Sallie Mae "call center" Reviews | Glassdoor

Sallie Mae Employee Reviews about "call center"

Updated 13 Oct 2019

3.6
Sallie Mae CEO Raymond J Quinlan
Raymond J Quinlan
Pros
Cons
  • "You will work long hours frequently(in 15 reviews)

• "Work in call center that has no windows(in 10 reviews)

Reviews about "call center"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Good Place to Work"

Customer Care Agent in Fishers, IN

I worked at Sallie Mae

Pros

The salary is fair for the position. Most positions have weekends off and the latest shift end time is 9 pm. Also, this location had several conveniences on-site, such as a store and a buffet-style cafeteria.

Cons

As anyone who has ever worked at a call center knows, the call center life can become very redundant as the day to day is the same.

Advice to Management

Spend more time with agents and less time hiding behind the desk. The only complaint that I have about my experience at Sallie Mae is that the supervisors did not spend much time with their agents.

Sallie Mae2012-04-25
  2. "Summer intern"

Former Intern - Summer Associate

I worked at Sallie Mae for less than a year

Pros

Improved communication skills and interpersonal relations

Cons

Work in call center that has no windows

Sallie Mae2019-10-14
  3. "Not too bad for a call center job"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Sallie Mae full-time for less than a year

Pros

Best paying call center I've ever worked for. Overall nice environment and friendly coworkers. Good management.

Cons

Stressing job, dealing with angry customers all-day. Dumb rules at the call center: no food, no cellphones

Sallie Mae2019-10-09

"Good company until Student Loan Bill ruined it."

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Fishers, IN

I worked at Sallie Mae full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexible hours if you aren't in an hourly, call center position. Good salary and benefits Local office autonomy Bonus structure was good

Cons

Making decisions based on stockholders and not employees Too attached to stock price and not what the best decision was for the business

Advice to Management

Do what's right for customers and employees, not just for stockholders and Wall Street analysts. Keep taking care of employees.

Sallie Mae2016-12-11
  5. "Review is based on pre-split from Navient"

in Newark, DE

I worked at Sallie Mae for more than 10 years

Pros

They have good benefits, they pay fairly well and the medical benefits were reasonably priced. I did like the fact that at the time they tiered the cost of medical insurance placed on the employee based on income so that call center people were not paying the same as executives for the same insurance.

Cons

Tied too closely to political environment which drives their ability to do their jobs as needed.

Sallie Mae2016-09-27

"Meat Grinder"

Former Employee - Call Center in Fishers, IN

I worked at Sallie Mae full-time for less than a year

Pros

Building easy to access and free parking

Cons

Discouraged employees talking. Training long but didn't prepare you for the job. Most call center staff don't last a year. Are suppose to get callers off the phone within 3 seconds and still give good service! Bonus for those who got through the most calls in the least amount of time. Call Center staff not treated the same as other staff. Felt like red headed step child. Thank God I got offered a better job... elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Since you now have a new name how about a new attitude toward call center staff.

Sallie Mae2014-10-27

"Not too bad, as much as we complained"

Current Employee - Default Prevention/Outreach Counselor in Muncie, IN

I have been working at Sallie Mae full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits were nice. Insurance, 401k, paid time off, etc were great compared to other companies I have worked for. Incentive pay (bonus) for the group I worked for was low, but not competitive. There is some room to grow in the company. The bosses for the most part are willing to listen

Cons

There are some major issues with the systems we work with, working in a call center can be stressful especially when the people you call are hateful

Sallie Mae2014-05-11

"Absolutely the worst employer! Unless this is your last stop stay away from the PA center!!"

Current Employee - Back Office in Wilkes-Barre, PA

I have been working at Sallie Mae full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I'm being perfectly honest .. not much.. decent cafeteria

Cons

Poor back office management, advancement comes from popular vote, not by tenure. In fact, your co-workers and management will be so nosy that they will start to pry into your personal life and then judge you. In addition, they will walk around with conceit on how much better they are than everyone else, at least the " norm" not everyone, or the call center.

Advice to Management

If I were to start the well would be run dry.. but they should start to realize that people are human beings.

Sallie Mae2013-11-14
  9. "Good place to start in a professional work place"

Customer Service Representative in Killeen, TX

I worked at Sallie Mae

Pros

Good professional work environment, onsite gym and cafeteria. very supportive of education as long as it does not interfer with work. Lots of employer sponsored moral type events. They do hire seasonal employees so its a good job for a college student. Pay was decent as seasonal. $10 hr.

Cons

Its a call center so it can be unpredictable work hours. Shift bids based on attendance and performace which can be downside if you are a newbie. Most people are locked to set hours for 6 month periods of time until next shift bid which is done based on attendance, performance and ranking with peers.

Advice to Management

None I was pleased

Sallie Mae2009-01-15
  10. "Would be great with a little less micro-managing...."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Sallie Mae full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Pay was great for a call center job - My supervisor was great - Nice co-workers

Cons

- During peak season, the micro-managing from the upper tier of management at the call center got pretty annoying - Upper management in the servicing department couldn't seem to decide how they wanted everything to be organized - Mandatory overtime during peak season - A lot of turnover in the call center, but not outside of it, so it's hard to move elsewhere or up in the company

Advice to Management

Don't let your more capable and knowledgeable employees take on extra responsibility only to decide a few months later that the company is wasting money in doing so. Create small groups to test out some of the ideas you're considering implementing before changing everything around center-wide several times in the middle of peak season.

Sallie Mae2012-06-21