operations Upper Management doesn't let leaders lead (in 9 reviews)

1. "Application Analyst II"

Former Employee - Applications Analyst II in Muncie, IN
    Former Employee - Applications Analyst II in Muncie, IN

I worked at Sallie Mae (Less than a year)

Pros

Complex projects, arious technologies and sound governance

Cons

Compensation needs to be reevaluated. There is not room for career growth. This is a very top heavy organization.

2. "Private Student Loan Specialist"

Former Employee - Private Student Loan Specialist in Newark, DE
    Former Employee - Private Student Loan Specialist in Newark, DE

I worked at Sallie Mae (More than a year)

Pros

Tight knit with the agent and most supervisors.

Cons

Not organized. Lacking communication and structure on the main level of being in sales to provide loans to students and cosigners for college. Upper management was rarely available to have a presence in the department. Morale was very low.

3. "People in my department were great, but pay was bad."

Former Employee - Accountant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Accountant in Boston, MA

Pros

The people were nice to work with.

Cons

The pay wasn't good and there wasn't a lot of growth opportunities.

Advice to Management

Identify great employees and offer growth opportunities.

4. "Collection Specialist"

Former Employee - Collections Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Sallie Mae full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros of this job are the bonuses and benefits. Some benefits started the first day of employment. A top performer can make really good money. Always having contest.

Cons

They do not care about their employees. If you are spending day in and night there, then they love. But as soon as you dont hit bonus, they will fire you. The overtime was unlimited. You had to work over 40 hours in order to make goal.

Advice to Management

Stop changing things so frequently. Start caring about your employees, especially the good, dedicated employees.

5. "Sallie Mae helped me to gain more customer service experience, but failed to make me feel like I was valued."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fishers, IN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fishers, IN

I worked at Sallie Mae full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They do give monthly bonuses if you meet your goal and they will help you pay for tuition if it directly relates to something they can use. They offered lots of overtime as well.

Cons

It is very hard to move up. Contrary to belief, many of the customer service reps and collectors have degrees and are hoping to gain a different position in the future; however the opportunities are not there. They don't give very fair breaks and it's really hard to make a suggestion because they don't listen to it much.

Advice to Management

ALthough bonuses are great, if you don't make them attainable then you will continue to have a high turnover rate within the company. Also, don't continue to say there's tons of opportunities to move up when there isn't. No one wants to go from a customer service rep, to a Level 2 customer service rep....there's no difference in the work.

6. "avoid collections"

Former Employee - Collections Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Sallie Mae full-time (More than a year)

Pros

benefits, the team work and the parties or get together that were had. It was a nice break.

Cons

skip tracing, pushing people into unaffordable payments. Not letting people know when they are allowed to file for loan to be paid off due to permanent disability.

Advice to Management

Stop making the goals be so high and focus on the loan holder, take a close look at your collections dept. & those who really do well...FDCPA is there for a reason

"Job OK, Management TERRIBLE"

Former Employee - Collections Specialist in Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Former Employee - Collections Specialist in Wilkes-Barre, PA

I worked at Sallie Mae full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The job is easy as a collections agent. The benefits are really good and premium isn't bad.

Cons

The training is terrible and extremely short. What you learn in training and what management wants is completely different and changes daily. Management is a disgrace, especially my manager. She was 20 years old, which wouldn't normally be a problem, but she was completely incompetent and had NO people skills. The co-workers are miserable, but I can understand why. Their systems and SOP's are beyond messed up. No leadership or communication. Just really a bad place for someone who has a brain.

Advice to Management

Fire yourself and every manager below you and start fresh. You have some great collections specialists but morale is so low because management is so bad.

8. "Definitely not the right fit for me"

Former Employee - Collector I in Muncie, IN
    Former Employee - Collector I in Muncie, IN

I worked at Sallie Mae full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They provide benefits, 401K, bonuses, prizes, paid time off, training provided, team player attitude

Cons

basically you have 2 goals to hit for the month, if you're between calls for more than one minute making notes, you get yelled at to answer calls or make them. You're sitting all day long, calling people for money. I hated it because I didn't like sitting all day, and the number of times that some people got calls from us was ridiculous. I got yelled at daily, cried at, someone accused me of having an affair with their husband when I called. you're required to work 40 hours, 44 every other week. yeah you get paid vacation, but good luck still hitting your goal if you do take that vacation. And they have prize givaways for performance, but to be honest, i doubt anyone would stay there if they didn't

Advice to Management

Find more options for borrowers, because you can't get blood from a turnip and frankly, a lot of people do not have the money to make the payments that are asked of them.

9. "Layoff Threats are a constant"

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Newark, DE
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Newark, DE

I worked at Sallie Mae full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Gym was nice most of the time

Cons

Used to be good 5 years ago, but everything went downhill once they moved the HQ

10. "Can't get out of their own way"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Fishers, IN
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Fishers, IN

I worked at Sallie Mae full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great salary and benefits. Pretty good people for the most part. Telecommuting is a real plus but not well managed.

Cons

Poor, poor Company management. Penny wise and dollar foolish. Just look at FDR.
    They don't follow their own values. If the shareholders were aware of the money wasted they would vote out the entire board. And the CEO should have retired when he blew the FLOWERS DEAL.

Advice to Management

Get some management that actually cares about the company, values and it's people. Get a CEO that can be the face of the company (and can handle public speaking).