Sally Beauty Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sally Beauty CEO Chris Brickman
Chris Brickman

Pros
  • Free products each month to try plus an excellent employee discount (in 114 reviews)

• 20% employee discount is a plus (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, I think they should get rid of the scratch's offs (in 61 reviews)

• Upper management is hard to find and not held accountable (in 52 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Sales associate"

Pros

Easy friendly ppl and discount

Cons

Some customers are really rude

2. "Growing and Learning Company"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Turnersville, NJ
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Turnersville, NJ

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I was with Sally Beauty for 13 years and learn a lot about management, expectations & how employees could advance with knowledge and training. I thank this company for teaching me and guiding me through all those years of service. Would like to thank all the great District Managers who have stood by me and trained me throughout the years.

Cons

I decided to leave because of the expectations of this company and some of the upper management were greater than it was worth. I started to push myself to help out and run a high volume store till it tore me down. I should of just ran my store but I was made to feel like it was my duty to assist in major resets at other stores. Trying to keep KIP's that only increased as competitors increased. I would use my reward points to buy things to help meet the store monthly standards. This was of my choice, however, the pressure of always training employees and handling 50 plus hour weeks was tearing me down. Expectations are for perfection and not progress. Getting a 3% raise was what you worked extremely hard for every year. When a complaint came through your DM--you better have a good answer. I myself felt like the company wanted managers to be there 24/7. I never felt like the company ever listened to the managers. We where just paid to be there at beck and call. Its a shame because a lot of good people left feeling the same way. Pushing to increase cash flow is a retail standard. But keeping your employees happy about working for you is very important to meeting that goal. Let me end by saying I am not upset with Sally Beauty Supply, however, I should of put limitations on their expectations. Give it my best and have a life outside of the company.

Advice to Management

Try remembering your employees, both upper management and staff. If they are feeling like the company wants and needs them, you will meet goals that would be unexpected.

3. "Store Leader"

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time

Pros

Long term steady employment, scratchoffs are winning more than before,many things are changing for the positive

Cons

No matter how hard you try to hit set quotas, it feels like a carrot being dangled in front of you, impossible to reach. The TM is doing his job by setting the goals just out of reach so you cannot attain a bonus for your quarter. Chintzy on man hours. And the ever changing dress codes without compensation are ridiculous. All the reports required that keep us from attending the floor and employees, no actual training time.

Advice to Management

If you want a winning team, BE a winning team! St overworking your loyal people and dangling carrots we cannot reach while you up top line your pockets on our backs!

5. "Great company -Never boring"

Current Employee - Store Leader in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Store Leader in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We have great customers, great management team, great perks. Time flies too. Most staff stays for years, which says a lot- that the company treats us well.

Cons

Not enough staff to go around, hiring good dependable and hard working people isn't an easy task. Finding the perfect fit for your team is challenging

Advice to Management

Hire back up staff

6. "Merchandising Intern"

Former Employee - Merchandising Intern in Denton, TX
    Former Employee - Merchandising Intern in Denton, TX

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Getting to work in a corporate setting. The team teaches you a lot about the buying process, how to place orders, etc. Friendly work environment. Fun products, lots of free samples. The company really seems to care about its employees. The CEO Chris Brickman is very personable, completely opposite from a lot CEOs who are faceless.

Cons

Systems are a bit outdated. The company isn't and doesn't want to be a trendsetting company which it has the potential to be. Lack of planning and allocation teams make work for assistant buyers very difficult. They don't appear to have high hire-on rate for interns.

Advice to Management

Overall my experience at Sally was great. I would suggest expanding to get a planning and allocation team to take that workload off the assistant buyers.

"Sale prices don't show up in pos, raises are a dime or quarter per year for non-management; deceptive practices."

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Shiloh, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Shiloh, IL

I have been working at Sally Beauty part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relatively easy job for students; will work around your schedule, lots of free sample products.

Cons

Have to look up sale prices in a magazine (there are so many) or run down the isles to view in-store coupons because you get to fix the error if it doesn't ring correctly & deal w/unhappy customers that didn't get discounts

Advice to Management

Get into the new millenium, Corporate. Customers don't like to be cheated on sales & employees don't like to be paid peanuts!

8. "Good"

I have been working at Sally Beauty part-time

Pros

Good company to work for.

Cons

Not a lot of wiggle room in terms of hours.

9. "IT Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Denton, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Denton, TX

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good culture, career opportunities, company isfinancially sound

Cons

Office is located north of DFW. The traffic is rough due to construction.

"Has always been a positive experience."

Current Employee - Inside Sales Associate in Thornton, CO
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Associate in Thornton, CO

I have been working at Sally Beauty part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The realm of beauty is a growing industry and Sally is keeping pace with now as well as yesterday by providing quality products to the customer.

Cons

Working with the public is always a challenge and the frustration of a bad hair day can make for an unhappy customer .

Advice to Management

Keep in mind that no matter how large a company gets the men and women out on the trenches waiting on the customer and running your stores are the back bone of everything . Without us you don't have a company.

11. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garland, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garland, TX

I have been working at Sally Beauty part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Gain experience in Sales
    Gain some product knowledge
    Can be flexible at times
    Can work with some great people, Some not so great(that's just retail) but depending on who you work with it can be a very easy going environment.
    which is great to start out with when working, that way you can grow and become a better worker, not feel so pressured and intimated.

Cons

Sort of an on call job, which means its harder to make plans for yourself
    not knowing when you might be called in, or when the schedule might change.
    cant use coupons with your discount.
    Managers can make silly rules like you cant check out at the store you work at unless they are present; which has proved inconvenient many times.
    if you cant come in for someone it can be taken out on your schedule

Advice to Management

If you hire on more people, maybe the employees wouldn't feel so pressured if they were the only one to fill in for someone absent. Emergengies happen, nd when you cant leave work or have to come when something serious it happening, its hard to have work on your back. District Manager and manager can be understanding in the long run, but you feel pressured in the moment if that makes since.
    along with this the schedule could be more flexible set for those who have school and or another full time who want this job for the experience, Sally's provides great experience but its hard to be consistent when the store itself is not.