Sallie Mae Reviews | Glassdoor

Sallie Mae Reviews

Updated February 15, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great people, flexible with vacations, understand work/life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Good benefits, easygoing and respectful atmosphere, yearly salary increases, and a lot of holiday pay (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • You work for a student loan company but your degrees and certifications are not acknowledged (in 11 reviews)

• Poor pay, long hours, mandatory overtime (in 9 reviews)

"Absolutely the worst employer! Unless this is your last stop stay away from the PA center!!"

Current Employee - Back Office in Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Current Employee - Back Office in Wilkes-Barre, PA

I have been working at Sallie Mae full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I'm being perfectly honest .. not much.. decent cafeteria

Cons

Poor back office management, advancement comes from popular vote, not by tenure. In fact, your co-workers and management will be so nosy that they will start to pry into your personal life and then judge you. In addition, they will walk around with conceit on how much better they are than everyone else, at least the " norm" not everyone, or the call center.

Advice to Management

If I were to start the well would be run dry.. but they should start to realize that people are human beings.

2. "Default Prevention Specialist/Outreach Counselor"

Former Employee - Default Prevention/Outreach Counselor in Muncie, IN
    Former Employee - Default Prevention/Outreach Counselor in Muncie, IN

I worked at Sallie Mae full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Bonus Commissions, Prizes and Incentives, Good Benefits, Fun Work Environment with employees, Café on site, Gym on site

Cons

Management has went downhill and doesn't really care about their employees. It was different years ago when they actually valued company culture. It's all about gossip and who can kiss the most to move up in the company. If you try to complain about things that are happening that is wrong, they will FIRE YOU. It's all about brown nosing, cheating to get more bonus money and keeping your mouth shut and just doing your job.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with more respect and like they are apart of the team. Stop wanting employees to brown nose to move up in the company. Treat employees the same and stop the favoritism. Value more of the company culture and morals and values.

3. "Sucks"

Pros

Nothing good about this company.

Cons

Crooks and selfish pompous CEO and employees think they can steal all your hard earned money and even think they can get away from taking out money from your own tax return sorry no if we wanted to pay you we would. STOP STEALING FROM THE PEOPLE OF AMERCIA YOU ARE LOUSY CROOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advice to Management

Just fired yourselves and shut down. STOP STEALING FROM PEOPLES TAX RETURNS!

"Worked in loan servicing in "Student Assistance Corporation." Wouldn't advise"

Former Employee - Collections Specialist in Fishers, IN
    Former Employee - Collections Specialist in Fishers, IN

I worked at Sallie Mae full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you could actually hit your goal of brought current loans the bonus was nice.

Cons

Everyone who made goal stole loans from other people. Also very depressing when you couldnt help someone.

Advice to Management

give people who cant make goal every month a chance instead of firing them.

"too much favoritism and not enough regularity. Supervisors too inexperienced for job descriptions."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Muncie, IN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Muncie, IN

I worked at Sallie Mae full-time (More than a year)

Pros

bonuses were ok when done fairly

Cons

too strict work environment, not consistent with policies, supervisors gossip too much.

Advice to Management

get it together, high turn over rate means something is wrong. Be consistant with all employees. Stop the gossiping amoungst yourselves.

"Not good"

Former Employee - CRS Specialist in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - CRS Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Sallie Mae full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benifits, nice work environment with co workers

Cons

They will fire you and not blink. NO one should have to go to work everyday and worry if your going to have a job.

Advice to Management

You should take a look at your quality in your employees not the quantity. Take a look at your dedicated employees. NO one is perfect especially when you have a goal to meet.

"Meat Grinder"

Former Employee - Call Center in Fishers, IN
    Former Employee - Call Center in Fishers, IN

I worked at Sallie Mae full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Building easy to access and free parking

Cons

Discouraged employees talking. Training long but didn't prepare you for the job. Most call center staff don't last a year. Are suppose to get callers off the phone within 3 seconds and still give good service! Bonus for those who got through the most calls in the least amount of time. Call Center staff not treated the same as other staff. Felt like red headed step child. Thank God I got offered a better job elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Since you now have a new name how about a new attitude toward call center staff.

"Thieves"

I have been working at Sallie Mae full-time

Pros

They are the worst company to work for. They steal from young adults who just want to make a living and pester them until they have no more to give.

Cons

None. Worst company to work for and I hope they go bankrupt. We need a system overhaul in this country, but with the "American Dream" being sold to us at a young age, that will take awhile.

"Stay Away from Sallie Mae"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Newton, MA

Pros

For me it was the location - 10 mins ride to work was amazing - but this would not apply to everyone.

Cons

Horrible benefits all around - from time off to medical which had very high deductibles and only 75% coverage. I had the worst manager of my career by FAR which pushed me out of there after a year. I would have left sooner if my home life would have allowed. The discouraging part was to find out that I was the 3rd or 4th analyst to leave due to this manager. The pattern and feedback to HR did not change a thing - in fact, she was promoted.

Advice to Management

To keep good people, you need good benefits and career paths. HR should recognize patters of abusive managers.

11. "Used to be good..."

Pros

After the company split, there are no real pros.

Cons

Leadership seemed to be incompetent and did not engage their employees in anything. No team meetings about where the team or company was directed. Moved people into director positions that had no business being there.