Sally Beauty Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sally Beauty CEO Chris Brickman
Chris Brickman

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay making it impossible to find good help when fast food restaurants pay over (in 65 reviews)

• I decided to leave because of the expectations of this company and some of the upper management were greater than it was worth (in 57 reviews)

1. "Learning experience."

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Lubbock, TX

I worked at Sally Beauty part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They teach you A LOT. They do trainings every month and if you ever get anything new, you'll know everything about it.
    You'll know that store in and out. It's great.
    Flexible schedule
    Fun place to work
    You get free products of their choosing. It's so that you can give an honest opinion on the product, making it more personable for the customer. It was actually a really neat thing they did.

Cons

The hours aren't consistent
    Some weeks it's 30+, some it's 12-20 for no reason
    Not everyone gives the customer professional advice, instead giving home remedies that often times backfire.

Advice to Management

Don't hire every winged eyeliner wearing purple haired girl that applies. Be intentional in your selections.

"Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free monthly products are awesome. Most customers are really nice. Sally's gives education on products/hair color (there are pros and cons to this) The only way to REALLY know about the products is to have used the products or ask customers what they thought. This helps a ton. This job is a lot easier if you have had beauty school experience because customers are VERY demanding. Literally, they expect you to give them a full color consult, walk them through every little step, and expect you to tell them exactly what their hair will turn out as. That can be difficult if you're not familiar with the products or difficult if you don't have prior experience.
    Your particular store experience will depend on your management. Some managers are great while some are terrible. Being as it is such a tiny store, who your management is and how they treat their employees will play a key factor in your happiness working at Sally Beauty.
    Vacation is nice because after you've worked at the store for a year you get a healthy amount of vacation. Vacation hours are earned based on how many hours you work!

Cons

Some customers are VERY rude. If you do not tell them exactly what they want to hear, they get snappy. A lot of people who do at home hair color don't understand the processes you have to go through to keep the hair safe and no matter how many times you explain it, they just don't want to accept what you're saying. This is insanely frustrating at times. The pay used to be good but in the last year or so, with minimum wage spikes, the company has refused to compensate employees for the past raises they've earned. Speaking from PERSONAL experience, they have refused to compensate me for my raises as well as refusing to compensate me for having beauty school/salon experience. When I started in 2014, associates with beauty school/cosmo experience for higher wages for having experience. I'm not really sure why corporate decided to take that away. It's very frustrating. It makes wanting to go to work very hard.
    As I was saying in the pros section... your management will definitely make or break your experience at the store.

Advice to Management

Sally Beauty needs to focus on the Sales Associates, Assistant Managers, and Store Managers happiness and PAY. Really need to rethink their pay system because the VALUABLE employees with experience are not getting paid fairly and it makes for unhappy associates. They are the people who make the money for the people at the top. If it weren't for us, they would have no money.

3. "District Manager"

Former Employee - District Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - District Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Beauty industry is always fun and Sally's is #1 with current beauty trends. Environment is fast pace with great reward incentive programs to motivate staff. The company is very huge on success recognition and internal promotions.

Cons

A lot of travel and long hours, especially during holidays

"Growing and Learning Company"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Turnersville, NJ
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Turnersville, NJ

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I was with Sally Beauty for 13 years and learn a lot about management, expectations & how employees could advance with knowledge and training. I thank this company for teaching me and guiding me through all those years of service. Would like to thank all the great District Managers who have stood by me and trained me throughout the years.

Cons

I decided to leave because of the expectations of this company and some of the upper management were greater than it was worth. I started to push myself to help out and run a high volume store till it tore me down. I should of just ran my store but I was made to feel like it was my duty to assist in major resets at other stores. Trying to keep KIP's that only increased as competitors increased. I would use my reward points to buy things to help meet the store monthly standards. This was of my choice, however, the pressure of always training employees and handling 50 plus hour weeks was tearing me down. Expectations are for perfection and not progress. Getting a 3% raise was what you worked extremely hard for every year. When a complaint came through your DM--you better have a good answer. I myself felt like the company wanted managers to be there 24/7. I never felt like the company ever listened to the managers. We where just paid to be there at beck and call. Its a shame because a lot of good people left feeling the same way. Pushing to increase cash flow is a retail standard. But keeping your employees happy about working for you is very important to meeting that goal. Let me end by saying I am not upset with Sally Beauty Supply, however, I should of put limitations on their expectations. Give it my best and have a life outside of the company.

Advice to Management

Try remembering your employees, both upper management and staff. If they are feeling like the company wants and needs them, you will meet goals that would be unexpected.

"Has always been a positive experience."

Current Employee - Inside Sales Associate in Thornton, CO
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Associate in Thornton, CO

I have been working at Sally Beauty part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The realm of beauty is a growing industry and Sally is keeping pace with now as well as yesterday by providing quality products to the customer.

Cons

Working with the public is always a challenge and the frustration of a bad hair day can make for an unhappy customer .

Advice to Management

Keep in mind that no matter how large a company gets the men and women out on the trenches waiting on the customer and running your stores are the back bone of everything . Without us you don't have a company.

7. "Store Managers get perks; employees not so much."

Former Employee - Store Manager in West Bend, WI
    Former Employee - Store Manager in West Bend, WI

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Earn all expense paid trips by simply running your store correctly, and training your staff.

Cons

They expect miracles - there aren't enough hours in a day, and they work management to the point of physical and mental burn out.

Advice to Management

Don't expect from your employees what you're unwilling to put forth yourself.

8. "inspires loyalty"

Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Job security
    Great benefits
    Many opportunities to advance

Cons

Small staff
    Pay is not comparable to most retail

9. "Review"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Berwyn, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Berwyn, IL

I worked at Sally Beauty part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You learn a lot about beauty care for your hair, your nails, your body, makeup, everything is in there that you need. Even electronics. Straighteners, razors, pedicures, manicures, LED lights. Etc

Cons

It was only part time which isn't a whole lot of money at the end of your pay period.

Advice to Management

Consider change..

"Okay job to obtain management experience"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are wonderful but you can rarely take advantage of them because there is never enough staff!

Cons

Short staffed, lower than average pay.

Advice to Management

Get it together! Great company that could really grow with the proper training and acknowledgement of hardworking staff.

11. "Store leader"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful company, great incentives, free samples to try, much training and always opportunity to advance. Fun and always changing atmosphere, new products weekly.

Cons

45 hour workweek , have to deal with associates not being reliable when working with low amount of store hours.

Advice to Management

Upper management is wonderful