Sally Beauty Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 15, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay was the biggest problem I had (in 72 reviews)

• I decided to leave because of the expectations of this company and some of the upper management were greater than it was worth (in 65 reviews)

"Sallys is a good place to work."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Pearl, MS
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Pearl, MS

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great training. You know exactly what's expected from you when you start, and you are shown synarios of different ways of achieving your goals. They also have great insentive programs. I won several nice prizes and if you make your annual sales goals you win awesome trips to places like Cancun and Jamaica.

Cons

The only negative is the pay is low. But, they do make up for it with all the great incentives.

Advice to Management

I was the manager so all I can speak for is my DM. Tim Fielder. And all I can tell him is keep doing just as you are doing. I consider him one of the best DMs I've ever had. Great person to work under!!

2. "Store Manager"

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time

Pros

Benefits, quarterly bonuses, monthly incentives

Cons

Average pay, high turn around

Advice to Management

Love my job. Just wished it payed a little more

"store manager"

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

benefits are okay, currently still get the chance to earn reward points to redeem for prizes , not sure how much longer that will last. honestly not to many pros to this job.

Cons

under paid for management, lots of changes not all bad but hard to get clear answers from HR department as the department will tell you one thing and then your HR business partner tells you something completely different, technical support cant usually help fix POS problems, high turn over, not a good balance between work and personal. even when you're not at work you will still get constant calls from everyone.

""Beauty Advisor""

I worked at Sally Beauty part-time

Pros

Employee discount, camaraderie among coworkers and manager, some customers are actually very nice.

Cons

Micromanagement from coworkers; too much time spent on customers who can't make up their mind; unorganized and environmentally unethical company to work for (lots of product wasted); not enough pay for the amount of work done.
    Customers will also try to talk down to you or get rude with you if they don't agree with what you try to tell them (so no, the customer is not always right). I also found that while you do learn new things to a degree, it's really just repeating the same thing you've been told to tell customers. The job got very redundant at a point in time.

Advice to Management

There needs to be more consistency and less product waste

"Horrible management"

I worked at Sally Beauty part-time

Pros

Benefits are good, free items every month

Cons

If you like being treated like the scum from the bottom of your shoe then this job is perfect for you

Advice to Management

You're not royalty try treating the people who actually make the numbers with a little more dignity and respect

"Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Duluth, MN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Duluth, MN

I worked at Sally Beauty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Samples and employee incentives are all that's left.

Cons

Too much workload for too little pay. Starts new managers higher than your senior managers who have stuck through the awful transition to the "New" Sally Beauty. They basically terminated half of the DMs and TMs to cut costs and it's been awful since that happened. Oh and don't expect a decent raise even when you're a top performer and won a Presidents award last year, I could only get 1.00 more per hour and it took 6 weeks to get. I gave up at that point and got a different job. Also, you will have extremely lean staffing, expect to work by yourself and help dozens of customers with no break. Watch your merchandise walk out the door, hope you can keep giving amazing customer service when you came even help people because you are so busy. You also may close by yourself so expect unsafe working conditions for you and your staff! No extra hours given to train new stuff or update the stores, these things are expected to be done while you are helping customers during business hours. Ever since the transition, I have seen my DM once in 6 months. Basically you are thrown to the wolves with zero support.

Advice to Management

Please pay people a living wage. You can not expect people to live off of these low wages. Pay people fairly across the board. You should know that most employees share their wages with each other. It is unfair to hire new people more than your veteran employees. Allow your managers to work 40 hours instead of 45. This job has zero work life balance. Keep the incentive trip as this is the only thing most managers look forward to lately. Also, look at team share incentives. This would give all employees a vested part in the sales goal. Also, support your employees better. Send help when your stores need people, don't expect your employees to work themselves ragged when employees quit. Also, give your stores more payroll hours and they will make more money and have less external shrink. You can not expect employees to work by themselves until 1 pm and sometimes have to close by themselves. You also expect management to do to much workload, stop with the unnecessary price changes and gigantic POG updates all at once. You also should allow POG updates to be done while the store is closed or give more payroll hours to get them completed. Also, give extra hours for training. On a 95 hour store, there is no time to properly train your new hires. Basically the jist of this message is quit expecting your store managers to build Rome in a Day! Respect and treat them right and you will have better retention!

"Just Don't Do It"

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Springfield, MA

I have been working at Sally Beauty part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Product samples are full size

Cons

Just about everything at Sally Beauty is a con. I have never worked with more than three coworkers. If you apply for part time, plan on being a full time employee and then some. Kiss any life goodbye, as you will be harassed on your (one) day off about nonsense. You will have your job threatened for deleting items from a transaction, not selling enough items of the month, or even not contributing your own money to make sales goal. Which is funny, because once you're with the company, they will hand you manager responsibilities on a minimum wage budget. If you value your sanity, run, don't walk, away from Sally Beauty.

Advice to Management

What management? We didn't have a manager for months.

8. "Beauty expert"

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time

Pros

Great experience
    Learn new things
    Meet new people

Cons

Giving customer service to nasty people

"Management unprepared for their role to run a store"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Newark, DE
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Newark, DE

I have been working at Sally Beauty part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good employee discount
    Flexible hours

Cons

Flexible hours
    Management unprofessional
    Inadequate training

Advice to Management

Make sure store managers understand sales, sales models, & dont consider smoking every 10 minutes working before putting them in charge of a store. Understand that some people do need training & everyone should receive consistent training for their role regardless of competency/experience. Be sure that managers are held accountable for keeping up with sales models to drive their employees to do better. If they don't understand it you can't expect a store to hit their goals because their manager doesn't understand what's going on.

10. "POS Help Desk"

I have been working at Sally Beauty full-time

Pros

Great company to work for, good hours, over time and people. Everyone here is awesome.

Cons

Pay could be better for what we have to put up with.

Advice to Management

Managements great.